• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Opinion on Silix fantasy submariner?

ROXOLO

Known Member
9/12/18
I'm interested in the following watch:

http://www.silix-prime.me/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=115_158_226&products_id=1811

January special offer at silix.

I do like the fantasy dial and bezel, but other than that I'd like the watch to be decent, as in "not overly flawed" (case, bracelet, etc)... it's part of Silix "high quality watches" offering, wich just means it's not part of the cheapest selection but doesn't mean anything per se.

What's the opinion on that watch / or similar model from Silix?

Thanks!

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
Rolex never made one of these. This is probably the least accurate rep that is currently out there and the most probable to get called out on. Not sure what other stuff you're worried about or even why with this choice...

B

ROXOLO

Known Member
9/12/18
I'm fully aware of that, however 1) there are thousands of genuine rolexes with fantasy / aftermarket dials/inserts and if the case has correct dimensions / finish then I consider it a fun watch to own. Not trying to fool anyone except myself. But I won't buy the watch if the case is wrong or the rehault too thick or... you get my point.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'm interested in the following watch:

http://www.silix-prime.me/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=115_158_226&products_id=1811

January special offer at silix.

I do like the fantasy dial and bezel, but other than that I'd like the watch to be decent, as in "not overly flawed" (case, bracelet, etc)... it's part of Silix "high quality watches" offering, wich just means it's not part of the cheapest selection but doesn't mean anything per se.

What's the opinion on that watch / or similar model from Silix?

Thanks!

This sub I showed you in another thread yesterday was $239, so it's very close to the same original price point of the Red you like. I've been happy with it, it's one of my fav's in my daily rotation. The Red looks slightly lower quality to me, the SEL's are not great. The bracelet is cheaper quality, the clasp will probably have some sharp edges. Mine did, some careful sanding fixed that. The case and CG are passable but face it at $168 this is not ARF or NOOB quality.

7HAUX.jpg

As far as wearing a fantasy watch, I say go for it. I have many of them and love the ability to create my own designs and combos. The Red was probably a real Coke promotional at some time, but who cares? Wear what you like!

Another one of my fav's

l1BWr.jpg
​​​​​​

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
I say go for it if you like the watch. At $168 plus something for s&h, it's not a bad deal. Even if you got rid of the red dial and bezel insert, you'd have something to play with- a case, movement, and bracelet.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I say go for it if you like the watch. At $168 plus something for s&h, it's not a bad deal. Even if you got rid of the red dial and bezel insert, you'd have something to play with- a case, movement, and bracelet.

Exactly. Or just swap out the dial and hands and do this, like the Tudor Black Bay red. This is on my list and approaching entering the queue, hehe. I would use gold hands.

7XYeh.jpg

ROXOLO

Known Member
9/12/18
Do you guys think this is a decent enough rep to accept some gen parts (crystal, tube, crown for exemple)?

CarlosFFF

25/6/13
Do you guys think this is a decent enough rep to accept some gen parts (crystal, tube, crown for exemple)?

I doubt this. I vaguely remember from my early rep days that it's common for cheap reps to have a non-gen crystal dimension, as well as different threads for crowns & possibly an incompatible tube threading (requiring removal & retapping)

ROXOLO

Known Member
9/12/18
Hmm. Well if it’s « that bad » there’s always the option of buying the 75$ 21j version - I suppose it’s the same watch with a cheaper movement. I like the possibility of an evolution - some modding or upgrade. I guess I’ll just think about it some more. Dunno if it’s worth buying the Asian 2436 version even at discount?...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hmm. Well if it’s « that bad » there’s always the option of buying the 75$ 21j version - I suppose it’s the same watch with a cheaper movement. I like the possibility of an evolution - some modding or upgrade. I guess I’ll just think about it some more. Dunno if it’s worth buying the Asian 2436 version even at discount?...

Only worth buying if you leave it as is. The datewheels on a DG2813 are noticeably less gen like and therefore less enjoyable IMO. The 2836 Red is not worth spending another cent on to improve its quality, you could spend a little more on it to change the look as discussed above. The black/gold dial I posted is like $29. I wouldn't do anything more.

Compare these datewheels, you'll see what I mean about a DG2813

guvPT.jpg

NtVEG.jpg