• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[VIDEO] For y'all vintage Daytona lovers!

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Thanks. Wow. The true 4 digit Daytona history and how the 16520 with iconic El Premero movement started it all.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
“Wow. This is nice watch so I bought it and I keep it.” Ron K has stupid money. Check out his diamond studs.

Reactions: johnlogan

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Ronald is a well know figure in Bangkok (hi-so) Nightlife scene. Probably in his hometown if SGN too. His money is inheriting wealth and he works as a day trader or a stock broker of some kind.
https://www.youtube.com/user/stockmarketmindgames
There are some crazy collectors in BKK, but one thing puzzles me. He obtains all his watches from Italy. A region well known for their vintage replica builds. I wonder how many of these high ends watches are just that.

Stradivarius

Known Member
12/11/17
Ronald is a well know figure in Bangkok (hi-so) Nightlife scene. Probably in his hometown if SGN too. His money is inheriting wealth and he works as a day trader or a stock broker of some kind.
https://www.youtube.com/user/stockmarketmindgames
There are some crazy collectors in BKK, but one thing puzzles me. He obtains all his watches from Italy. A region well known for their vintage replica builds. I wonder how many of these high ends watches are just that.

Do you have any contact/ information from these builder/dealer?

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
LOL the replicas with seven figure price tags. I miss DW days so much...

Im not a vintage expert but paying that much for " prototypes " and "once off " watches , without a paper trail , out of Italy people have too much cash on their hands.

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
Im not a vintage expert but paying that much for " prototypes " and "once off " watches , without a paper trail , out of Italy people have too much cash on their hands.

It's been going on for over a decade all over the vintage watches market. There were at least dozen of Rolexes and Panerai models pulled off the Christie's in recent years that have been proven being counterfeit. I know for a fact that this was just the tip of the iceberg. This is the lucrative business that feeds the demand of the unaware buyers with the money to blow.
Just remember latest Rinaldi's 3646 scam on Chrono24. If they are fakes, well it's his problem when rolling out big money to buy watches from "Italians". They look good nevertheless.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
It's been going on for over a decade all over the vintage watches market. There were at least dozen of Rolexes and Panerai models pulled off the Christie's in recent years that have been proven being counterfeit. I know for a fact that this was just the tip of the iceberg. This is the lucrative business that feeds the demand of the unaware buyers with the money to blow.
Just remember latest Rinaldi's 3646 scam on Chrono24. If they are fakes, well it's his problem when rolling out big money to buy watches from "Italians". They look good nevertheless.

I have no doubt that this SGN / BKK playboy is sporting Italian replicas or builds that has a value of 1 / 6 of what he paid. Almost as this was his shopping list : https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/christies-rolex-themed-auction-may-2017

Reactions: rolexwatchfan

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13

Great read. But in contrary to the statement that vintage parts are readily available and inexpensive - they're scarce and uberexpensive! As far as watches that are "sent" to auction houses for appraisal - they are mostly small caliber counterfeits. Keep in mind that most of the auction houses will not question watches that are coming from reputable collector or source selling top tier specimens build by the masters in the rep industry.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Great read. But in contrary to the statement that vintage parts are readily available and inexpensive - they're scarce and uberexpensive! As far as watches that are "sent" to auction houses for appraisal - they are mostly small caliber counterfeits. Keep in mind that most of the auction houses will not question watches that are coming from reputable collector or source selling top tier specimens build by the masters in the rep industry.

Great insight. Imagine how many expensive builds are being peddled as GENs in this circuit. Same with high end wines... HNY