• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex GMT 6542

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
Just saw this one popping here https://ts-station.cn/goods.php?ProId=25465 (i think it's not a TD here so i hope it's ok to post a link)

I was interested in building one at some point but the total budget made me forget about it. And then this one comes fully build, with every thing i'm looking for (bakelite insert+roulette date wheel ) at a price bellow of just the price of the insert+dial of what i saw before, so i'm very tempted. I don't like the dial, but well, even if add a dial on the final price i very bellow what i saw before.

What do you think?

clevername1234

Horology Curious
28/5/18
I think you're going to be disappointed with anything less than a custom build. I had tripdog build me a 6542 and I still grin like an idiot every time I look at my wrist. Save up your money and splurge on a quality build.

Also, I'm not an expert on the 6542 but the bezel colors look way off on the rep you linked and I've never seen that dial on the 6542.

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
I wrote my opinion on it here https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-by-ts-station

its very hard to say. It’s also why you never really see any reviews done until someone has the end product in their hands

Honestly, no matter how you size it, for the $$$ it’s very good. The puretime one which was selling for similar dollars was an absolute joke and abomination. You will need to add over $1k on to the price to get something from ‘Nam - there is no reason why you couldn’t get this and slowly mod it into a more expensive version as well

cleavername123 has spent a lot of money on his custom build and tripdog’s creations are marvellous. With that said; let’s not forget the difference in $$ figures are vast and the argument is built on shaky grounds. Like for instance a guy asking about a TC build only to get a response that a gen Rolex for 4-5 times the price is better

There is no reason why you couldn’t take the middle road approach and buy this watch. Covert it into low beat and buy an expensive dial

This is all speculation until one of us buys it and does a real world review

clevername1234

Horology Curious
28/5/18
I agree that price is a huge factor but the difference might not be so large after OP mods the ts watch to his liking. Including a quality rivet bracelet, I spent a total of roughly $1.5K USD. So with $368 + low beat movement + dial + labor, OP would be getting up into the high hundreds.

But ultimately, yes, if that price difference is a deal breaker, then I agree the ts watch could be a decent compromise. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing a review :)

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
My budget dilema is first that 1500$ is roughly the price of a few gen i'd like to buy, and then that i wouldn't be confortable to wear a watch that, full gen, cost around 100.000$ on a daily basis (and i wouldn't be confortabl if it was a gen too ! At least as a daily beater)

But i really love this watch, so the "toy" option seems a nice settlement!

I think i'm gonna go for it, but a bit later, i have a few expense this month. I'll definitely do a review if i go for it

clevername1234

Horology Curious
28/5/18
Good point, now I'm thinking that I need a beater for my rep!

Sounds good man, looking forward to the review.

TonySoprano1

12/6/13
If it didn't have a double stamped dial I would have gone for it.

When you're talking vintage 6542 - anybody who is in the know can spot a fake a mile off - regardless of what dial is on.

Anything that isn't genuine will be called out.