• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

36mm unicorns?

WatchCool90210

20/1/17
20180219-125935.jpg

See what I mean?

thanks for sharing this.

I have a bp dd40 the wg roman dial, and it really looks good in person, and in certain lighting has the white gold luster.

one of my favorite pieces and one day ill pick up the gen.

MonsieurMax

I'm Pretty Popular
22/10/16
Earth
If you can find a gen day wheel to use it will need to be modded to fit the 2836 movment. It would most likely need to be used as an overlay.

Yup, I found gen day wheel datewheel and dial and hands for a pretty good price, so I may pick that up one of these days when I have the funds. Also to go the extra step you can use the BP endlinks and mod an aftermarket solid gold bracelet to fit it which would be my end goal

Reactions: Versaceboy54

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
Yup, I found gen day wheel datewheel and dial and hands for a pretty good price, so I may pick that up one of these days when I have the funds. Also to go the extra step you can use the BP endlinks and mod an aftermarket solid gold bracelet to fit it which would be my end goal

That would be one amazing DD build with all those gen parts! I never thought about using the endlinks from the BP on an aftermarket gold bracelet.
Please post pics of this amazing build once it’s done :)

MonsieurMax

I'm Pretty Popular
22/10/16
Earth
That would be one amazing DD build with all those gen parts! I never thought about using the endlinks from the BP on an aftermarket gold bracelet.
Please post pics of this amazing build once it’s done :)

I'll try I'll try, I found most of the parts now it's just a funding thing now. I have a lot of money tied into another build but I'll definitely try to go through with this idea.

I would be using BP endlinks because the aftermarket gold bracelet endlinks are all for 5 digit builds

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17

You are going to have color issue. The white gold (actually industry called it gray gold) is going to have a bit of a coppery bronze finish. You will need to rhodium plate it (next to impossible to disassemble the gold bracelet) and even then it will look different against another metal type.

The other issue you will need to tackle is trying to use a gen day wheel as an overlay. 1) you might not have the space between the bottom of the dial and the wheel. Its going to be tight and the tolerances on these BPs are not good. 2) The window itself might not line up with the gen wheel. I strongly suspect this is the case as the BP day wheel text is prob the correct diameter and they messed up on cutting the window. A gen dial overlay might not solve the issue.

Note: I am not trying to be negative here, but rather to help you with issues before you spend a boatload of money chasing parts.

My honest advice is to not make these into something they are not...they are close as it is, and I agree, I hate the day font, but it is what it is.

Reactions: sparkybologny

MonsieurMax

I'm Pretty Popular
22/10/16
Earth
You are going to have color issue. The white gold (actually industry called it gray gold) is going to have a bit of a coppery bronze finish. You will need to rhodium plate it (next to impossible to disassemble the gold bracelet) and even then it will look different against another metal type.

The other issue you will need to tackle is trying to use a gen day wheel as an overlay. 1) you might not have the space between the bottom of the dial and the wheel. Its going to be tight and the tolerances on these BPs are not good. 2) The window itself might not line up with the gen wheel. I strongly suspect this is the case as the BP day wheel text is prob the correct diameter and they messed up on cutting the window. A gen dial overlay might not solve the issue.

Note: I am not trying to be negative here, but rather to help you with issues before you spend a boatload of money chasing parts.

My honest advice is to not make these into something they are not...they are close as it is, and I agree, I hate the day font, but it is what it is.

No offense taken at all, this will be a long and expensive project I'll probably start in a few months, I'm still buying another expensive watch right now.

I am aware of some issues, I know grey gold is definitely a problem, if I'd probably opt for a yellow gold model.

This is what I would be looking at aquiring over time:
- solid gold bracelet
- gen crystal
- gen dial
- gen datewheel
- gen day wheel
- gold bezel
- maybe gen hands depending on what I can make work

Do you think it would be a better idea to take an ARF and re work and gold plate the case?

I heard you can convert a 3135 into a 3155 with a few gen parts, the same way you can convert a 3135 into a 3186.

It will take me a long time to collect parts and pay for everything, but it's definitely a nice project that I or somebody else one day works on

I like it when people on this forum have constructive discussion in how to make a good watch. I want somebody to have a crazy daydate Franken

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
If you are going to do that many gen parts, you might as well just snag an 18038. :)

ARF DJ is a different case than DD. They are not the same. Make sure the bracelet is 18K, and not 14K. Some of the aftermarket cos get cute. And I think, but dont know, that adding a gen day complication to an asian clone might not work. I would urge you to find this out before finding any gen parts. I really think the $200 BP is not terrible out of the box, especially considering the work you are proposing. Just my 2c.

Edit: Look, I really think you get the BP YG first (Im not linking to the non-TD site, but you know which one) and if you hate it then look at modifying it.

Reactions: corleone911