• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sub parts arrived!!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Received Gen crystal and gasket not too thrilled...

​​​​​​​Here It is (left) GEN stated.. up against my old TC V6 crystal (right)

Heck! The TC looks better then this "stated Gen" (ebay purchase) on its way back!

I don't see the ring shining in the sun?! :rofl:

It's Okay, no rush I'll wait and keep my eyes open. Anybody know of crystals or has some please PM me

Thanks!

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Do you know if your TC had AR? Your eBay crystal could be a gen with no AR, making it look less good to your eye than one with AR. 16610 before 2008 - if I recall - had no AR under the Cyclop

PatrickA

Known Member
26/6/15
for what it is worth to you, yesterday I compared my Crystal from my TC LV V7X (no AR) with my GEN 16710 crystal (no AR) and I could see no differences in glare or whatsoever - compared them in and outside

SubdayExpress

Village Idiot
30/12/15
I have an ST based build and agree with your opening comments on the lack of chamfers on the case - CGs are also a bit stubby. However, it is absolutely the best choice for the money on any holed case sub build! Not sure if you’re set on the ETA movement, but I micght suggest looking at a SH3135 (depending on your budget of course). You won’t have to clip the feet on the gen dial, and it will accept both a gen datewheel and gen hands.

Either way, enjoying this thread and keep the pics coming!!

SubdayExpress

Village Idiot
30/12/15
8fe904e58b946157370efbb5541ba627.jpg

Reactions: Maron

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Do you know if your TC had AR? Your eBay crystal could be a gen with no AR, making it look less good to your eye than one with AR. 16610 before 2008 - if I recall - had no AR under the Cyclop

Thanks for your reply!

It's just that I used to have a franken tc with gen crystal I installed myself that no longer had, hence this build project, and the crystal received from ebay is completely off and screams after market.

I didn't post other pics of it but there is other tells it isn't Gen, cyclops being one of them, Foggy like a Haze over it. + the outer edge isn't fine crisp cut like gen. Maybe I can post additional pics

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
for what it is worth to you, yesterday I compared my Crystal from my TC LV V7X (no AR) with my GEN 16710 crystal (no AR) and I could see no differences in glare or whatsoever - compared them in and outside

That's awesome news! I guess Mr. Creddle did very well with His v7 version because I could tell between Gen and my TV V6 model. Not saying it wasn't good but the color of the crystal even gave it away. Has a blue tone to it and not just the cyclops lens. + The beveled edge sat lower and didn't have the correct angle.

Thanks for your reply and info of the TC v7x version crystal! :)

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I have an ST based build and agree with your opening comments on the lack of chamfers on the case - CGs are also a bit stubby. However, it is absolutely the best choice for the money on any holed case sub build! Not sure if you’re set on the ETA movement, but I micght suggest looking at a SH3135 (depending on your budget of course). You won’t have to clip the feet on the gen dial, and it will accept both a gen datewheel and gen hands.

Either way, enjoying this thread and keep the pics coming!!

I totally agree with all that you said! But for now and this moment I am set on using eta for 2 reasons reliability and costs. Trying to keep a decent budget on this one. Maybe in the future it will have an SH3135 in it as this one will be my new daily and forever peice that can be maintained as life goes on parts are all over the place that could simply be purchased!

glad your enjoying the thread pics more to come as this build unfolds!

cheers mate!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16

Lovely peice mate! Got every thing matching on this one! Even Gen bracelet great job!!

I'm going to stick with ST bracelet with Gen 93150 clasp . I'd say the ST bracelet (except clasp) is quite good! Even the connection peices at the SEL side is correct first I see this on after market parts for Rolex.

enjoy your Sub mate!

PatrickA

Known Member
26/6/15
That's awesome news! I guess Mr. Creddle did very well with His v7 version because I could tell between Gen and my TV V6 model. Not saying it wasn't good but the color of the crystal even gave it away. Has a blue tone

From what I have read that some of the V6 version indeed had blueish AR which is not the case at the V7X

SubdayExpress

Village Idiot
30/12/15
Lovely peice mate! Got every thing matching on this one! Even Gen bracelet great job!!

I'm going to stick with ST bracelet with Gen 93150 clasp . I'd say the ST bracelet (except clasp) is quite good! Even the connection peices at the SEL side is correct first I see this on after market parts for Rolex.

enjoy your Sub mate!

The ST bracelet is really, really well made however, the sides of the links are polished rather than brushed. But it’s nothing that can’t be taken care of!!

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I have a few pictures of the case set complete earlier in this thread.

what did you want to see closer I could maybe take a few more shots at it

I guess I meant more of the fact that the startime 16610 case is for a 3035 and I’m wondering how a SH3135 stem will line up with the tube? I’m hoping it works and then I’ll get a case on my next order. And I’m hoping the Gen crystal fits and the startime bezel is compatable with the Gen insert. How is the rehaut depth compared to a Gen 16610 or even compared to your TC? The rehaut depth will determine if I make a 16610 or a 16800. The 16800 rehaut is shallower.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I guess I meant more of the fact that the startime 16610 case is for a 3035 and I’m wondering how a SH3135 stem will line up with the tube? I’m hoping it works and then I’ll get a case on my next order. And I’m hoping the Gen crystal fits and the startime bezel is compatable with the Gen insert. How is the rehaut depth compared to a Gen 16610 or even compared to your TC? The rehaut depth will determine if I make a 16610 or a 16800. The 16800 rehaut is shallower.

Ok I see now you’re using a 2824. That’s about the same stem height as a 3135. Eta2836 is closer to the 3035 stem position. I’d love to see a pic into the tube hole to see how it all lines up during assembly. Of course you can fine tune it with diff dial spacers, but not much. I’m excited to see this come together. There’s a guy on VRF selling Gen 93150 clasps for $250-300. Not a bad deal.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
The ST bracelet is really, really well made however, the sides of the links are polished rather than brushed. But it’s nothing that can’t be taken care of!!

Your totally right about the really really made well part! And now they have gotten even better!! The sides are no longer polished but brushed as Gen (up & down) same as TC and the rest of it is also really well brushed almost feels a little gritty to the touch but it is the fine fine straight brush strokes which work in to a fine feeling smooth as Gen in about a week of wear. I have been wearing it on my Hamilton Khaki 38mm field watch looks great on it reminds me of an explorer 36 :)

Do not brush this band before at least a week wear you'll be completely satisfied :)

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16

Good day to you Dizzy!

Actually you may be mistaken about the 3035 and the 3135 case sets, The one I have is indeed the 3135 case which fits Gen and SH3135 movement with out and problems/modding.

The ST case your talking about is the one I was after being that my original build was supposed to be the 14060 no date sub That case indeed has a shallower rehaut then 16610.

BUT, unfortunately they no longer offer that case or I'd have to purchase them both!

The build quality of ST cases are right on par with Gen spec, (a side of the actual case, lugs fat CG short) The internals for movement and bezel assembly should be right on.

The Gen stated crystal and gasket fit on the case hassle free pressed on the ST crystal retainer ring and ST bezel spring and ST click spring and ST bezel ring all clicked together flawlessly!

Should have taken pictures...

waiting on another Gen crystal and Gen gasket to arrive will post update when it arrives.

oh, and the Gen insert should (my guesses) snap into the ST bezel assembly with out any issues. This I will update as well when I get ahold of one.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Ok I see now you’re using a 2824. That’s about the same stem height as a 3135. Eta2836 is closer to the 3035 stem position. I’d love to see a pic into the tube hole to see how it all lines up during assembly. Of course you can fine tune it with diff dial spacers, but not much. I’m excited to see this come together. There’s a guy on VRF selling Gen 93150 clasps for $250-300. Not a bad deal.

Yes, the eta 2824 is the one I'm going with for now, maybe down the road I'll get the SH in there.

From my research the eta 2824 has plenty of room for stem clearance. Even recommended building up (out towards case back) to line up with stem there is that much room. (Build out space between DWO possibly using dial dots for DWO (like TC did) and also building out dial spacer (where dial meets movement holder) TC uses a small thin phome/paper spacer between dial and movement holder where the dial rests on. In my planes to do the same.

I'm not familiar with VRF that is a good price!

SubdayExpress

Village Idiot
30/12/15

The current ST cases that are available will not accept a 3035, only a 3135. Their older cases (with better CGs) were specifically made for a 3035 but are pretty hard to find.

Unfortunately, the ST insert does not fit a gen bezel ring as it is too small. Also, a gen insert won’t fit an ST bezel as it is too large - sanding of the outside diameter of the insert is required, but not recommended.

Here are some pics of an ST 16610 case (with a hybrid Yuki 3135 in it), a TC LV v7x, a gen 16800, and a Phong 5513 where you can see the rehaut heights. You are correct that the gen 16800 rehaut is more shallow which is a result of the thicker date mechanism on the 3035. The thinner mechanism on the 3135 leads to the thicker rehaut.

05a4090a1360407725741849bed6d1ef.jpg
9a062f1c10f0c3dde752bcfc3d4db238.jpg
7733b01b5ce14f114923cc7661f27c56.jpg

Reactions: Perpetual

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16

Oh sorry forgot to answer your last question, The rehaut depth on my case the 3135 ST (only one they offer at the moment) is on par with Gen and TC 16610