• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF Blue Two Tone Submariner

Aston

RWG mod Chiquita Fanjita
Supporter
1/9/11
The crown on the LN version looks a lot better. Seems to screw down more flush than on the LB.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The crown not screwing down flush is an issue that affects many ARF models randomly. It results from improper tube installation, the tube is not countersunk to the correct depth. It should be caught in QC and is grounds for rejection IMO.

Hurricane3710

Known Member
19/3/18
Nyc
Minus the bracelet. Which is the closest to gen aka dial, insert etc. everything I hear bout the vrf bracelet but seeing pics, the dial and insert aren’t very good, so I would pass on it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Minus the bracelet. Which is the closest to gen aka dial, insert etc. everything I hear bout the vrf bracelet but seeing pics, the dial and insert aren’t very good, so I would pass on it.

I found the VRF dial and bezel to both be quite nice looking. Next to a gen I don't think any of the reps will stand up to the scrutiny.

Outdoor

15538271156550.jpg

Indoor (two different light angles)

VvCK7T.jpg

15538197243830.jpg

Reactions: Nivka

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
The insert on the VRF is way too bright! Instant tell for me and a deal breaker. Sadly Gen inserts are extremelly pricey, for me it's better to just go for one from the R factory :)

Pelagic

Renowned Member
30/8/07
Could it be the same watch as this new wrapped BP? I’ve heard GMF is BP?

https://ts-station.cn/goods.php?ProId=25619

On puretime it says the GMF uses 316L steel whereas the BP is 904L...it’s all so confusing:D

Those all look to be the same watch. Just picked one up for a lot less than both those dealers are selling them for. It’s 904 and the sels are plated/wrapped on the sides of the midlink same clasp code same midcase and crappy purple dial. I think it’s all a marketing scam.

Reactions: Rolemars and KJ2020

Rustyrust

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/5/18
Yup Toro said the “new” GMF and BP are the same watch.

Did you get yours from Trusty for $378?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The insert on the VRF is way too bright! Instant tell for me and a deal breaker. Sadly Gen inserts are extremelly pricey, for me it's better to just go for one from the R factory :)

The VRF insert is not too bright IMO. I don't think there's a big difference among reps in the tone/shade of insert color. Those previous pics were taken in very bright, direct light. Here's one is a more subtle light.

VIKMV0.jpg

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
The VRF insert is not too bright IMO. I don't think there's a big difference among reps in the tone/shade of insert color. Those previous pics were taken in very bright, direct light. Here's one is a more subtle light.

I think the ARF is a little darker, but I can only speak from pictures, never seen any of them in real life. The 116613 LB is one of my all time favourite watches, but it's not a financially smart decision to build a franken :D That VRF looks much better in that shot though! :)

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I think the ARF is a little darker, but I can only speak from pictures, never seen any of them in real life. The 116613 LB is one of my all time favourite watches, but it's not a financially smart decision to build a franken :D That VRF looks much better in that shot though! :)

Here's a pic of the gen, and a Noob from RG

Gen

20190403-084408.jpg

Noob​​​​​​

Screenshot-20190403-082514-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yeah that's a pretty stark contrast...

Heh, in the pic you posted the VRF DOES look bigger than gen as someone here posted previously.

About the Franken though, it's been done extremely well for a good bit less than gen. Have you seen Mr. Beasy's Bluesy?

Reactions: Rolemars

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
Yeah that's a pretty stark contrast...

Heh, in the pic you posted the VRF DOES look bigger than gen as someone here posted previously.

About the Franken though, it's been done extremely well for a good bit less than gen. Have you seen Mr. Beasy's Bluesy?

I have! Looks pretty damn good, such a great build! But personally I prefer getting a gen for 10k to spending around 3k+ on a franken. The idea of paying 2k+ in mods scares me a little bit. It's like tuning a car. The gen holds most of it's value in the long run (10+ years) and it's easier to sell if I ever regret it.
Frankening is an amazing hobbie for genuine artists (I have seen incredible work in this forum!), but on this specific model it doesn't make sense for me financially (i.e. the price ratio between a near perfect franken and gen would not justify it).The rep world is also fast paced, you never know if in a few months a factory will be able to improve the sunburst dial, insert color, crystal etc, all of that for around 500-600 USD. :)
Guess I'm thankful we have this amazing community to discuss this :clap_1:

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have! Looks pretty damn good, such a great build! But personally I prefer getting a gen for 10k to spending around 3k+ on a franken. The idea of paying 2k+ in mods scares me a little bit. It's like tuning a car. The gen holds most of it's value in the long run (10+ years) and it's easier to sell if I ever regret it.
Frankening is an amazing hobbie for genuine artists (I have seen incredible work in this forum!), but on this specific model it doesn't make sense for me financially (i.e. the price ratio between a near perfect franken and gen would not justify it).The rep world is also fast paced, you never know if in a few months a factory will be able to improve the sunburst dial, insert color, crystal etc, all of that for around 500-600 USD. :)
Guess I'm thankful we have this amazing community to discuss this :clap_1:

Totally understand. You pay a pretty good preimium to step up to Franken quality vs. OOTB rep. It all comes down to how much we're willing to pay to sustain our fantasy. I tend to want to pay the minimum but sometimes the fantasy just isn't getting fulfilled!

I'd be very interested in seeing more pics of the GMF and the Noob if anyone has any. The bracelet color on the GMF and the insert color on the Noob could be big determining factors.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here's a couple of Noob pics, just polished by the amazing Jonj480

Insert color looks very good

Screenshot-20190403-112602-Gallery.jpg

20190403-112257.jpg