• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help! Frankenjust stem height

Datedate

Horology Curious
8/12/18
I’m in the middle of a build using:
- gen 16014 case
- gen linen dial
- gen eta 2836-2
- raffles movement ring 2
- raffles dial spacer
- Tudor hands

Im following instructions on this thread: https://rwg.cc/topic/158976-diy-how-to-make-a-frankenjust/

Everything was going great and I actually managed to line DWO pretty well but alas when I put dial (with movement ring glued to it) and movement (with dial spacer clicked onto it) into the case, the stem height is about 1.5mm off, which means the stem can sort of go in but at a 20ish degree angle - hence could snap.

not what to do as the movement just seems to sit too high, not sure it’s a movement spacer issue. What can I do next?

Datedate

Horology Curious
8/12/18
Sorry, I should have mentioned - the stem hole sits too high (I.e. too far from dial)

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I think 2824 is more appropriate for those cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Datedate

Horology Curious
8/12/18
Thanks! I was actually under the impression that I’d have to change the pinions to make a 2824 work. In the tutorial, he uses a 2836 with the same case.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Thanks! I was actually under the impression that I’d have to change the pinions to make a 2824 work. In the tutorial, he uses a 2836 with the same case.

Do whatever pompom advises

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Rep parts (including movement rings) may have changed throughout time; therefore, they may not be manufactured to the same spec as when that article was written.

You need to buy a "Tudor 34mm case movement ring" from raffles instead. This type of movement ring fits from the bottom-up (I.e. instead of fitting the movement ring top-down onto the movement, in your case). http://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-28-0...ng-eta-2824-inside-the-34mm-tudor-watch-case/

Also, I recommend 2824-2 for new builders (instead of 2836-2) when it comes to 16000 case builds because they have a lower stem height (which provides more clearance for you to mess with the DWO and dial spacer height). If you use 2824-2 movement, they generally come with stock H2 wheels/pinion so you will need to also buy raffles tall post hands. I am not sure if the gen Tudor hands would provide enough clearance http://rafflesdials.com/one-set-of-...eta-2836-or-2824-or-2834-for-mens-36mm-watch/

Make sure the dial spacer (I.e. the metal that surrounds the DWO and date disc to provide clearance for the DWO and date disc to move) has enough clearance as well for the DWO and date disc to move. You can increase the dial spacer height by shimming the dial spacer with glue (and wait for it to dry to create a layer).

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Do whatever pompom advises

LOL
honestly these builds are tricky with random success at times. Sometimes, I have headaches and terrible luck at getting everything to work, especially that DWO clearance

Datedate

Horology Curious
8/12/18
Thanks so much for all the advice! I did try sanding the movement ring to reduce its thickness but I don’t feel this is the main issue. Also, putting the movement without the spacer doesn’t seem to help. Is it possible that this movement is just too thick for the case?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Wow. Don't know where the idea came from, but movement rings have no influence on stem height. The only ETA movement that is going to fit correctly into that case is one with a stem height of around 1.8 mm - this immediately excludes the 2836.
Doing weird voodoo shit such as turning movement rings upside down, aside from bringing pestilence and bad joojoo on you family for 6 generations will serve no purpose.

Edit, didn't ready OP correctly - 2836 will fit. 2824 is for 1600 cases.

Last edited:

Datedate

Horology Curious
8/12/18
This is all super useful / confusing :)

The original tutorial I’m following uses a 2836-2 and the exact same case. I agree that the movement ring does not seem to impact the stem height is the dial sits on the case and the movement + spacer (which has perfect clearance in my case) sits on the dial back.

With that in mind, how do people use a 2836 with this case? I believe multiple people have done this, there’s more or less a consensus out there that either 2824 or 2836 works... so is it all a big conspiracy??

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Link to the tutorial ?

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
tripdog , the link is at the first post...
Datedate , you have been told "Rep parts (including movement rings) may have changed throughout time; therefore, they may not be manufactured to the same spec as when that article was written."... hence you can have a different specs case...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
tripdog , the link is at the first post...
Datedate , you have been told "Rep parts (including movement rings) may have changed throughout time; therefore, they may not be manufactured to the same spec as when that article was written."... hence you can have a different specs case...

Thanks, didn''t see it.

Datedate In your OP you say the stem hole alignment with the tube is off by about 1.5 mm - this means there is something wrong with the assembly of the watch.

Rolex 16*** DJs take 3035 calibre movements, the stem height of these is 2.1 mm. The stem height of a 2836-1 is 2.25 mm, it doesn't line up perfectly, but the difference is not 1.5 mm.

You should check that the dial is seated correctly in the case - directly under the rehaut lip, check that the entire movement is seated correctly in the case. Check that you've assembled the dial, dial spacer and movement correctly. If you have a difference of 1.5 mm between stem hole and tube hole then something is very wrong.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I have a 2836 in my Rolex 16030 case and it lines up really well. That watch came with a Rolex 3035. How thick is your dial spacer ring between the dial and the movement? You prob have a thick spacer for the dial to clear the datewheel. But I would think that if the spacer was that thick, you wouldn’t get the hour hand on without rubbing. Generally the ETA 2836 will fit in a 3035 case and the ETA 2824 will fit in a 3135 case. Pretty close anyways. As Tripdog says you should check that the dial is seating properly. Something is definitely not right. Are you sure it’s a genuine case and not some aftermarket case made for a 2824?

Reactions: Dino2018

Datedate

Horology Curious
8/12/18
Well, based on feedback and source, I think the case is legit but who knows. Here’s the original post on eBay: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rolex-origi...ck-bezel-silver-floren-dial-S-S-/273511758884

And this is the movement I bought: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Original-ETA-2836-2-Automatic-Watch-Movement-25J-/123416466506

As far as I can tell, the dial sits well in the case and the spacer isn’t the issue. When I remove the spacer, I can see that the movement sits snugly onto dial (bc no space between datewheel and dial is visible when I look at front of dial). When I put movement and dial in case and I look through the case stem hole, I only see the bottom 40% of the movement’s stem hole. I guess a 2824 would have lower stem height but it does seem like something else is off....

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Case is gen, so is dial.

Are you putting the dial spacer on the right way up ? - if it's the same spacer as in the pic on eBay it's L shaped in profile, and it should go on the movement like a lid would. Also check that it is seated correctly on it's lip on the outside of the movement - this can sometimes be tricky because it's often a very snug fit.

The way to tell if the dial spacer is seated correctly us if the space between the dial and the date wheel is barely nothing - it should not be a noticeable gap.

When everything is lined up and seated correctly - with movement tabs and screws in place, as this will make a slight difference too - you should have about 75% of the stem hole visible inside the tube.

Reactions: KJ2020

Datedate

Horology Curious
8/12/18
Oh so it’s normal for it to sit about .5mm too high?

Also, will movement tabs really push movement down any? I thought they are just meant to stop it from sliding sideways but don’t affect stem height. I haven’t put them on yet so maybe that would help.

As far as spacer is concerned, I think I’m putting it right, it clicks onto the movement. Also, even if I drop movement into dial and case without the spacer, problem persists.