• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Is it real"

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
Truth be told.. i could pull it off. I'm in the lucky situation of owning two companies and be my own boss. I

I actually do own a gen Datejust from my birth year. Could buy another two or three in heartbeat - but thats not the problem. The problem (if you wanna call it so) is this..

I am literally every day standing in front of the AD, looking at my grail - the 116618ln. As Prafit says: "the Landlord watch" (lol youtube it). I could go in. Shell out the cash. And walk out with the damn watch, heck i already talked to them.

But then i lose my grail. Y'know. It's not the grail anymore if i have it at home.

I told some of my Friends about this Dilemma and when i recently sported my bp v2 116618ln - they all were like "finally you got it".

I replied with a "no, man.. not yet!" ;)
So to answer the question - i usually just tell it like it is. Nothing to hide and a few first world problems.

Dantona1984

6/2/17
England
Truth be told.. i could pull it off. I'm in the lucky situation of owning two companies and be my own boss. I

I actually do own a gen Datejust from my birth year. Could buy another two or three in heartbeat - but thats not the problem. The problem (if you wanna call it so) is this..

I am literally every day standing in front of the AD, looking at my grail - the 116618ln. As Prafit says: "the Landlord watch" (lol youtube it). I could go in. Shell out the cash. And walk out with the damn watch, heck i already talked to them.

But then i lose my grail. Y'know. It's not the grail anymore if i have it at home.

I told some of my Friends about this Dilemma and when i recently sported my bp v2 116618ln - they all were like "finally you got it".

I replied with a "no, man.. not yet!" ;)
So to answer the question - i usually just tell it like it is. Nothing to hide and a few first world problems.

The ‘never meet your hero’ affect. I had this with my 16520. Lusted for years then when I had it, it felt normal.

Don’t get the grail, you’ll never get that excitement back haha.

Reactions: Maru and Itto

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
depend of your situation... if you have nive job, nice clothes, nice car(s), nice house you got less possiblity to be ask if your watch is real or not.

But of course if like the other days i see a delivery guy wearing a yellow gold RO i can be sure it's fake (i don't even care ask him)...
or when i see students here ordering Patek or other replica of 20k+ watches

Do not be fooled by appearances, everybody has already seen a guy dressed like a bum but you know he has lot of cash.

Last edited:

ROXOLO

Known Member
9/12/18
If i’m being asked by a friend or collegue i always tell the truth. Watches are a hobby and i would dare to say a lot of rep collectors are as passionnate -or MORE PASSIONATE- about watches as the average wealthy guy who just buys an expensive watch because he buys EVERYTHING expensive. Yesterday i showed my brand new regmariner Snowtrooper to a friend who owns a gen Pepsi, gen Kermit, and gen Sub C. He was surprised at the degree of finition (of course I told him the price) and by the fact they made « fake bamfords ». The rest of the world either won’t notice what’s on your wrist or will assume it’s fake if you take public transports and wear sneakers, period.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant RWI

Maru

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/11/18
Coming back to this after awhile: So far only one person has assumed it was real, so I just let them. No one has asked me yet though, except for my Mom when I flew out to visit her. She put her glasses on and grab my wrist and said "Hold on, where did you get this?" She thought it was real, but knew me too well to know I'm too frugal to purchase a watch this expensive, even if I did have the money. She was really impressed by the quality of the rep. Other then that, no one has even mentioned my watch. I thought wearing a Rolex would invoke more of a response. I see people glance at it here and there, but no one says anything. It's believable that I can own one because I dress in all brand name, stylish, classy clothes and my house is pretty decent. I agree that it can't look out of place or people will probably just assume from jump street that "it's a rep".

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Only 2 people have asked me that question, a close friend and a colleague.

Close friend: "nah mate, I'd never spend that much silly money on a watch, it's a really accurate Chinese replica".

Work colleague: .. Well, I carried on talking with my other colleague as I was before he interrupted us to ask that stupid and rude question you should not ask anyone unless you are friends with that person.

I find that question really stupid, closely followed by "how much did you pay?". If a stranger is worried about any of those two things it means he's trying to judge you by that. To what I say: F U. But the infamous nut punch technique would be the appropriate response to this, indeed.

To the "how much" I usually reply "that's a question a gentleman never answers... nor asks". Again, unless they're friends or family. Like you all, fellow reppers ;-P

Reactions: Maru and watchboi

psssniper

Supporter
Certified
25/4/17
Other than my watch friends of which there are two, no one really notices and even fewer will ever comment. My experiences with comments thus far.

Going through the metal detectors at a hockey game, I ask if I need to remove my watch, 116520 noob 4130, security guys says "Nice watch!"

Ordering a couple beers and a bartender chick literally grabbed my wrist and said "don't see a jubilee on a 1675 that often do ya?" you just did.....

I do see people taking a glance now and then, but actual comments are rare. As for being able to "carry off" a watch, I think some of is your station and the other is your chutzpah.
I own a small construction company, and I dress like an owner operator, worn work boots, jeans, carhart shirts and gear, yet I will wear a Noob 116520, 116500, yodog 6542, and many other new style and vintaged reps with sheer chutzpah.

Reactions: Maru

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
As I've lurked around on this forum, I've always wondered how often people ask you guys if your watch is real and when they do how you typically respond?

I've never been asked, "Is it real", but I don't wear reps of $100,000.00+ watches either. Also, never wear a rep into an AD store.... it is a "cardinal sin" around here.

Reactions: Vince Ong and Maru

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
I ask and when I do, people shy away, at first hiding theirs...never know if you are talking to someone who will rob you and so you do need to be careful. Then they look at mine as I glance it out and they say nice watch too..then something weird happens..we start to talk watch. Most people I talk to or comment on don’t remember where, who, or how they get them, usually the well off folks. The true collector will sit there and describe everything about his/her watch. I had my 116613lb bluesy on and one gentleman had said, never sell that. Most regretted watch I ever got rid of...he was wearing a Pepsi, 5 digit, older guy. I’m in the retail business along with finance and walk into a meeting...you will see a sea of high end watches.

Reactions: Vince Ong and Maru

Wildcatfan

13/2/18
The ‘never meet your hero’ affect. I had this with my 16520. Lusted for years then when I had it, it felt normal.

Don’t get the grail, you’ll never get that excitement back haha.

That's the truth. All the fun is in dreaming about having things. Once you get them it's kind of blah and on to the next dream.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
thumbnail
I lusted after this one (Gen) for 25 years before I was able to get one. I think the key to keep up the excitement for it is not to wear it all the time. That's the role my reps fill for me now.

Taz71

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/6/16
Parts Unknown
I’ve never been asked, complemented yes, but never questioned. I think members of this forum notice watches more than the general public, I know I do.

Frankie9

Renowned Member
1/1/19
Ontario, Canada
I’ve been asked a couple times and of course it’s real. I spend a lot of time and money on these reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InfiniteOcean

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/1/19
Washington State
I never lie about the authenticity, but I try my best not to tell them them anything either, there is always something you can say to divert an Inquisition, like, what do you think? Why would this be fake? Do you have a fake watch?

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
I was once asked for my Exp II 216570, which was a nice rep, but it die a few years ago and I don't know where it ended.
The guy who asked is a friend of mine, who became more close when he found it was ok to share his hobby with someone, he had a 126334 with an Gen ETA inside.

guybythelake

13/7/14
Is someone was to ask if my watch is real, i would simply say "do you wanna buy it?" If they are stupid enough to continue then i would recomend they go to a watch store for watch shopping.

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
If I get asked, I will tell them. I have nothing to hide, and I can show them how good reps are as most people think they are "Canal Street" garbage. If they only knew!