• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Pompompurin's] How to build a Rolex GMT MASTER II 16710 properly

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
I was very excited to see this post - until I I needed a gen polar gmt as a base...

Bob sad...:(

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
I was very excited to see this post - until I I needed a gen polar gmt as a base...

You don't want the polar, the black faced one is the one you want. They are still cheap compared to the 16710s floating around out there these days.

Reactions: kluzik1

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
That gen dial on the 16710 looks familiar!!!

Awesome build my friend!!! Stunning watch!!!!

Thanks to you! A gen 16710 dial was the final piece of the puzzle and I had a hard time finding one. They are quite rare now, ever since the 16710 prices skyrocketed

LOL

On the plus side, I read that ARF is making a 3187 movement? Maybe that could mean that a decent 16710 will be released release, eventually.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...s/7377399-any-word-on-arf-making-a-gmt-master

You don't want the polar, the black faced one is the one you want. They are still cheap compared to the 16710s floating around out there these days.

Yup, 16570 is still considered cheap when compared to that 16710. I still find that the 16710 is daylight robbery when the 16570 can be had for half price

Reactions: bowtiefanatc

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Damn great idea!! I will do this as well.
What about the lug engravings??? Aren’t they specific for 16570?

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Yea, but nobody's gonna take my bracelet off to look lol

And I still prefer the savings more than to buy a gen 16710

For sure. Was just curious if this might have similar engravings like some models sharing the same case back codes (eg 15200...)

ashu2289

I'm Pretty Popular
16/6/13
it doesn't bother me. The quality of the rep JF bezel assembly feels more or less as good as gen. However, some say the JF bezel doesn't have precise clicks like gen. In my opinion, gen bezels get worn and sometimes their clicks aren't precise anyways.

Hey mate, I had few questions if you can help:)
1. How did you remove the Explorer Bezel and does the crystal also comes off with bezel or you can just lift the explorer bezel and can fit the retainer ring without taking the crystal off?
Asking you this as getting crystal off and reseating without dust is super super tough for me:)

And if possible can you post some pictures of explorer bezel removed but crystal in place with the gasket outside?
Thanks in advance mate:)

ashu2289

I'm Pretty Popular
16/6/13
1. How did you remove the Explorer Bezel and does the crystal also comes off with bezel or you can just lift the explorer bezel and can fit the retainer ring without taking the crystal off?
Asking you this as getting crystal off and reseating without dust is super super tough for me:)

And if possible can you post some pictures of explorer bezel removed but crystal in place with the gasket outside?

any experts please chime in...thanks in advance:)

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong

The explorer 165710 bezel comes off like a datejust bezel: you just need a sharp, thin blade to pry around the bezel and it will come off.

The explorer 16570 bezel is pressed onto and around the crystal and its gasket.

I don't have any other pics. This is the closest pic. As mentioned above, the explorer 16570 bezel is pressed onto and around the crystal and its gasket.

20180810-021354.jpg

ashu2289

I'm Pretty Popular
16/6/13
The explorer 165710 bezel comes off like a datejust bezel: you just need a sharp, thin blade to pry around the bezel and it will come off.

The explorer 16570 bezel is pressed onto and around the crystal and its gasket.

Thanks mate for you reply. Just making it to be clear, when we remove the explorer bezel, the crystal comes out along with bezel or remains seated in the case? and then we can just press the retainer ring around the crystal without getting it removed from the case?? thanks again

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Thanks mate for you reply. Just making it to be clear, when we remove the explorer bezel, the crystal comes out along with bezel or remains seated in the case? and then we can just press the retainer ring around the crystal without getting it removed from the case?? thanks again

Are you worried that dust will get into the crystal; therefore, you want the crystal and gasket to remain seated around the rehaut when you are prying the bezel off?

The crystal and its gasket will likely come off with the bezel when you pry the bezel off: that is OK and there is nothing wrong with that. Just invest in some rodico and dust blower to remove the dust, reinstall and realign the crystal with its gasket attached, and press the bezel.

ashu2289

I'm Pretty Popular
16/6/13
Are you worried that dust will get into the crystal; therefore, you want the crystal and gasket to remain seated around the rehaut when you are prying the bezel off?

The crystal and its gasket will likely come off with the bezel when you pry the bezel off: that is OK and there is nothing wrong with that. Just invest in some rodico and dust blower to remove the dust, reinstall and realign the crystal with its gasket attached, and press the bezel.

yes you guessed it perfect. Its my fear of dust. I do have rodico n dust blower but still I really get nervous about the dust getting inside:)
Thanks a lot for you responses mate. It was really helpful:)

davealum

Certified
24/2/17
Left side of the USA
Could this be done with one of those old Noob 23j Explorer II cases? I have one laying around and might hunting down parts if it’s possible.

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Could this be done with one of those old Noob 23j Explorer II cases? I have one laying around and might hunting down parts if it’s possible.

I’ve read that “old” noob explorer II have a good case for a transformation in a GMT.

Reactions: davealum

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You will have some issues using a 2813 case unless you continue using a 2813 or 3804 movement. There are differences between the 2813 and the 2836 that would make it not so easy. Differences like stem height, movement holder, hands, dial feet positions, date window & cyclops position, etc.