• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Full Modding and Service Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 (Sa4130) For Patnaboy

Harleysta91

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
7/9/16
Vercelli (VC) Italy
Good Morning everyone friends!
Today we see a Mod project of a beautiful 116520 animated by the Sa4130
This watch is a complete project for a Canadian user known as Patnaboy.
He wants to have a Daytona Moddato with the original dial and spheres and of course a complete overhaul of the mechanics and polishing of the case to have one of the best examples of 116520 possible.
In this case I bought a new Noob 116520, arrived I immediately removed the case for a complete polishing and for the brightness of the crown and keys, always with the change for "softness", I was struck that the clock he arrived again with a bad defect ... in the drilling of the case for the application of the crown tube or the columns for the keys, small pieces of steel were to be detached that were for all the mechanics, not to mention that the inverters had distributed on the mechanization of the automaton of the black powder ... not the usual metal filings, the one that I almost always find in that place ... but the black powder almost seems like graphite powder ... but I can not confirm it, anyway. revised mechanics and softened chrono, regulated in 3 steps for settling. Today it registers 312 ° of amplitude and + 3 / + 5 SD ... I hope it stays like that also at the scheduled departure for Monday 26/11
The Polishing also included the finishing of each corner of the case including the space between the lugs and the leading edge of the SEL ... which I must say are excellent in this watch ... they are not too tight in the sense that they make sense forcing in assembly and locking, but they are not even rich in games with lots of "cracks" so we can be satisfied.
The dial and hands are original Rolex and are used, come from Germany and have not undergone special treatments before assembly ... only the hands have been clean because full of halos, the dial has been cleaned by fingerprints and filth but nothing more
the crystal is an aftermarket the gasket instead is gen and known that requires more pressure to be mounted correctly and the ring nut later turns out to be harder to remove:
here is the job:

I hope the photos are in order ... :-D

andyaudi42

11/11/07
Crazy good. Hope I'm outta this message at home soon and back to saving some $$$. I think next project will be a Daytona :)

Amazing work

Reactions: Harleysta91

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Masterpiece Harley! I was wondering about the bezels on these models. How can they be polished without losing the black numerals?

FelixDPeng

Horology Curious
28/10/18
It's a prefect job!and the movement parts can change gen 4130 parts?

Kaloc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/18
Great job, have you done something about the case profile?

Harleysta91

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
7/9/16
Vercelli (VC) Italy
Masterpiece Harley! I was wondering about the bezels on these models. How can they be polished without losing the black numerals?
It depends, if you shred it sparingly without exceeding the corrective polishing, do not cancel, if you force too much heating the surface is detached ... just work slowly and in sectors ... never in the same place for too long.
The polishing technique is difficult to explain.
:-D

Reactions: KJ2020

Harleysta91

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
7/9/16
Vercelli (VC) Italy
Great job, have you done something about the case profile?
I hear everyone talking about the profile of the box, I never correct it because the correction could compromise the success of the work. in the sense that we can make the watch infinitely more pleasant ... but we compromise the symmetry and impermeability ... I find them more important factors.

Reactions: KJ2020

Harleysta91

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
7/9/16
Vercelli (VC) Italy
It's a prefect job!and the movement parts can change gen 4130 parts?

too kind indeed.
no I did not replace the components of the 4130 with the original equivalents, but I completely revised the mechanics ... that is an imported intervention is very recommended, given the lack of reliability of these mechanics so "out the factory" after the revision become reliable and precise.
Even if I have carefully analyzed the SA4130, it can also house 90/95% of the gen parts.
At the moment it is the best rep mechanic I have ever worked on.
I am a professional watchmaker and I know both the Rolex 4130 and the Sa4130 well ... and I have to say that it is really a well done mechanic.

Reactions: d39918

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It depends, if you shred it sparingly without exceeding the corrective polishing, do not cancel, if you force too much heating the surface is detached ... just work slowly and in sectors ... never in the same place for too long.
The polishing technique is difficult to explain.
:-D

Thank you for the explanation, I understand what you're saying!

Harleysta91

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
7/9/16
Vercelli (VC) Italy
Thank you very much to everyone for the appreciation, you are all very kind and I appreciate the questions you ask me because I know that you are all people attentive to details and workmanship! thanks again to everyone!

Reactions: markfisher

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
The dial and hands are from an early model 116520 - green lume, two-ticks dial and thin hands. Did you remove the ROLEXROLEXROLEX on the rehaut to make it work better with older style dial and hands?

Harleysta91

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
7/9/16
Vercelli (VC) Italy
The dial and hands are from an early model 116520 - green lume, two-ticks dial and thin hands. Did you remove the ROLEXROLEXROLEX on the rehaut to make it work better with older style dial and hands?

not found necessary because there is also the version with the branded renaut, and the green lumen ... they did it for 6/8 months ... then the chromalight complement came out to basel.