• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing the ceramic insert on a 11610 Arf submariner - help

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
HI guys,
i ordered a ceramic insert for my Arf Submariner 116610 but when i removed the bezel i discovered that the insert is one piece with the bezel, or at least is what i think so maybe i've to order another piece and not this one....is it right?

plus i can't reattach the old bezel, can someone explain me how to do?i can't feel the clack of the bezel when attached and it doesn.'t stay in place

there's a little spring on the right of the watch as you can see in the pictures...

https://picr.me/image/PsIXQ
https://picr.me/image/PsyIA
https://picr.me/image/PsCxf

https://picr.me/image/PsTzL

Last edited:

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
Wow thank you for the help guys you were wonderful! i think the problem was the friction ring! i'll try asap and let you know.
No the insert was from another arf, and it has a significative better pearl on the top

Jonj480

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
3/11/14
Hey man,
In order to remove the insert from the bezel.. you need to very carefully slide a razor blade under the bezel and gently work it around in between the bezel ring and the insert. Ceramic inserts are held in place by adhesive. On reps is it usually a 3M double stick tape. You will need another piece or some gorilla glue to put the new one in. It is important that you get some Acetone and remove all of the old adhesive so the new one lays nice and flat. Install the bezel ring first, before you try and put the insert in. If you put the insert in first, you are just begging to crack it when you press the bezel back on. It is much more difficult to line up as well. Make sure you don’t crimp or stretch that delryn gasket, that needs to fit into the groove in the retaining ring once installed. If you crimp it or are not even when you put the bezel back on, your bezel wont sit flat or seat correctly. Put the insert on last with a new pice of double stick tape or crazy glue so you can line up the pearl. If you use crazy glue... put it in a little cup first and paint some on with a toothpick or something similar so you dont put too much. You only need like 4-5 small dots. Don’t let it get too heavy or you will have to clean it off your insert, or possibly glue the bezel to the case.

Good luck man

lukedh45622

Known Member
12/9/15
Hey man,
In order to remove the insert from the bezel.. you need to very carefully slide a razor blade under the bezel and gently work it around in between the bezel ring and the insert. Ceramic inserts are held in place by adhesive. On reps is it usually a 3M double stick tape. You will need another piece or some gorilla glue to put the new one in. It is important that you get some Acetone and remove all of the old adhesive so the new one lays nice and flat. Install the bezel ring first, before you try and put the insert in. If you put the insert in first, you are just begging to crack it when you press the bezel back on. It is much more difficult to line up as well. Make sure you don’t crimp or stretch that delryn gasket, that needs to fit into the groove in the retaining ring once installed. If you crimp it or are not even when you put the bezel back on, your bezel wont sit flat or seat correctly. Put the insert on last with a new pice of double stick tape or crazy glue so you can line up the pearl. If you use crazy glue... put it in a little cup first and paint some on with a toothpick or something similar so you dont put too much. You only need like 4-5 small dots. Don’t let it get too heavy or you will have to clean it off your insert, or possibly glue the bezel to the case.

Good luck man

arf inserts are not held in by adhesive

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Hey man,

Good luck man

Nice write-up.

Reactions: KJ2020

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
Can anybody confirm if ARF is a friction fit or is it secured with double sided tape as per NOOB / VRF etc.?

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
If adhesive is present can it be introduced to heat to try and remove without removing complete bezel assembly? I am trying to remove one from my dssd. Thanks

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
There's a thread somewhere recommending a hairdryer and a razor blade to remove an insert - not sure if that would work on an ARF, but it worked on my VRF.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If adhesive is present can it be introduced to heat to try and remove without removing complete bezel assembly? I am trying to remove one from my dssd. Thanks

It can but the movement should really be removed first. That kind of heat is not good for it, it will cook and congeal any lubricants that might be left. It would be especially detrimental if the movement had been recently serviced, or had a decent amount of oils remaining.

Spiral_Cabbage

12/2/18
Conus

I just read somewhere about someone using a plastic collar stay (the little plastic things that keep dress shirt collars straight) to insert in between the insert and the collar and slide around to unlodge from the tape or glue.
I have not tried that nor do I think that there is enough space to do so.

I take the bezel off and use an xacto knife to slide between the insert and bezel. Slow and easy is the trick. I do not use heat. Has worked every time, unless super glue has been used. If so, 99.9% the insert will break.

YMMV

Last edited: