• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Is it real"

Lliu31

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/2/17
NYC
I think it's about the biases such as but not limited to age and presentation. I wore a gen 116610 during university. It was a gift from my parents for scoring high on the SATs and getting into my choice college. I was asked all the time if it was authentic by classmates. I was 19 and unemployed being that I was a full time student. An $8400 watch on my wrist was sure to raise suspicion. I'm now 24, working as a banker making good money. I've long sold my gen sub and now I wear the ARF sub. Not one person has asked me if it is real.

Reactions: Maron

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I think it's about the biases such as but not limited to age and presentation. I wore a gen 116610 during university. It was a gift from my parents for scoring high on the SATs and getting into my choice college. I was asked all the time if it was authentic by classmates. I was 19 and unemployed being that I was a full time student. An $8400 watch on my wrist was sure to raise suspicion. I'm now 24, working as a banker making good money. I've long sold my gen sub and now I wear the ARF sub. Not one person has asked me if it is real.

Good share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iana

Horology Curious
23/11/18

So you sold your parents gift?

Bossmaster1337

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/8/17
Been asked 1 time, by my girlfriend when we first started dating and she wondered why I have a different swiss watch everytime. While I am at work I've gotten many complements and never been asked of it's real or not

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
I just get a "nice watch" every now and then. If somebody asks is it real I will say no, and be on my way. I do not have to anything to hide.

71bucks

18/5/10
I'm always interested in hearing people's responses to this topic.

Nobody I'm around is/would be impressed by a watch. But I think almost everyone thinks that wearing a replica would only be done to impress people so I wouldn't admit to wearing a replica.

I like great watches with great style and a lot of these replicas qualify. If someone is impressed that person is probably a fool who I wouldn't care about anyhow. More of a concern would actually be a person saying 'why would you spend that kind of money on a watch?'

Reactions: Yachtmaster_Chris

Lliu31

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/2/17
NYC
Yes. They understand. My family all works in finance and government. We see value propositions purely in a monetary perspective. At the end of the day, a watch is a tool. We don't believe in the BS of saving it to the next generation or the other marketing gimmicks. Reconsolidate the sale money into a down payment for my mustang lol

Reactions: Yachtmaster_Chris

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Getting my first Rolex was a milestone for me. I had never thought in my life I could afford one nor had thought to ever spend the money to get one, cost soooo much as I have other more important things I could spend my money on. Then I got a job promotion years later, after the many, and my wife surprised me with a party and a new Rolex, because she knew I was too cheap to buy one for myself. We had married young, had children, and didn’t have a lot of money back in our younger days (college). I’ve always loved watches and always wore one. Always had thought it was a true mans jewlery that you can wear that represents you. Getting a Rolex expanded my love for watches. Its amazing to see the qaulity go up on these reps. I’m truly amazed and blessed. Here is a picture of my first present I received from my wife, a long time ago when we had first married, along the one she bought me for my job promotion. Always two keepers for me!

kaddy

Known Member
14/7/18
Most people who notice your watch will not be vocal about it.

If they do they may only confront you with a compliment. It would take a lot of willpower (or issues) for someone to call someone out for having a rep.

InfiniteOcean

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/1/19
Washington State
Yes. They understand. My family all works in finance and government. We see value propositions purely in a monetary perspective. At the end of the day, a watch is a tool. We don't believe in the BS of saving it to the next generation or the other marketing gimmicks. Reconsolidate the sale money into a down payment for my mustang lol

So to recap

BS-=passing down a valuable gift that increases in value to your children

" A watch is a tool" - everything is a tool dude.

Payment for my mustang- also a tool, that depreciates horribly, gets no respect, and looks like crap in 3 years . So from a monetary perspective with so much finance background. You tell me which is the better move. selling something that doesent decrease and gains in value only to buy something that loses 20 % it's first month off the lot and loses 80% of it's value in 10 years ? I fail to see how something that holds it's value is a marketing gimmick. And something that doesent isn't. Get it?

All that said, it's your stuff. Do whatever you want. But don't rope value propositions,
​​​​​Gimmicks and monetary perspective Into this. I don't think many would consider trading in a rolex for a mustang as a financially sound decision. Especially when your parents gave you the watch. That's a chance to honor a gift and gesture your parents gave you for a worse gift you want to give yourself.

Reactions: nest1

Lliu31

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/2/17
NYC
You can rep a submariner, not a mustang. ;)
cultural differences I guess.

Dufan

7/10/18
it depends what work you do, what house you have, what kind of machine you have. if these three things coincide upwards no one will ever ask you this question.

Reactions: Maru

Yachtmaster_Chris

Known Member
31/3/18
Hawaii, USA
I get asked this every time I tell someone about or show them my GEN Rolex (friends and acquaintances mostly) let alone a rep. Strangers just look at the wrist and eventually walk away without saying anything, or they don't even notice at all. Unfortunately, it's kind of the default question non-watch people have when they hear "Rolex".

If I happen to be wearing one of my reps and someone does notice my watch and they ask the "is it real?" question, I really don't feel like going into some deep explanation of whether or not this one is a rep, what is a rep, why wear a rep when I own a gen, explaining if "parts of the watch" are real (in the case of franken watches), where did I buy it, how can I afford it, etc. I just say, "Yeah man, take a look." or, "Yes, thanks for noticing!".

The conversation usually lasts 3-5 sentences. They usually are not as interested as you think, at least in my experience .

Reactions: donpepe and Maru

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
Never been asked, never have I asked - not the done thing in London. I had two people want to fondle my TC 16610, one a deeply pro 6 digit sub man, and he loved it and had no clue.

London is weird. I have posted about my experiences of being on the Tube and seeing more Rolexes there than I'd ever seen before outside a dealer's (I've now done some work in VC - that situation has changed to being one where EVERYONE in the entire office is wearing a Rolex or AP).

I have spotted many reps in the wild. The fridge repairman with a BLNR. The hotel receiptionist on a Greek island who looked about 12 wearing a Day Date. A restaurant manager the other day rocking a quartz AP. A waiter 10 years ago in Australia with the most horrendous knockoff of the Bond SMP imaginable. The letting agent showing me the property in which I now live with a Cartier Santos which looked severely out of place on his wrist. An AP on the wrist of a fellow function attendee sat two seats away which I knew was not the real thing.

However, I absolutely do not query them - decorum.

batman007

Known Member
13/2/18
depend of your situation... if you have nive job, nice clothes, nice car(s), nice house you got less possiblity to be ask if your watch is real or not.

But of course if like the other days i see a delivery guy wearing a yellow gold RO i can be sure it's fake (i don't even care ask him)...
or when i see students here ordering Patek or other replica of 20k+ watches

Reactions: Maru