• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New SUB VRF

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
Thanks for the sympathy - I knew it could be a problematic movement, but I never expected both of them to go bad SO quickly!

My VRF MAX is coming back to me this week from the watchsmith - it was running fine, but I got a Sellita put in it while it was being cleaned and oiled. If nothing else, THAT one should last me a while!!
Out of Interest and very curious, how many subs / hulks do you have. My guess was 4

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mikeanh77

13/11/18
Asia
Thanks for the sympathy - I knew it could be a problematic movement, but I never expected both of them to go bad SO quickly!

My VRF MAX is coming back to me this week from the watchsmith - it was running fine, but I got a Sellita put in it while it was being cleaned and oiled. If nothing else, THAT one should last me a while!!

me too, all a2824 and 2836 for me

Sent from the RWI App

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Out of Interest and very curious, how many subs / hulks do you have. My guess was 4

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nope- up to 7! I am into these like other women are into bags! Here's the tally to date:

The Hulks:

1) 116610 LV VRF MAX 2836 - getting it back any day, now made waterproof, with a gen crystal and a Sellita movement installed. Thinking of having JonJ fix the CGs for me in the future. I did the Sellita because I LOVE the fit and look of the VRF MAX vs. the ARF version, love the BP dial, and I want a super dependable watch that will keep going for a long time and not give me a headache. This was all decided of course before I sprang for the Hulk with the gen 3135 movement - so now hopefully will have TWO dependable Hulks!

2) 116610 LV ARF 2824 - no mods, runs like a true champ, LOVE the bracelet - wear it now when I want to wear a Hulk, but the watch just feels too big for me.

3) 116610 LV VRF 3135 - already approved QC, should be arriving in the next week or so, barring customs issues! High hopes for this one! IF it's a champ, will put the bracelet from the ARF on it and maybe swap out for a gen crystal - and gen DW and hands but only if really needed - if they look really close to gen, won't bother. This will hopefully be my third dependable Hulk.

4) 116610 LV with GEN 3135 movement and some other gen mods. Waiting for it to arrive from Europe. This one cost the most, and the 3135 movement damn well better NOT crap out.

The LNs:

1) 116610 LN V6S 3135 - it's at the watchmaker's now. Absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the look and fit of this - but the SA3135 movement crapped out on me, still waiting for the autopsy results. Will get it running one way or another, and have the current Clark's crystal changed to a gen. It deserves that.

2) 16610 LN modded JF which I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the look and fit of. It has MANY gen parts but (unfortunately) an SA3135 movement which ALSO crapped out on me after a few weeks of wearing. Will be going off to the same watchmaker soon, autopsy results pending. Arggh!!

The Fantasy TC

1) TC Rogue - LOVE LOVE LOVE this too. Fantasy watch, but so gorgeous-looking with the red and black. Still have to take some links out to get it to fit. The case and bracelet have scratches, so I'm going to have JonJ clean it up for me. He's out here in SF now I am plan to meet him later today and hand off the watch!

That's it. I feel pretty well set now, don't plan on more. Right now I am concentrating on getting them ALL to run reliably, and then having JonJ improve the lugs and CGs (and maybe bezel scallops, don't know about that) to make them look (and more importantly, fit) like a gen.

Frankly I was surprised at how much I loved the 5 digit LN - I actually really like the smaller look and fit, feels great to wear. Feels very close to the V6S. Although I have never had a gen on my wrist, I imagine these are the closest to what those feel like....

Last edited:

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Honestly, if I add up what the 7 have cost me just at this point, I probably could have gotten a gen 5 digit LN. But then I'd have ONE watch and no Hulk and not be on this forum. SO where's the fun in that? ;)

Reactions: KJ2020

Wildcatfan

13/2/18
My wife asked me why don't you just get another gen one with all the money you spend on these. Thats's the reason though. They're basically the same and you can have one of all different kinds.

timto1388

16/10/16
United Kingdom
Looking at the date wheels. The 4's and a few other numbers are off a little but compared to the SH/Yuki/ARF/SA date wheels, it is a major improvement. In fact I wouldn't even change it. There are 3 different fonts for a 3135 from DJ to Sub. They all look amazing and the rep for the VRF if that is what it looks like could easily be said to be a variant of it. It is about time that a 3135 came out with a better balance shock and working date changing. I am going to try to get in touch with the factory and order 10 of these movement if they are as good as they seem to be. I am going to convert some to 3186 and 3175 and 3130's. Finish the collection I want!!! Now if we can get someone to make a 3186 case! I want a batman and a Rootbeer!!!!

Ask Tickleshoes to help with GMT case he is good , very good

Number 8 3 18 15 13 is not that great , datewheel actual abit thicker than gen but overall it’s much better than all other factories ( apart from recent release from Noob)
I tried to fit it in my SH it’s stuck and not moving lol
But anyway it’s good as is it for someone who not convenient at modding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vcappp

timto1388

16/10/16
United Kingdom
Just pulled the trigger and ordered the VR3135 LN. We shall see how it goes. Hopefully I'll be able to share some QC pics and compare it with my Noob V7 w Prof crystal when it arrives!

Get prof crystal with out LEc , new batch really good shape of cyclop very close to gen shape
LN dial very close to Gen
9a8da06bd0349aa7cede8f60386eb18d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rolemars and vcappp

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
My wife asked me why don't you just get another gen one with all the money you spend on these. Thats's the reason though. They're basically the same and you can have one of all different kinds.

Exaaaactly! And 99.9% of people that see you wearing it are none the wiser!

lamkinpark

Known Member
12/10/18
Same goes for me here, recently just asked myself why don't just get a Gen 116610LN. It is pure fun in the process of doing modifications, sourcing gen part, etc. I just ordered the VRF 116610LN 3135. Now waiting for my QC pics n will post it once I approved it.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
DO NOT GET THE VRF 116610LV 3135!

I just got it today. Broke it down. Pics to follow.

I will explain real quick. Date doesn't flip completely. It flips half way and then when the stud goes past the teeth it flips completely which is around 3 am. The movement is dirty and in massive need of oiling.

The movement does have a few upgrades. The date plate is thicker so a real date wheel fits. The rep date wheel is passable. The reversing wheels are exactly like real ones but they fail to put the jewel for the main reversing bridge pinion. Date change mech. looks correct but doesnt work. I am going to order the real parts and see if that solves it. The balance shock is identical to a rolex which is cool. Balance spring is painted blue to look like parachrom. So there are improvements but not worth it right now.

Here is more bad news. The SEL SUCKS. I tried a noob band and an ARF band and they do not fit. I can trim them to make them fit but why? I am going to play around with spring bars later to see if I can make this work.

I do like the case. It is nice. 3135 fits perfect.

smoke I did press in a noob crystal ring with a real crystal and put the noob LN bezel and it worked fine.

The LV colors are completely off. DO NOT ORDER IT. You will feel like a fool if you are next to someone with the real one. I will post pics.

The cool thing is the click springs. They went to Rolex style. LOL. The balls are soldered to the spring except the locking click..

Let see what else......

The crystal was ok. The Bezel color is not good. The dial is way to sunburst and the wrong color green most of the time.

Oh one other thing. The crown has the hex so it looks like it is a rolex crown when there is no way. So now fake 704's are going to be extremely hard to tell as a fake!

So the good....
Better reversing wheels
Better date plate
Better balance shock
Better finish on movement.
Better datewheel
Better crown.
Nice click springs.
OK crystal.

The bad.....
Case doesnt take real or other bracelets. I am sure sending it to Jon or a case guy will fix this.
Color of dial is way off and doesn't reflect as a Rolex dial does.
Color of bezel and platinum is not correct.

The big reason I am saying not to get this is just the fact that I got the LV and compared it to my real LV. Also the date flipping, which should had been fixed with the upgrade fails worst than the SH which at least worked but one has to wait till 3-4 to manually quickset. While on this one you can quickset anytime but the mech isn't strong enough to flip the sate more than about 1/3 of the number.

Also the Amp was very low. About 240ish. It could be due to being dirty and improperly lubricated. Pics to follow.

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
WOW! Not what I was hoping for :eek:.... thanks for the post! Mine is on its way to me, most likely will be no better but fingers crossed - maybe I'll be lucky - or not!!!!

What a disappointment though... So let me ask this - I have 2 watches with SA3135 movements, one which has royally crapped out on me and was just sent to Mikemisiekped . I am waiting for the autopsy results on that one... assuming that the SA3135 is not salvageable, and since I have already bought this watch, do you think that the VR3135 movement is decent enough to send to Mike and have him use it instead? He'll have to service it of course...

Last edited:

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
How does the insert compare to the VRF MAX? I had figured that they would use the same insert, and the VRF LV is quite decent.... Also, is it not a BP dial?
Thanks for taking the time and $ to do this review!!

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Left is real right is VRF. Lighting is identical on both. The Lum is even off. Lot whiter on the VRF.
jGRW3.md.jpg
\

Real
jGCo8.md.jpg

ARF

jG07b.md.jpg

jGgRa.md.jpg
\
jGOn0.md.jpg

jGtrF.md.jpg

jGBdo.md.jpg

jPydA.md.jpg

jPJ0Q.md.jpg
\\
jPC5f.md.jpg

VRF date plate. It is deeper and a bit larger.
jPkjs.md.jpg

SH3135's

jP20h.md.jpg

Here is the automatic winding bridge and oscillating weight. Look at the main pinion. It is completely missing the jewel. But pay attention to the reversing wheels. Those looks amazing. Dirty but exactly like Rolex.

jPoQF.md.jpg
\\

SH's version.
jP8b8.md.jpg

Right is real and left is VRF. Believe It or not the color difference is just dirt. It is really dirty making the metal look brown but it is stainless.

joVGp.md.jpg

Rolex
jP58y.md.jpg

VRF

joKTh.md.jpg

Crown!

jo0U2.md.jpg

Clicks. Now the springs are cheaper than Rolexes version but they copied them making them one piece except the locking click. Never the less great effort.

josye.md.jpg

Pressed real crystal with noob retaining ring.

johks.md.jpg

Noob LN bezel installed and crystal hight is good.

joHgD.md.jpg

joX1U.md.jpg

Tried Noob and ARF 97200 and they did not fit. They are off by a very small size. Here is the ARF 116610LN 3135 904 bracelet that I have.

jwpsR.md.jpg

Here is the VRF one.

jwVmK.md.jpg

Lastly. Here is the inside of the case with the movement in it and the movement notch which I love. If I plan on keeping this as a keeper for my LN case it is going out for case work.

jG5zI.md.jpg

Hope this helps people. Any questions feel free to PM me or ask here. Lets keep this thread alive and hope we can get this factory to work on a few things.

Rob

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
WOW! Not what I was hoping for :eek:.... thanks for the post! Mine is on its way to me, most likely will be no better but fingers crossed - maybe I'll be lucky - or not!!!!

What a disappointment though... So let me ask this - I have 2 watches with SA3135 movements, one which has royally crapped out on me and was just sent to Mikemisiekped . I am waiting for the autopsy results on that one... assuming that the SA3135 is not salvageable, and since I have already bought this watch, do you think that the VR3135 movement is decent enough to send to Mike and have him use it instead? He'll have to service it of course...

Yes. The movement has amazing potential. If your date flip works. LOL. I am going to put the real parts on and see if it works. If it does that saves a lot of $.

I always recommend when I do a SH3135 to change the date plate, intermetate date wheel, the date star wheel. Also everyone knows about the noisy SH3135 reversing wheels. So I recommend replacing them. Rolex ones work better. Now with just those upgrades one saves over $500-600 in upgrades of the SH3135. Lastly, if your SH3135 balance shock is shot, no one can replace it. You would need a new movement. Now, if this is like the SA4130 which I believe it is, you can replace it with a real rolex. All this is good. Great in fact. Well not for Rolex. But this movement is getting better we just need them to work on the kinks.

If I could order 5 of these movements right now, I would. I need to find out a way to get in touch with the maker. They are on to something good. Just need to work on it.

Also, yes Mike can make this movement run great I am sure. I haven't even serviced it yet. I just got it in today and took it apart.

I have to stop doing these reviews. LOL. I have way to many parts and movements and bracelets and cases and bezels. I am going to start to put them up for sale. LOL.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
One step forward .... two step back!
I was so excited when this movement come out. :facepalm:

Thanks for taking the time and money to give us this review, occb2

You are welcome. I love doing this. This is why we are all here. To learn and see what is going on with the new stuff.

Also it is not really a step back. It is forwards but not as great as it could be. That date flipping thing sucks. It is the proper design but not strong enough. I have to take the whole thing apart and clean it and properly oil it and see if that fixes it. I doubt it. It will probably need those parts replaced.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
How does the insert compare to the VRF MAX? I had figured that they would use the same insert, and the VRF LV is quite decent.... Also, is it not a BP dial?
Thanks for taking the time and $ to do this review!!

I can't tell you. I had stopped buying LV reps due to the fact that they ALL fail. BP dial, while nice, still fails.

If you know no one with a Hulk. Or you don't care, this is a great looking watch.

My favorite combo is hands down the early Noob V6S insert with a platinum upgrade and a BP dial. That rules. But even then, put it next to a real one it is done. Now get a real bezel and dial and you can pass off any LV rep. LOL.

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Honestly Rob, even looking at the photos next to a gen, I don't think it's that bad... Yes, the insert could be shinier, no question - it's dull compared to the gen - but I don't think the color is that off - I've seen darker inserts for sure. Side by side to a gen, I don't think there is any insert (or dial, for that matter) that really passes the test. That's what is SO hard with the Hulks. But that's looking at them side by side, which in real life, ain't gonna happen... I also don't think the dial is that bad, either. I'm curious if it's a BP dial; if it is, it's with the "updated" font - and not the same exact dial on my VRF MAX, which has the older font style. I'll be curious to compare them side by side. The CGs on the VRF look pretty close to gen.

And, if the movement could be shored up with some gen parts, and maybe a good cleaning, I don't think the watch is a write-off. We have to remember that we are talking a price difference of $500 vs. $12,000 - so I view this as a promising future for the rep world (and a little thorn in the side for Rolex). I mean, even if you have to spend some extra $ - let's say an extra 1 - 2K - to improve the movement, put in a gen crystal, have the lugs improved and the SEL fitted for an ARF bracelet, it's still only a fraction of cost compared to a gen. And unless someone else is the lucky owner of a gen, the vast majority of folks won't know the difference.

It could have been worse - at least there's no pubes in the movement - LOL!!!

Reactions: JDM180

Wildcatfan

13/2/18
DO NOT GET THE VRF 116610LV 3135!

I just got it today. Broke it down. Pics to follow.

I will explain real quick. Date doesn't flip completely. It flips half way and then when the stud goes past the teeth it flips completely which is around 3 am. The movement is dirty and in massive need of oiling.

The movement does have a few upgrades. The date plate is thicker so a real date wheel fits. The rep date wheel is passable. The reversing wheels are exactly like real ones but they fail to put the jewel for the main reversing bridge pinion. Date change mech. looks correct but doesnt work. I am going to order the real parts and see if that solves it. The balance shock is identical to a rolex which is cool. Balance spring is painted blue to look like parachrom. So there are improvements but not worth it right now.

Here is more bad news. The SEL SUCKS. I tried a noob band and an ARF band and they do not fit. I can trim them to make them fit but why? I am going to play around with spring bars later to see if I can make this work.

I do like the case. It is nice. 3135 fits perfect.

smoke I did press in a noob crystal ring with a real crystal and put the noob LN bezel and it worked fine.

The LV colors are completely off. DO NOT ORDER IT. You will feel like a fool if you are next to someone with the real one. I will post pics.

The cool thing is the click springs. They went to Rolex style. LOL. The balls are soldered to the spring except the locking click..

Let see what else......

The crystal was ok. The Bezel color is not good. The dial is way to sunburst and the wrong color green most of the time.

Oh one other thing. The crown has the hex so it looks like it is a rolex crown when there is no way. So now fake 704's are going to be extremely hard to tell as a fake!

So the good....
Better reversing wheels
Better date plate
Better balance shock
Better finish on movement.
Better datewheel
Better crown.
Nice click springs.
OK crystal.

The bad.....
Case doesnt take real or other bracelets. I am sure sending it to Jon or a case guy will fix this.
Color of dial is way off and doesn't reflect as a Rolex dial does.
Color of bezel and platinum is not correct.

The big reason I am saying not to get this is just the fact that I got the LV and compared it to my real LV. Also the date flipping, which should had been fixed with the upgrade fails worst than the SH which at least worked but one has to wait till 3-4 to manually quickset. While on this one you can quickset anytime but the mech isn't strong enough to flip the sate more than about 1/3 of the number.

Also the Amp was very low. About 240ish. It could be due to being dirty and improperly lubricated. Pics to follow.

That blows! I just emailed yesterday to check if it was in stock.

Reactions: Midnightx

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Honestly Rob, even looking at the photos next to a gen, I don't think it's that bad... Yes, the insert could be shinier, no question - it's dull compared to the gen - but I don't think the color is that off - I've seen darker inserts for sure. Side by side to a gen, I don't think there is any insert (or dial, for that matter) that really passes the test. That's what is SO hard with the Hulks. But that's looking at them side by side, which in real life, ain't gonna happen... I also don't think the dial is that bad, either. I'm curious if it's a BP dial; if it is, it's with the "updated" font - and not the same exact dial on my VRF MAX, which has the older font style. I'll be curious to compare them side by side. The CGs on the VRF look pretty close to gen.

And, if the movement could be shored up with some gen parts, and maybe a good cleaning, I don't think the watch is a write-off. We have to remember that we are talking a price difference of $500 vs. $12,000 - so I view this as a promising future for the rep world (and a little thorn in the side for Rolex). I mean, even if you have to spend some extra $ - let's say an extra 1 - 2K - to improve the movement, put in a gen crystal, have the lugs improved and the SEL fitted for an ARF bracelet, it's still only a fraction of cost compared to a gen. And unless someone else is the lucky owner of a gen, the vast majority of folks won't know the difference.

It could have been worse - at least there's no pubes in the movement - LOL!!!

LOL. No pubes!!!! ROTF!!!!!

I am not saying that it isn't an improvement. I am saying not to buy it due to the issues right now with the movement. I just sent the TD a message explaining what is wrong with the movement. I don't see this being an isolated incident. The part isn't strong enough to flip the date.

There are a lot of steps forward in this watch. I also stated that if you or anyone else don't know anyone with this watch, yea 95% of people wouldn't know if it is real or not. The same would go with an ARF 116610LV 2824/3135 that looks great too. Or the noob V9 116610LV that is also a nice watch. The point I am making is that it fails in color. The bezel is massively noticeable when next to a real one. The dial also. But if nothing to compare it too, no one will know. Nor will they know on a ARF or Noob. Me personally I was hoping the movement was going to be a turn key movement. That the improvements were going to be fine and that it would just work. But it is dirty and in bad shape. Look at the Amp out of the box. I will deal with this movement in a few weeks. I have a watch to finish and a few college visits then a trip. Never the less. I had high hopes for this movement.

If I did not have an LV. From the ones I saw so far, I would build one. I would jump one the ARF 2824 version with the early BP dial. Real hands, ARF date wheel, real crystal, real insert or the early light V6S ones. Use the newer ARF 97200 band. That would be an epic build.

Don't forget with this watch you are getting a lot of good stuff.

The crystal is passable, As is the date wheel. Right there saves you $400 dollars. The crown is amazing saving you $100, the movement (If working) saves you on reversing wheels and calendar system.

One thing I wish rep companies would do is work on getting Chromolight. The Super Lum that they are using doesn't A) last as long B)Is way too white. The Chromo light has a little bit of patina or off white color. They got the font down.

Let me know how you like yours and if you date wheel changes at midnight. The quick set works perfectly at any time which means they fixed the one issue but created another. I have a real 3135 sitting in my shop. If I have time tomorrow I will swap out parts number 3135 -623 and 625. I want to see if that solves it. I have to finish a watch for a buddy before I go on vacation.