• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex crystals from Crystal CleAR

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have to say the comparison might not be 100 percent fair. My DSXtal has only got AR application under the crystal. It has been applied cleanly. You can also get full ARed crystals from DS for the same price, too.
I didn’t provide the crystal. You can order this item completely ready for install from DS.

The prof crystal of course looks spectacular with its full AR.
Both cyclops have got a light blueish tint. Mag is the same.

This prof crystal is my second one. First item had a cyclops which scratched heavily after only a few days. Also mag was not o. k. because the contour was not properly mashined. Prof provided a spare part for shipping costs only. Great and fast support so far.

For now I installed the DSXtal because of the more gen like look. Will keep prof‘s crystal for another project or for spare.

Greets Andi

Appreciate all of your comparison posts. If both your Hulk pics were taken in the same light, it's easy to see the difference between black hole and 2xAR on the cyclops only. I have a 2xAR on the way from Prof to replace one where the glue between the cyclops and the crystal melted from the heat during the coating process. It was my own crystal. Steve said that happens sometimes with cheaper rep crystals/cyclops. It created significant bubbling under the cyclops, and some of the glue that ran out kept the coating from be applied around the cyclops. With your comment about AR scratching early on, I'm re-thinking the advisability of doing 2xAR at all. It really is an accident waiting to happen.

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
The scratches only occured on the cyclops surface. They were relatively deep and you could feel them with your fingernails.
The crystal itself didn’t scratch in that way. But there were many shimmering micro scratches visible under a loupe.

BTW:
How is the gen crystal ARed at the cyclops? Does Rolex only apply AR under the cyclops on the inner crystal side? Or do they apply AR on the outer curved cyclops side, too?

Greets Andi

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
They apply AR on the outer side of the crystal underneath the cyclops

tn_gmt2.jpg

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
I don’t think so! There isn’t any AR applied between cyclops and crystal. Only glue.
AR does only make sense at the edge between air and glass and vice versa.

So let‘s simplify my question:
Is there on the gen glass AR on the outer surface of the cyclops and under the cyclops area on the inner crystal side?
Or is the cyclops outer surface blank?

Greets Andi

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've seen conflicting reports. Personally I don't think there is AR anywhere but under the crystal, in the cyclops footprint. That is what Steve (Prof) said also. This article says differently, but it's vague.

https://monochrome-watches.com/the-rolex-cyclops-lens/

As easy as it is to scratch and ruin AR, it makes no sense to me that Rolex would put it where it would be so vulnerable. I never hear of gen owners complaining about it.

Another article says only under the crystal.

https://beckertime.com/blog/whats-rolex-cyclops/​​​​​​

Last edited:

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
the white glow was on old gens too, new gens now have blueish tint which looks bad as hell.

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18
This company is a shit show. I ordered a crystal 3 weeks ago and they still have not shipped it but have given me 2 tracking numbers that are pre-shipment with USPS meaning they never dropped off the crystal. They refunded half my order and apologized for the delay but still have not shipped my crystal. Do yourself a favor and avoid them at all costs if you want something in a timely matter.

Actual timeline:

Apr 24th: Order placed

Apr 29th: Order shipping email shows up but it didnt really ship, I received an email from ds xtal support saying it was accidentally marked shipped a new one would be shipped out next week.

May 3rd: Ask for an update - no response

May 7th - Ask for another update, they respond and say oops sorry with a promise to ship next Thursday afternoon (spoiler: it doesn't).

May 13th - Ask for another update - no response

May 14th - Ask for another update - they respond and give me a new non moving tracking number, same as above still in pre-shipment as of today.

May 16th - Ask for another update, no response.

Crystal is still MIA with no ETA and both tracking numbers are still in pre-shipment with USPS.

Anyone else order one recently and actually receive a product? I don't want to cancel the order because I want the crystal.

Last edited:

up2wind

Supporter
Certified
9/6/19
Have you received it?

By the way anyone has the link to prof crystal? Where can I order one?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This company is a shit show. I ordered a crystal 3 weeks ago and they still have not shipped it but have given me 2 tracking numbers that are pre-shipment with USPS meaning they never dropped off the crystal. They refunded half my order and apologized for the delay but still have not shipped my crystal. Do yourself a favor and avoid them at all costs if you want something in a timely matter.

Actual timeline:

Apr 24th: Order placed

Apr 29th: Order shipping email shows up but it didnt really ship, I received an email from ds xtal support saying it was accidentally marked shipped a new one would be shipped out next week.

May 3rd: Ask for an update - no response

May 7th - Ask for another update, they respond and say oops sorry with a promise to ship next Thursday afternoon (spoiler: it doesn't).

May 13th - Ask for another update - no response

May 14th - Ask for another update - they respond and give me a new non moving tracking number, same as above still in pre-shipment as of today.

May 16th - Ask for another update, no response.

Crystal is still MIA with no ETA and both tracking numbers are still in pre-shipment with USPS.

Anyone else order one recently and actually receive a product? I don't want to cancel the order because I want the crystal.

Wow, sorry to hear about this, I was getting ready to order one. Did you ever get your crystal?

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18
Wow, sorry to hear about this, I was getting ready to order one. Did you ever get your crystal?

I did, it took them an additional 2 weeks to get it to me and they ended up refunding the entire order after I complained again. I had another member PM me and his experience was the same. Very bizarre. I have the crystal at a watchsmith being swapped out but on initial inspection it seemed good. If you want to gamble on questionable communication and maybe up to 30 days to receive, I think its worth it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I did, it took them an additional 2 weeks to get it to me and they ended up refunding the entire order after I complained again. I had another member PM me and his experience was the same. Very bizarre. I have the crystal at a watchsmith being swapped out but on initial inspection it seemed good. If you want to gamble on questionable communication and maybe up to 30 days to receive, I think its worth it.

Yeah that sounds pretty sketchy. Did you get AR on just the bottom or the top too? Free crystal - woot!

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
I ordered a 2 X AR from them recently for UK shipping - smooth transaction and got a tracking reference within 48 hours.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe this would be an option. I'm going to try a 1xAR, bottom only. I've seen some issues of coating wear on the top. The entire bottom AR should be a step up from black hole, which is AR only under the cyclops footprint.

up2wind

Supporter
Certified
9/6/19
Can someone confirm that DSxtal Rolex 295C "Black Hole" Replacement Crystal comes with Laser Etched Crown LEC? The crown image at 6 o clock?

Jpt1991

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/6/19
Can someone confirm that DSxtal Rolex 295C "Black Hole" Replacement Crystal comes with Laser Etched Crown LEC? The crown image at 6 o clock?
Cant confirm these crystals do but can confirm Profs crystals do.