• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob Daytona bezel not sitting all the way down

Tommastie

Known Member
Certified
18/8/18
I’ve just received my noob Daytona and I’ve noticed that the crystal wasn’t protruding as much as my other Daytona. Then I saw that my bezel is not sitting all the way flush with the case. Is there something that I can do by myself or will I need a professional to fix this?

onFr6.jpg

ongRq.jpg

onYw0.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The bezel needs to be pressed down with a crystal press. If you have no experience with this type of fix, I recommend using someone who does. Ceramic inserts are brittle if force is used unevenly. Cracking or breaking is a risk to be very aware of in doing this.

Jxwatch1

Supporter
Certified
3/10/18
Others are actually trying to achieve your watch where the crystal is not protruding as much. Check the total thickness of the watch gen is around 12.8mm if that matches yours i wouldnt worry too much mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So it would need to be removed and then press back in?

This absolutely needs to be fixed, it's not a matter of appearance. Whoever does it needs to assess the risk of where to start from. If it is removed, the crystal will come with it so they need to be prepared for that. It looks to me like it could be pressed in place without removing it first. Getting it exactly even and keeping it that way during the press is difficult to do since it's a tight fit (necessary to keep the crystal watertight). You need to avoid it getting cocked while it cinches home. Using a press gives the best chance of maintaining even downward pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommastie

Tommastie

Known Member
Certified
18/8/18
This absolutely needs to be fixed, it's not a matter of appearance. Whoever does it needs to assess the risk of where to start from. If it is removed, the crystal will come with it so they need to be prepared for that. It looks to me like it could be pressed in place without removing it first. Getting it exactly even and keeping it that way during the press is difficult to do since it's a tight fit (necessary to keep the crystal watertight). You need to avoid it getting cocked while it cinches home. Using a press gives the best chance of maintaining even downward pressure.

If I can’t find a local watchsmith to work on it, can I just ignore it. Will it be a problem in the long run?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If I can’t find a local watchsmith to work on it, can I just ignore it. Will it be a problem in the long run?

I would not ignore it. The bezel is what anchors the crystal. It's a water protection issue and you could catch it on something or knock into something and the whole bezel/crystal/gasket assembly pops off and maybe one or both parts shatter in a fall.

Before I would ignore it, if you are handy at all you can buy a crystal press and some dies for about $25 and fix it yourself.

https://youtu.be/bpB5HhQb8uA

Reactions: Tommastie

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
I’ve just received my noob Daytona and I’ve noticed that the crystal wasn’t protruding as much as my other Daytona. Then I saw that my bezel is not sitting all the way flush with the case. Is there something that I can do by myself or will I need a professional to fix this?

onFr6.jpg

ongRq.jpg

onYw0.jpg

Mines doing the same thing. Did you ever manage to get it down?

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
use a crystal press with the correct dies to press it tight

Seefeld

Proud supporter
Supporter
Certified
22/10/18
Check the total thickness of the watch gen is around 12.8mm if that matches yours i wouldnt worry too much mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually gen is 12.2 and noob should be 12.5 or a bit more, 12.8 is a brick imho.

Anyway I'd never press the bezel by myself!

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
The bezel ships like this so you can remove it easily for an Arf ;-)

Reactions: KJ2020

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
Just a heads up i bought the cheap crystal press from ebay. About $17 and i was able to press it down flush with a gental press.

Tommastie

Known Member
Certified
18/8/18
Just a heads up i bought the cheap crystal press from ebay. About $17 and i was able to press it down flush with a gental press.

That’s great. Mine was seated flush on one side so tried to press it and it wouldn’t go any farther.

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
That’s great. Mine was seated flush on one side so tried to press it and it wouldn’t go any farther.

Mine was the same. I had to take some floss and clean under the bezel. Some dirt was stopping it from sitting flush. The crystal press made it easy to fix. I just lifted the bezel on the side that was flush about .5mm and gave it a gentle press. Now its all flush and even.