• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First attempt to stripped off VR3135 movement

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
What do you think about the reversing wheels? Will the purple laquer peel of the teeth? Or is it a withstanding coating?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Did the gen crystal fit without problems? Gen like bezel construction?

Last edited:

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
excellent work thanks for the insight. Looks like it'll be going in my Franken..

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
I wonder what‘s up with the driving wheel. It is different from gen/ SH construction and missing a jewel. Same as SA3135, which makes ot incompatible with a gen spec replacement. It looks solid enough though.

Jeff92

Known Member
15/11/18
France
Thank’s Timto !

Looks great... Really looking for the hulk with this VR3135.

The Crystal on the 15th pic is the prof crystal ? Or VRF ? I thought that the prof hasn’t the crown at 6, or I must confuse with another one...

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I wonder what‘s up with the driving wheel. It is different from gen/ SH construction and missing a jewel. Same as SA3135, which makes ot incompatible with a gen spec replacement. It looks solid enough though.

Uh oh

I'm waiting till you've looked at one before I shell out on a watch I absolutely hate just to donor the movement then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timto1388

16/10/16
United Kingdom
What do you think about the reversing wheels? Will the purple laquer peel of the teeth? Or is it a withstanding coating?

From what I see the material similar as Gen but I don’t know exactly what is it ?
It’s not over coating for sure

timto1388

16/10/16
United Kingdom
Thank’s Timto !

Looks great... Really looking for the hulk with this VR3135.

The Crystal on the 15th pic is the prof crystal ? Or VRF ? I thought that the prof hasn’t the crown at 6, or I must confuse with another one...

This is Prof with LEc but to be honest they are not easy to notice

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Good catch bro. Here's a pic next to gen

7hnYr.jpg

Reactions: maxracingshox

nonox

30/3/12
So, you think gen autowind module will not fit ?

it would be a pity that the gen parts did not fit for future repairs.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
So, you think gen autowind module will not fit ?

it would be a pity that the gen parts did not fit for future repairs.

I don't think anyone knows for sure how compatible this movement is to gen parts in general.
The missing jewel is one of the three defining the driving wheel's position, while its intended purpose is to set the driving wheel's end shake. So the lower jewel in the genuine barrel bridge is not designed to give the driving wheel the correct end shake alone. It would have too much axial play, if you remove the jewel, that's also missing in vrf's movement.
The kind of construction Rolex chose is very unusual, but works.
To answer the question if and how well gen parts fit is next to impossible from my desk and can only be answered by testing it, but I am almost certain a gen driving wheel on a stock vrf 3135 will not fit properly. A solution could be to install a genuine lower auto winding bridge (usually makes more sense to install the complete auto winding module at that point) and genuine barrel bridge, if these parts fit.