• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Have people tested waterproofness of reps?

csalt

Horology Curious
29/10/18
So I bought the cheapest DHgate rep I could find. So cheap, if you google the serial number on the watch you get "submariner" fake/counterfeit/etc. I bought it as a test. I haven't worn a watch in at least 10 years then out of the blue I decided I wanted a nice watch, probably a Rolex. So I got something that would approximate the weight and feel and if after a month of wearing it I still wanted a real one I would buy one. Which I now think I will.

The thing is this. It's a surprisingly decent watch. It has a few "tells". The crown on the dial face isn't quite right and the font on "feet" as in "1000 ft" is too large for this particular model (114060). Probably a few others. It runs about 30 seconds fast a day but exactly 30 seconds fast... So the movement is... decent? It is an automatic. It could be adjusted to run well. I can tell it has a clone of a 3135 movement since it has a stop for the date wheel function that is absent on the face. But it also has a lot of details like an inscribed rehaut, the little etched crown on the crystal and so on. It's also tough. I have treated it like shit for a month and neither the case or the crystal is scratched at all. The fake rubber b strap it came with is perfect.

It does have a gasketed, screw down crown that doesn't feel too bad. There is this perception that everything cheap and Chinese is garbage but that hasn't been my experience. I have bought swords that were inexpensive but were hand forged and obviously there was quite a bit of care and dare I say, pride, in their finishing and assembly. Why would people who make stuff feel any different about their products there than we do here. They need repeat buyers too. Maybe I just don't get it/smoking crack/whatever.

So my inquiry is whether people have actually water tested these cheap reps. Making something waterproof isn't rocket science with only a few points of entry. Once you are past 1 atm it's mostly about deformation of hardward around the gaskets.

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
First off, not a clone of the 3135. I would wager $100 that it has a 2813 inside. The 3135 movement runs about 100 by itself.

Second, yes waterproofing reps is a very easy process

Reactions: Chyrule and Maron

csalt

Horology Curious
29/10/18
First off, not a clone of the 3135. I would wager $100 that it has a 2813 inside. The 3135 movement runs about 100 by itself.

Second, yes waterproofing reps is a very easy process

Well, who knows what it has. The rotor is a bit noisy but does the job. I suppose what I meant by the 3135 clone thing is that it has some kind of date function that is not shown on the dial face.

Waterproofing reps is easy? I admit to being new here but a link would help. Probably buying a gen 14060 soon but this might be handy as a beater.

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
Open up the caseback. Grease the oring with some silicone grease. Close it up tight. Add some grease to the threads of the crown. Screw that down tight. Take it to the mall or a watch store and pay them to pressure test it. Most submariner reps should be able to take at least 6 bar no problem. Leaks from the crystal gasket are unlikely but not unheard of. If it leaks get some UV curing epoxy and glue the crystal down. Retest for leaks. If it passes the pressure test to 6bar is basically waterproof for most activities short of deep sea diving.

Reactions: Ecender

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Open up the caseback. Grease the oring with some silicone grease. Close it up tight. Add some grease to the threads of the crown. Screw that down tight. Take it to the mall or a watch store and pay them to pressure test it. Most submariner reps should be able to take at least 6 bar no problem. Leaks from the crystal gasket are unlikely but not unheard of. If it leaks get some UV curing epoxy and glue the crystal down. Retest for leaks. If it passes the pressure test to 6bar is basically waterproof for most activities short of deep sea diving.

May I ask why uv cure resin? Also, wouldn’t you try to replace the gasket for Swiss made? Asking for a friend

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
There may be small deformities in the manufacturing of the case which is stopping the gasket from properly sealing. There are also no guarantees that the gaskets used are the same size as their gen counterpart. Clear epoxy solves both of these possibilities.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
There may be small deformities in the manufacturing of the case which is stopping the gasket from properly sealing. There are also no guarantees that the gaskets used are the same size as their gen counterpart. Clear epoxy solves both of these possibilities.

What brand do you use that work well?

Reactions: Volvo 850r

csalt

Horology Curious
29/10/18

First off, thanks to everyone for the helpful information.

Regarding the quote, that would be my first concern. While engineering a waterproof case isn't rocket science it does have to be right in the right places. I suspect that is where Rolex earns their money. Gaskets aren't there to hold back extreme pressure differentials. They mostly take care of splash level stuff. Even 1/2 ATM down the material fit is what keeps something waterproof. So the tolerances have to be pretty tight in a few places.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Most mid level and above reps can pass at least three atm pressure testing. Out of the 40 or so watches I've had in my hands and tested I've only had one failure, and that was at the Crystal gasket. I'd suggest before you do anything either take it to a local watch store and have them pressure tested or buying an inexpensive pressure tester like I have and test it yourself. If it passes then there's no need to do anything further. I did have one inexpensive Omega that was missing the case back gasket but after that was replaced then the watch passed three atmosphere. Most of my collection has been tested and passed at least 3 ATM.....below is a couple random examples of tests that I've done on my watches.
LMPO
IMG_20170726_1529195303c71ae5d8e3cd.jpg

IMG_20170726_152923bcae594a4427429d.jpg

IMG_20170726_152908965f59cf1167059b.jpg

Wm9 yachtmaster
IMG_20180820_101819b53978c8af3dc36e.jpg

IMG_20180820_101810282e541dafddebe4.jpg

Pam 088
IMG_20180529_1328385d43f4aa987b5e49.jpg

IMG_20170526_230743.jpg

IMG_20170526_230737.jpg

IMG_20170526_230529.jpg

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
So I bought the cheapest DHgate rep I could find. So cheap, if you google the serial number on the watch you get "submariner" fake/counterfeit/etc. I bought it as a test. I haven't worn a watch in at least 10 years then out of the blue I decided I wanted a nice watch, probably a Rolex. So I got something that would approximate the weight and feel and if after a month of wearing it I still wanted a real one I would buy one. Which I now think I will.

The thing is this. It's a surprisingly decent watch. It has a few "tells". The crown on the dial face isn't quite right and the font on "feet" as in "1000 ft" is too large for this particular model (114060). Probably a few others. It runs about 30 seconds fast a day but exactly 30 seconds fast... So the movement is... decent? It is an automatic. It could be adjusted to run well. I can tell it has a clone of a 3135 movement since it has a stop for the date wheel function that is absent on the face. But it also has a lot of details like an inscribed rehaut, the little etched crown on the crystal and so on. It's also tough. I have treated it like shit for a month and neither the case or the crystal is scratched at all. The fake rubber b strap it came with is perfect.

It does have a gasketed, screw down crown that doesn't feel too bad. There is this perception that everything cheap and Chinese is garbage but that hasn't been my experience. I have bought swords that were inexpensive but were hand forged and obviously there was quite a bit of care and dare I say, pride, in their finishing and assembly. Why would people who make stuff feel any different about their products there than we do here. They need repeat buyers too. Maybe I just don't get it/smoking crack/whatever.

So my inquiry is whether people have actually water tested these cheap reps. Making something waterproof isn't rocket science with only a few points of entry. Once you are past 1 atm it's mostly about deformation of hardward around the gaskets.

I've got a very cheap $50US DH Gate (116610) coming cos i want a work watch I don't care about, so that my V9 stays nice, it'll undoubtedly have a 2813 in it. I also have a water pressure tester coming from ebay same as the one in this post so it'll be fun to test it, i'm also really interested to compare the two. I've also managed to secure a cheap (half decent looking) 16610 so I'll test this also and keep the best option. anyone know if you can replace the 2813 with something more decent if it (when it!) packs in?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Rx4Time Check this out! Got my new (ish) Sub up to 6Bar!

Sweet! Now you can relax and enjoy it in the water without fear. Just remember to make sure the crown is completely screwed down, and if you go in salt water make sure and rinse it off afterwards. Enjoy!

Reactions: Jackster

csalt

Horology Curious
29/10/18
Rx4Time Check this out! Got my new (ish) Sub up to 6Bar!

That is great news! Wonder if it varies from watch to watch or if they actually build them to some kind of spec. You probably have essentially the same watch I do. Probably the same serial number (Google it for laughs).

That pressure tester appears to test them to destruction? If it leaks the watch is pretty much toast.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
That is great news! Wonder if it varies from watch to watch or if they actually build them to some kind of spec. You probably have essentially the same watch I do. Probably the same serial number (Google it for laughs).

That pressure tester appears to test them to destruction? If it leaks the watch is pretty much toast.

Just remove the movement.

Reactions: StrangwaysAtoll

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Mike got my Sub he just did some work on up to 10 bar. I think these watches can be very reliable underwater if they’re built right.

por5i.jpg

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
Guys, greasing gasket doesn’t make it waterproof and only extend live of gasket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very true. I find most of the time you need to replace rep caseback gaskets in submariners with stock size gaskets which are thicker. The rep ones are too skinny and probably aren’t going to seal properly. The deciding factor of the watch being even water resistant is the tolerence to which it’s made. A cheap rep will be very hard to make waterproof while a good rep like an ARF will prob pass basic waterproofing tests as long as the watch is assembled correctly. Greasing seals helps a bit in keeping the water out but if it’s a poorly build watch then all the grease in the world won’t keep the water out. For my vintage Rolex I use Gen crown and tube and that’s waterproof. Then I use Rolex thickness caseback gaskets and make sure the crystal presses on tightly and then I’ve never had a problem swimming with them.