• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Daytona 116520 SS DIAL GUIDE / period variation study

dc2_bb6_cu2

Renowned Member
18/6/17
Just reading through I can see the effort put in- great job. Not sure if it’s Tapatalk or what but I guess I’ll have to try to view pictures on the computer

Reactions: Spatiumtemporis

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Thanks guys. Noob is on the way. Got all parts ready. Getting ready for a nice Franken :)

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
Excellent thread, very informative and is book marked for me

topreplika

6/2/17
The best thread!! Thanks for sharing your work :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
Having trouble ID-ing this superluminova dial. Hopefully someone can give me a hand.
a5699ba1f2914cb1df2a125a8581d884.jpg
0ec0d4fb4f602fca19f90dfc86cf5477.jpg

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Having trouble ID-ing this superluminova dial. Hopefully someone can give me a hand.
a5699ba1f2914cb1df2a125a8581d884.jpg
0ec0d4fb4f602fca19f90dfc86cf5477.jpg

This one is part of the ‘tall O’ category. 'O' letters in the word chronometer are taller than the rest. Characteristics below :

- The middle line of the E sits lower, not CENTERED. It sits just below the letter's vertical midpoint
- 27 and 33 minute markers are short now
-31 min tick sits almost where the last S of the swiss ends. The 29th min tick sists almost under the M starts.

So in order to have a period corect build you need the following :

3. 2006-2008

- rehaut is engraved - not random! Serial may also be found between the lugs on the early 2006 models.
- fat hands
- short clasp ( some 2008 may have the new styled clasp though and if so it's folding part has a sanded look )
- EL (end link) is made out of 3 pieces clamped together
- green lume

4. 2009-2010

- rehaut is engraved - not random! (M or V in your case)
- fat hands
- new style clasp - sanded ( some 2009 may still have the old syle clasp )
- EndLink is made out of 3 pieces clamped together
- green lume

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp and Martycus

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
This one is part of the ‘tall O’ category. 'O' letters in the word chronometer are taller than the rest. Characteristics below :

- The middle line of the E sits lower, not CENTERED. It sits just below the letter's vertical midpoint
- 27 and 33 minute markers are short now
-31 min tick sits almost where the last S of the swiss ends. The 29th min tick sists almost under the M starts.

So in order to have a period corect build you need the following :

3. 2006-2008

- rehaut is engraved - not random! Serial may also be found between the lugs on the early 2006 models.
- fat hands
- short clasp ( some 2008 may have the new styled clasp though and if so it's folding part has a sanded look )
- EL (end link) is made out of 3 pieces clamped together
- green lume

4. 2009-2010

- rehaut is engraved - not random! (M or V in your case)
- fat hands
- new style clasp - sanded ( some 2009 may still have the old syle clasp )
- EndLink is made out of 3 pieces clamped together
- green lume

Thank you for your help kind sir. My issue with the Noobs is the Rehaut Engravings not being as good as gen. If only I can get away with a shaved rehaut, but I don't think that will match my dial config.

Also, from my research, I did find that 05-07 Serial Models is where the clasp transitions from older style to newer style. This is where they also went from no rehaut engravings so rehaut engravings. My concern now is that, is it possible to build No Rehaut Engravings + New Style Clasp, along with this SL Single Tick Dial?

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
Thank you for your help kind sir. My issue with the Noobs is the Rehaut Engravings not being as good as gen. If only I can get away with a shaved rehaut, but I don't think that will match my dial config.

Also, from my research, I did find that 05-07 Serial Models is where the clasp transitions from older style to newer style. This is where they also went from no rehaut engravings so rehaut engravings. My concern now is that, is it possible to build No Rehaut Engravings + New Style Clasp, along with this SL Single Tick Dial?
I'm also not sure if RSC offers the new style clasp on older 116520's as a replacement for those who require a new band + clasp through service. I find the older clasps very hard to source, though I will admit that they are far more comfortable than the new style.

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
I'm also not sure if RSC offers the new style clasp on older 116520's as a replacement for those who require a new band + clasp through service. I find the older clasps very hard to source, though I will admit that they are far more comfortable than the new style.

The new style clasp came around late 2008 - early 2009. So if y I u sand away the rehaut you will need a diff dial to be period correct and an old style clasp.

Reactions: lpl

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
1.Flat 4 serif dials ~2001-2005 (edit) :

EDIT2 :
initially i've thought this dial was produced till 2003, but i've found a 2005 D model with the same dial.
I have also found 2 other 2006 daytonas with the same dial but these watches might as well be 2005 .

Although I’m not 100% sure ,It seems that the 1st 116520 daytona to come out was the white dial version.
This dial is pretty much similar to the black counterpart, having a similar print layout:

- The middle line of the E in ROLEX looks short and centered.
- the 4 in the 40 of the 6 o'clock seconds subdial is flat / upper part of the 4 is flat and wide
- 'O' in 'oyster' looks to be somewhere between 0 and O
- 'swiss made' is serif
- The minute ticks under SWISS MADE almost touch the font. The 31 min tick hits the S bottom left while the 29th min tick sits in the center of the letter M
- 27 and 33 minute markers are long

flat4-dials.jpg

EDIT #3 :

I found yet another difference between the dials in this category :

2001 dials are diffrent from the newer ones (2002-2005) .
Although the layout and font are pretty much the same there are some subtle differences that set them apart.
This makes the 2001 dial even more unique!

Here is what i've found till now that set's this apart from the rest above :

- SWISS MADE sits a little farther away from the short ticks. I mean the gap between the font and the ticks is a bit bigger on the 2001 dial.
- The 31 min tick hits the S letter bottom left while the 29th min tick sits just before the center of the letter M ! While on the newer dilas (2002-2005) the 29th tick sits just after M's center! I don't think i'm gonna be able to explain thi any better with my current english skills :)
- The digit 1 in the '10' from the minute counter is diffrent . Looks more pointy

Reactions: stufuse and vcappp

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
Many thanks for your time and generosity ! Now we can do franken period correct :) !

Reactions: Spatiumtemporis