• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bracelet scratches on brand new Sub

Dynaboy2

Known Member
25/10/18
Greetings All-

I recently purchased a Sub from WBK and while I completely understand that this is an entry level rep I'm a bit disappointed that every time I open the bracelet claspit scratches the link it makes contact with. I've been wearing the watch less then a week and it already has pronounced scracthes in said location. Can anyone offer any recommendations on removing the scratches or making it so this doesn't occur?? Thank you very much.

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Wear your new piece in good health!

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Cape Cod polishing cloth will take scratches off but if it gets scratched everytime you'll be polishing it more than wearing it. Are you talking about the flip lock striking the link above when opened, or the clasp scraping the sides of a link near the end of the clasp. Maybe post a pic. You can bend the clasp sides open a bit if that would help.

ottomatic

Renowned Member
Supporter
12/2/12
That has nothing to do with it being a WBK. My Noob Subs and Sea Dweller have those rub marks too. I don't pay any attention to them, but if it really bothers you, you can remove the marks with a Bergeon scratch pen.

Reactions: mulishaflawda

mulishaflawda

Known Member
28/4/16
CONUS
Bergeron scratch pad or simply go under your sink and grab a scotch brite green pad and go to town with it.

Dynaboy2

Known Member
25/10/18
KJ 2020 it's occurring where the fliplock strikes the link above it. Thank you

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
It did it on my Noob and my PO42 too .

i took a benching stone and hit the area that was causing the scratching , giving it a nicer radius , then polished that edge , didnt fix it but it doesne scratch so noticeably any more

Reactions: Maron

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ 2020 it's occurring where the fliplock strikes the link above it. Thank you

Polish the scratches out with a buffer and rouge, then Cape Cod, etc. Then if you REALLY want no more scratches do one or both of two things.

Don't let the flip lock touch the bracelet when you lift it. Sounds troublesome, I know but I have a gen GMT 28 years old that I guard against ALL contact with everything with great success.

Or, put a small rectangular piece of protective clear tape on the target link. Packing tape will work well, cut it with small manicureing scissors. It will take a few tries to get a useable piece that small without compromising the adhesive with fingerprints, etc but I've done similar things that small. A clear sticker cut to size would also work. There are also aftermarket tape products specifically designed for protecting Rolex PCL's, people cover every link with it.

Believe me I understand the desire to achieve scratch free perfection, I doubt anyone is more anal about it than me. But even I will tolerate a few in the clasp area temporarily until the next polishing. Don't let it ruin your enjoyment of the watch, focus on the overall beauty and blur your vision of the flaws a little.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Jeepers guys are you serious? Wear the watch and get scratches on it, bang it on something accidentally. I promise you will survive and it will get easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Realtime

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/5/18
How can you be worried about scratching a SS rep bracelet? People scratch Gen bracelets all day and you dont hear them crying. Either buff it with a tampon or buy a leather strap.

Totally agree with this

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17

i took a benching stone and hit the area that was causing the scratching , giving it a nicer radius , then polished that edge , didnt fix it but it doesne scratch so noticeably any more

This is what you need to do. Goes for any Rolex rep. I did it with a moddeling file - you just need to go over the sharp edge on the clasp which is touching and smooth it down. If you just scotchbrite the bracelet you’re not fixing the problem.

Reactions: Maron

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
People have different preferences and tolerances for their watch's appearance. It is definitely more work to maintain the new look of a watch, but if that choice is made it's just as legitimate as letting it wear down naturally.

Coming up on 29 years old, paid $1300 for it and have turned down $9K for it.

15246658446040.jpg

Reactions: ottomatic

alessandri

I'm Pretty Popular
28/10/15

This works. If you do this and open it carefully after that, the problem is gone. Tape the inside edges of the fliplock first. The edges you are not polishing. I use a metal fingernail file to start and then dremel polish.

Reactions: KJ2020 and Maron

mrxciter

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/17
looks amazing for 29 years old, i’d like a gmt pepsi but they go for over 50% rrp

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
If you go the kj2020 way, you might get a polished part on the bracelet, not fitting in with the rest?

Reactions: KJ2020

mrmckhansi

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Certified
8/11/18
somewhere
I had also some scratches on my bracelet and I just handover my watch to my watch smith and he polished the complete bracelet for 15€ and it looks like new baam...

:)

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI