• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Daytona ice blue difference

Peace55

Looking Around
7/5/18
Hi!
It's time to buy my second watch and the Daytone Ice blue is really eye loving!
So can you guys help me to tell me the difference between The ARF factory and NOOB factory.
modell im thinking to buy is.

Daytona 116506 ARF 1:1 Best Edition 904L SS Case and Bracelet Ice Blue Dial Lume Markers A4130 Super Clone V2

or

Daytona 116506 SS Case Brown Ceramic Bezel Noob 1:1 Best Edition Ice Blue Dial On SS Bracelet SA4130

Dan8888

Known Member
13/2/16
The ARF movement has fake 3 and 9 o'clock subdials, whereas the Noob sports a fully functional chrono movement.

Other than movements, both have their pros and cons

chrisscarr

Known Member
18/11/18
If you are looking for similar than gen choose Arf, but frozen at 3 and 9. If you want funcionally chrono, choose Noob.

DJTonesNY

Horology Curious
21/12/18
Doesn't the Noob have a ceramic bezel? I would go with the Noob just for this aspect

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
All have ceramic bezel, that's irrelevant. The noob has a terrible dial, avoid it like the plague. The ARF dial is correct, but there is no Chrono obviously. Not like that matters, but it's still nice knowing it's available for use of needed. The insert engraving is, as for every single ceramic Rollie insert, trash: too dark. At best put the ARF dial into the noob, and maybe the bp ceramic bezel as it wasn't that bad. Also the PCL are trash. They all have a bad uneven and/or streaky swirl underneath the polish. It's as though the links were first brushed then the PCL polished.

Overall these Daytona reps are not remotely worth the cost.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have seen two different text layouts on the gen Ice Blue. Look at what letter in Oyster is below the 'R' in Rolex to readily see the difference. I did more than a cursory search for dial history to try to find out which dial was used when, etc. but came up empty. If anyone has a link with more specific info, I'm sure many of us would be interested.

The new ARF and NOOB dials both use the more condensed 'Oyster Perpetual' text, with the 'S' in Oyster below the 'R' in Rolex. This is unlike the current gen dial, which has the 'T' in Oyster below the 'R' in Rolex. The only significant differences between the two dials that I see are the individual sunbursts in the ARF subdials and slightly different shades of color.

IMO, these differences are not enough to warrant going to all the trouble and expense of putting an ARF ice blue dial in a Noob watch. I also believe the Noob watch is the one to buy. "The movement alone is worth the price", as others have said. There are plenty of dial and bezel swaps that can be done down the line when one gets tired of a slightly inaccurate ice blue dial.

Ironically, the Old Noob 7750 dial has both the current gen-like text, AND the individual sunbursts in the subdials. Most of the Old Noob dials are much more accurate and attractive than their 4130 counterparts. Go figure. I don't know of anyone who has tried to fit an Old Noob dial into a 4130 movement. Maybe I will, if I can pick up a used one.

Some pics

FBcpR.jpg

FBn7g.jpg

FBQwZ.jpg

FBeRa.jpg
​​​​​​

Reactions: leo6929 and elchino

calvin951121

Known Member
19/7/15
I have seen two different text layouts on the gen Ice Blue. Look at what letter in Oyster is below the 'R' in Rolex to readily see the difference. I did more than a cursory search for dial history to try to find out which dial was used when, etc. but came up empty. If anyone has a link with more specific info, I'm sure many of us would be interested.

The new ARF and NOOB dials both use the more condensed 'Oyster Perpetual' text, with the 'S' in Oyster below the 'R' in Rolex. This is unlike the current gen dial, which has the 'T' in Oyster below the 'R' in Rolex. The only significant differences between the two dials that I see are the individual sunbursts in the ARF subdials and slightly different shades of color.

IMO, these differences are not enough to warrant going to all the trouble and expense of putting an ARF ice blue dial in a Noob watch. I also believe the Noob watch is the one to buy. "The movement alone is worth the price", as others have said. There are plenty of dial and bezel swaps that can be done down the line when one gets tired of a slightly inaccurate ice blue dial.

Ironically, the Old Noob 7750 dial has both the current gen-like text, AND the individual sunbursts in the subdials. Most of the Old Noob dials are much more accurate and attractive than their 4130 counterparts. Go figure. I don't know of anyone who has tried to fit an Old Noob dial into a 4130 movement. Maybe I will, if I can pick up a used one.

Some pics

FBcpR.jpg

FBn7g.jpg

FBQwZ.jpg

FBeRa.jpg
​​​​​​

ARF dial fit 4130, but not sure Jf 7750 dial fit 4130

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ARF dial fit 4130, but not sure Jf 7750 dial fit 4130

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would really like to know the answer to the JF question, there are several JF dial and bezel combos that would look awesome. The JF simulated WG bezel (SS) has a common flaw of the 200 marker triangle centered and not offset to the right, but I can easily overlook that. I would love to make this combo.

SWWDR.jpg

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
My assumption is that dials made for 7750 are not made to fit perfectly in the 4130 movement without mods, but that Gen. dials are.

Which would also mean that old noob dials wont fit perfectly into 4130 noob models.

So having all those sexy economical combinations of different rep dials and bezels match with the noob4130 model is impossible unless you are willing to mod it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
My assumption is that dials made for 7750 are not made to fit perfectly in the 4130 movement without mods, but that Gen. dials are.

Which would also mean that old noob dials wont fit perfectly into 4130 noob models.

So having all those sexy economical combinations of different rep dials and bezels match with the noob4130 model is impossible unless you are willing to mod it.

This is true, modding would be necessary to fit any of the 7750 dials onto the 4130. But this is what we do to achieve an improved rep. This particular mod has already been done quite a few times.

The latest ARF Daytonas use 7750 movements, decorated to look like 4130's. They have had some slimming done to fit them in a case closer to gen thickness. But on the dial side, the ARF Daytonas are pure 7750 (with non-functioning 3 and 9 o'clock subdials). The ARF dial feet have to be clipped and either new feet glued on at the 4130 positions or dial dots used. Additionally, the ARF dial diameter needs to be shaved from 29.6mm to 28.6mm.

Also, the BP 7750 dials will fit on a 4130, it's been done. These dials also need to be shaved. The center hole on these is slightly larger than the Noob or ARF dials, undesirably showing a tiny bit more of the canon pinion. Any other 7750 Daytona dials would need to be ruled in or out by actual trial fit.

The only real deal breakers in this pursuit would be if the donor dial is too small, or if the subdial pinion holes are not in the exact same places. The latter should not be the case from one 7750 to the next.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ding dong! DHL just dropped this off. Noob, happy with my choice. Quite beautiful and working chronos!

RobSe1 you were right bro, thanks!

Sc5ub.jpg

Reactions: leo6929 and RobSe1

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Ding dong! DHL just dropped this off. Noob, happy with my choice. Quite beautiful and working chronos!

Sc5ub.jpg

That is a beauty bro !!! :D glad you like it ;)
That piece is spot on!

Reactions: KJ2020

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18

Sc5ub.jpg

I'm going to pick up the noob as well.

BUT, I just read on a different website of a blogger who checks out and reviews the newest watches in Guangzhou mention that in December, they just came out with the 904L Steel version.

I am going to check with TD's but so far INTIME's Ryan hasn't gotten back to me regarding the new Noob 904L 116506's.

Anyone have any news?

DJTonesNY

Horology Curious
21/12/18

Sc5ub.jpg

Looks great. Wish the dial on my QC pic looked that good. Some letters were crooked and “cosmograph” was too bold

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go

BUT, I just read on a different website of a blogger who checks out and reviews the newest watches in Guangzhou mention that in December, they just came out with the 904L Steel version.

I am going to check with TD's but so far INTIME's Ryan hasn't gotten back to me regarding the new Noob 904L 116506's.

Anyone have any news?

Does 904L really matter for a Platinum watch? 904L is visually the same as 316L, so I don't see a reason to wait or pay a premium for 904L.

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
Since the 116506 was released back in March 2018, and there has not been any updates, I am crossing my fingers and hoping that Noob's next Daytona will be a 116506 with an updated dial, in 904L steel, and other improvements in line with their recent release of the 116519.

The 116506 is a nice attempt but the thin subdials and no sun burst is a deal-breaker for me. I hope they fix these issues like they have with their newer 116519.

Then again, I'm probably dreaming...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Anyone have any news?

Don't understand the hype of 904L. It just costs more and doesn't look or perform any better.