• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Movement for a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Milgauss?

awscreo

Looking Around
17/1/19
Hi all!

Wanted to see if anyone can help me locate a movement I can buy for this watch. I got it as a gift few years back and didn't really pay attention to it (it was in the drawer for at least 3 years), I think movement got screwed up in that time - it now is not running smooth at all, stutters, and if I shake it a bit it stops for a second. I wasn't into watches back then, but recently I'm starting to get into this new hobby to me, and decided to maybe try to fix this watch, it looks like a pretty good quality replica, would be a shame to just toss it away (plus it was a gift).

So I was wondering, what movement I can buy (inexpensive one if possible) to replace the one I have inside mine now? As stated, it's a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Milgauss replica, with no date complication.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction :)

Thanks!

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
Please send us some pictures of the watch, we need to have an idea of it before we can recommend a movement.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

nonox

30/3/12
when you turn the winder to set the time clockwise, in which direction do the hands go ?

if the hands advance, the movement is a Rolex clone 3131 (sh3131 probably). if the hands go back, the movement is certainly a copy of an ETA movement.

Reactions: KJ2020

awscreo

Looking Around
17/1/19
I managed to open the watch (with a rubber ball thingy from amazon). I think I have the seagull ST1612, or something resembling it very closely. I've been researching on the internet, seems I should be able to get either a ST1612, or Miyota 8215, or even DG2813 and just drop it instead of the broken movement. But I'm kind of interested in modding the watch now, considering replacing the dial, hands, getting a higher beat movement (ST2130).

I know I can get the dial and hands for the new movemen, and the crown/stem as well, that's the easy part. I'm trying to find a new movement ring for the ST2130 but I can't :(
And I can't figure out if ST2130 fits into the movement ring I have now. I'd like to get a steel movement ring anyway if I can, mine is plastic.

Since this rep is not a very good one, I figured I'll just try to make a whole other watch out of it and just wear it as that.

pip72

21/2/19
I have the same issue, I have a Clone ETA 2428 in my watch and the power reserve sucks and when I screw in the crown the second hand stops in 5 minutes. I am looking for a high end clone 3131 movement or another movement such as a Seagull or Miyota. What did you end up getting?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I managed to open the watch (with a rubber ball thingy from amazon). I think I have the seagull ST1612, or something resembling it very closely. I've been researching on the internet, seems I should be able to get either a ST1612, or Miyota 8215, or even DG2813 and just drop it instead of the broken movement. But I'm kind of interested in modding the watch now, considering replacing the dial, hands, getting a higher beat movement (ST2130).

I know I can get the dial and hands for the new movemen, and the crown/stem as well, that's the easy part. I'm trying to find a new movement ring for the ST2130 but I can't :(
And I can't figure out if ST2130 fits into the movement ring I have now. I'd like to get a steel movement ring anyway if I can, mine is plastic.

Since this rep is not a very good one, I figured I'll just try to make a whole other watch out of it and just wear it as that.

Be careful about switching movements. Very few of them have similar enough stem heights to be interchangeable in the same case. A 2824 will not work in a DG2813 case, for example. The stem will not line up with the tube. You have a little more flexibility with a no date dial because there's no date window or cyclops to line up. But it becomes a challenge (headache) to find just the right size dial spacer and movement holder when switching out an original movement for a different one. Always easiest to just replace a movement with the same type.

Reactions: pip72

pip72

21/2/19
Yes, I think the stem on this watch is to long, when I screw down the crown the watch second hand will stop after only 15 minutes or so on a full 40 wind. Also the rotor does not start up the watch at all.

pip72

21/2/19
Be careful about switching movements. Very few of them have similar enough stem heights to be interchangeable in the same case. A 2824 will not work in a DG2813 case, for example. The stem will not line up with the tube. You have a little more flexibility with a no date dial because there's no date window or cyclops to line up. But it becomes a challenge (headache) to find just the right size dial spacer and movement holder when switching out an original movement for a different one. Always easiest to just replace a movement with the same type.

The dial spacer does not have screws to mount it to the movement. and the spacer just slides around and the movement fits perfectly in the dial case. Where can I get screws and mount clasps to secure the movement?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ebay has screws/clamps kits, about $12 for 100 assorted

Reactions: pip72

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
In a situation like yours, some people would choose to glue the movement holder to the movement, then clamp the movement holder to the case. What I do is either clamp both the movement and the holder to the case with a long enough clamp, or you can use 4 clamps, clamping the movement to the holder and the holder to the case. This assumes you either have, or will make threaded holes in the holder.