• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex GMT-MASTER II "Pepsi"

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Big question : how much did you pay $

Latarian

Horology Curious
28/12/18

Before I disclose how much I paid or where I got it from... would you mind giving your honest opinion of the piece? I feel revealing that information up front sways opinions or sets a precedent. If it's a terrible replication I'd like to know what makes it bad. Hope you understand. Thanks!!

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Before I disclose how much I paid or where I got it from... would you mind giving your honest opinion of the piece? I feel revealing that information up front sways opinions or sets a precedent. If it's a terrible replication I'd like to know what makes it bad. Hope you understand. Thanks!!

Personally, since you ask, I would consider using it as a paper weight.

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
However much you paid had a 100% sucker tax.

No offense dude, I assume you're new. Lets just say if the statement "sometimes you have to suck at something before you can be good at something" applied to Pepsi reps...this would be the "sucking" part.

But you're in luck bc there isnt really a solid ceramic Pepsi rep out there right now, so you didnt miss out. If you're looking for the best GMT rep out there go for the Noob 116710LN v8.

Latarian

Horology Curious
28/12/18

Is it because of personal taste (e.g. you don't like the "Pepsi" bezel) or are there certain aspects of the watch that are completely off?

Latarian

Horology Curious
28/12/18

No offense dude, I assume you're new. Lets just say if the statement "sometimes you have to suck at something before you can be good at something" applied to Pepsi reps...this would be the "sucking" part.

But you're in luck bc there isnt really a solid ceramic Pepsi rep out there right now, so you didnt miss out. If you're looking for the best GMT rep out there go for the Noob 116710LN v8.

No offense taken, I am new.. but again, what is wrong with it? None of the reasons I've received provide any substance...

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15

If this is OPs first rep a replica solid white gold watch is not the way to go! Explorer 1 is a great starter watch... you are however right on all accounts!

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18
No offense taken, I am new.. but again, what is wrong with it? None of the reasons I've received provide any substance...

A few things that stand out to me:

Hour circles are too close to dial markers
6 marker looks a bit crooked and is too close to swiss made
Pepsi bezel is the wrong material (should be ceramic)
Lume is sloppy on the 6 and 9 markers and doesnt match the hand lume
Dial printing and date font look off
Hand stack is wrong (this is common on most reps if you want a reliable movement)
Probably has a low beat movement (2813)
Bracelet should be jubilee not oyster
no AR on the cyclops (common with most reps)

How much did you pay?

Reactions: Latarian

Latarian

Horology Curious
28/12/18
A few things that stand out to me:

Hour circles are too close to dial markers
6 marker looks a bit crooked and is too close to swiss made
Pepsi bezel is the wrong material (should be ceramic)
Lume is sloppy on the 6 and 9 markers and doesnt match the hand lume
Dial printing and date font look off
Hand stack is wrong (this is common on most reps if you want a reliable movement)
Probably has a low beat movement (2813)
Bracelet should be jubilee not oyster
no AR on the cyclops (common with most reps)

How much did you pay?

That's more like it! I paid $100 for it in Chinatown NYC. So it seems the bezel is biggest telltale sign here as it should be made out of ceramic. I do feel the red is a little bit too purple. Thanks for the breakdown.

Reactions: johngfahy

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
This is a great first lesson on what not to buy. You’d do well to stick to the trusted dealers list, and go through the various posts here on the forums. You’ll make a much better second purchase I’m sure. As for that watch.... I’d just pretend like it never happened.

Reactions: johnlogan

Latarian

Horology Curious
28/12/18
This is a great first lesson on what not to buy. You’d do well to stick to the trusted dealers list, and go through the various posts here on the forums. You’ll make a much better second purchase I’m sure. As for that watch.... I’d just pretend like it never happened.

Not really... seems most comments on this forum trash reps without any basis. I bet gens get shit on if someone tried to pass it off a fake. The flaws pointed out in this thread are minimal and or not entirely true. I've seen this watch in both an oyster and jubilee bracelet, hand stack, sloppy lume, AR on cyclops... all have to observed up close. I was actually expecting a lot worse from this forum.. but as I mentioned before most feedback has no substance. The bezel is probably the most obvious, but anyone outside of this forum would never know. For a $100 for an automatic watch that resembles a Rolli.. I'm happy with it.

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
Not really... seems most comments on this forum trash reps without any basis.

Only to the uninitiated ...

but as I mentioned before most feedback has no substance. The bezel is probably the most obvious, but anyone outside of this forum would never know.

Then why did you post it up on the forum where we would know? Sorry to say, but not all feedback requires substance that a new guy would understand...I can look at johnlogan s comments and agree 100% without any further explanation? You can do a quick search of "pepsi" in the rollie subforum and get a ton of info from other members that have bought the best pepsi reps currently out there including all the flaws, etc.

I'm not knocking ya for asking questions, but I'm challenging your assertion that most feedback has no substance. I would argue the truth of the matter is that the substantive feedback already existed here before you asked the question...

Last edited:
Reactions: KushBandit

Latarian

Horology Curious
28/12/18
I can look at johnlogan s comments and agree 100% without any further explanation?
I'm not knocking ya for asking questions, but I'm challenging your assertion that most feedback has no substance. I would argue the truth of the matter is that the substantive feedback already existed here before you asked the question...

Sorry, but which one of John's comments provide any "substantive feedback" or merit like you mentioned? I'm not looking to argue, but I did take your advice, did a quick search of the "pepsi" and.. Lo and behold johnlogan spent $430 on the same replica. Granted his rep does look nicer with proper lighting and a jubilee bracelet, but the other than that the differences are marginal. Maybe I just need to snap another photo in the sunlight holding a cigar and maybe people will kiss my ass too.

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
Sorry, but which one of John's comments provide any "substantive feedback" or merit like you mentioned? I'm not looking to argue, but I did take your advice, did a quick search of the "pepsi" and.. Lo and behold johnlogan spent $430 on the same replica. Granted his rep does look nicer with proper lighting and a jubilee bracelet, but the other than that the differences are marginal. Maybe I just need to snap another photo in the sunlight holding a cigar and maybe people will kiss my ass too.

I understand what youre saying, but without knowing where you got your rep or how much you paid (from earlier in this thread, which we wanted too know to determine what factory it might have come from) then we dont know if its the same rep...we know its repping the same genuine watch, but it may not be the same rep factory.

I hate to break it to you, this isnt a kissing ass forum...its more a busting balls forum. I read the other thread a while back and recall all of the issues that were observed...and thats also why I understand what johnlogan is talking about with his albeit critical and short response.

My point is this...this forum LOVES to critique every micrometer of a rep...and some of the more seasoned members are VERY good at it. But they also like to focus a lot of their time on the higher quality reps (this is my opinion only). The rep you posted up is not a high quality rep (regardless of what you paid) because the flaws are obvious enough that a lot of us that have been here for any reasonable amount of time can pick out, e.g. bezel insert material, insert numerals, dial, hands, SELs, etc. and arent really worth going over as closely as, say a noob v8 sub or gmt or an explorer or an arf daytona.

If you're really interested in learning about this hobby then you'll find yourself sticking around and learning a ton by reading (and not just about the pepsi, youll get addicted to all of it). If its not for you, no harm no foul, but Id rather spend my time nitpicking flaws over 1st class reps than the others.

Reactions: KushBandit

Latarian

Horology Curious
28/12/18
Still curious as to how much you paid for this

$100 in Chinatown NYC. I'd imagine most people on this forum aren't posting reps from street vendors so I don't know if figuring out what "factory" it came from even comes into play. I read these street vendors buy in bulk from alibaba or dhgate.