• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What Glue or Tape for New insert?

breitlingwatch

11/9/10
I have a noob v7 that im trying to put a new insert on. I removed the old one but I can't figure out what type of double sided tape or glue to use. My intention is to have it strong enough to be submersible in sea water but id also like to be able to remove it incase id like to sell the insert late (its gen).

PS I have gorilla glue on hand

lukedh45622

Known Member
12/9/15
I use 3M 9448A double sided tape - very strong even fit but still able to remove if you ever want to change insert

breitlingwatch

11/9/10
These are good. Just make sure to get them perfectly positioned the first time or you'll waste one trying to adjust it. They are really strong. Also available on ebay, also available in a 5 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/ADHESIVE-RING.../dp/B07D6T27GB

Any of these available in stores? Im kind of in the middle of doing this.. lol I thought some household glues would've worked. The stock stuff seems to be some sort of silicone??

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Any of these available in stores? Im kind of in the middle of doing this.. lol I thought some household glues would've worked. The stock stuff seems to be some sort of silicone??

Not that I know of. You can use all sorts of stuff to do this, silicone caulk, crazy glue, gorilla glue, epoxy, double-sided tape on a roll, etc. The link I posted is the product that is the cleanest, easiest and most flexible for later removal if necessary. If you choose to use glue I recommend slow cure epoxy so you have time to align properly. Use a lot less than you think you need or it will ooze out and become unsightly or a mess or both.

atldml

Known Member
10/5/15
In my haste, I once used superglue. It is holding up well but now my bezel doesn't turn. Wish I had researched it a bit first.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

breitlingwatch

11/9/10
In my haste, I once used superglue. It is holding up well but now my bezel doesn't turn. Wish I had researched it a bit first.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
KJ2020 I am very worried about that. I think some silicone will work until I get the double sided tape that kj posted comes in

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
breitlingwatch Dont use super glue ! This will do lots of damage. Use a few small spots of GS hypo cement.. recommended for watches and jewelry and you can heat up the insert to soften the glue in the future if you want replace it

breitlingwatch

11/9/10
Just in case anyone finds this thread in the same position I was.. You just need a little bit of silicone and a tiny paint brush

1.Take a thin layer of silicone and apply to the back of the insert
2. Center and set
3. Let Dry for about 24 hours.

This should last as Long as I need it to and should be just fine in the water.

If you have the time I think the 3m double sided linked above would probably be the best and easiest option

262quxs.jpg

Reactions: KJ2020

Subzed

24/4/18
Use a few small spots of GS hypo cement.. recommended for watches and jewelry and you can heat up the insert to soften the glue in the future if you want replace it

This.
And I agree the 3M discs are great.
Dont let your impatience ruin a project you’ve already put time into even if you think it’s not a big deal. You’ll be disappointed later.

breitlingwatch

11/9/10
This.
And I agree the 3M discs are great.
Dont let your impatience ruin a project you’ve already put time into even if you think it’s not a big deal. You’ll be disappointed later.

I think silicone should be perfect, Its highly water resistant, sticks very well and is easily removable if need be

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
A water based silicon should work fine. If you come across the hypo cement grab a tube. Its has a very fine aplicator tube for fiddly jobs and youll get years out of it

Hxcso.md.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've used super glue without issue, you just need to be careful and it depends on the type of insert you're using. I'm a serial insert swapper and since it's much easier to swap a bezel than an insert (assuming you have the right tool, i.e., a bezel remover), I have a number of extra bezels with inserts permanently glued into them. Aftermarket inserts are almost always thinner than factory stock, so getting the insert to sit flush with the bezel rim becomes a challenge.

I used small pieces of 316L wire inserted perpendicularly between the bezel teeth and the underside of the insert to force the insert up to flush. Then I painted a thin bead of super glue in the gap, removing the wire as I went. The fast dry quick adhesion of the super glue was ideal for this application. It also helped that the the bezel was off the watch.

HxBub.jpg

Hxrx3.jpg

15405009259600.jpg

15401465432780.jpg

15346295120562.jpg

20180925-191709e.jpg

Reactions: johnlogan

breitlingwatch

11/9/10
I've used super glue without issue, you just need to be careful and it depends on the type of insert you're using. I'm a serial insert swapper and since it's much easier to swap a bezel than an insert (assuming you have the right tool, i.e., a bezel remover), I have a number of extra bezels with inserts permanently glued into them. Aftermarket inserts are almost always thinner than factory stock, so getting the insert to sit flush with the bezel rim becomes a challenge.

I used small pieces of 316L wire inserted perpendicularly between the bezel teeth and the underside of the insert to force the insert up to flush. Then I painted a thin bead of super glue in the gap, removing the wire as I went. The fast dry quick adhesion of the super glue was ideal for this application. It also helped that the the bezel was off the watch.

HxBub.jpg

Hxrx3.jpg

15405009259600.jpg

15401465432780.jpg

15346295120562.jpg

20180925-191709e.jpg

Why not leave the tube in there?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Why not leave the tube in there?

Not sure what you mean by the "tube". Are you talking about the short pieces of 316L wire I used to create the gap? Those were inserted perpendicularly as temporary wedges. You could bend them into a curve and leave them in, 6 or 8 pieces. It would require some careful bending and the bulk would allow glue to spread to the bezel teeth more easily without providing substantial benefit.

Or are you talking about the flat bezel retaining ring? The bezel retaining ring goes under the bezel teeth. Although I have stacked an extra 2 of those in that gap which helps but is not as flush as gluing, plus the insert can be rotationally loose.

Engelmatch

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
6/12/18
is there a specific tool to remove the bezel assembly ? i'm having difficulties with my noob v8 no date
thanks