• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dimensions of gen Rolex GMT bezel?

Fabulously

Supporter
Certified
13/11/17
Lalaland
Hi all,

I am currently working on a small project that involves a GMT, a genuine bezel ring and a ceramic inlay.

To date I only know the dimensions of the ceramic bezel. Does anybody know the exact measurements of a gen GMT (16710) bezel ring? Would be super helpful to drive this forward...

Thank you so much for your support in advance.

Best,
fm

Last edited by a moderator:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi all,

I am currently working on a small project that involves a GMT, a genuine bezel ring and a ceramic inlay.

To date I only know the dimensions of the ceramic bezel. Does anybody know the exact measurements of a gen GMT (16710) bezel ring? Would be super helpful to drive this forward...

23r2yra.png

Thank you so much for your support in advance.

Best,
fm

Hey bro, I have a gen 16710 - to get you the measurements you are asking for I would have to detach the insert. I can do that but I want to make sure this is the bezel you want measurements for. Reason I'm asking is the 5-digit models did not come with ceramic inserts, but aluminum, and the two types of inserts are not the same size. Just want to make sure you're not trying to do something you can't do before I go to the trouble. BTW I have tried shaving down a ceramic insert by 0.4mm without success. I'm one of those people who try unconventional things.

Ceramic insert: 30.8mm inner 38.0mm outer
Aluminum insert: 30.6mm inner 37.6mm outer

Edit: I can tell you with certainty that a stock ceramic insert will not fit in a 5-digit bezel. Also, aftermarket ceramic inserts are usually much thinner than what the rep factories provide, which is very close to gen thickness.

15293555858034.jpg

Last edited:

Fabulously

Supporter
Certified
13/11/17
Lalaland
Hi KJ,

Thanks for the quick reply! We are indeed talking about the 5 digit serial version that I would love to mod with a ceramic inlay. I came across this ebay listing and it states that it will fir the 16710.

Many thanks for the ceramic bezel shot! This really looks like the dimensions are 1:2. Crazy! How can you make an aftermarket bezel fir in the original or rep bezel ring when it is so thin?

Best,
fm

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi KJ,

Thanks for the quick reply! We are indeed talking about the 5 digit serial version that I would love to mod with a ceramic inlay. I came across this ebay listing and it states that it will fir the 16710.

Many thanks for the ceramic bezel shot! This really looks like the dimensions are 1:2. Crazy! How can you make an aftermarket bezel fir in the original or rep bezel ring when it is so thin?

Best,
fm

You cannot take sellers' statements about which models their parts fit as accurate info. I am an insert addict and have bought about 30 inserts in the past 6 months. About 20 of them have gone back to sellers due to flaws, inferior quality, or misinformation regarding size or fit. Same applies to other parts like dials, hands, crystal's etc. For example sellers rarely know the tiny differences between the hand hole sizes for DG2813 movements vs ETA 2836 and will happily sell you whatever you order.

I guarantee you no stock ceramic insert will fit in a 5-digit bezel ring, they are made for 6-digit models. A seller stating otherwise does not know what they are talking about and I have pointed that out to every one I've bought from. I even leave negative reviews regarding it, but most often they just relist the item with no reviews.

Regarding the thickness issue, you must get creative with glue, double sided tape, or washers. You CAN build up the height sufficiently, just more hoops to jump through.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Regarding the link you sent, $48 is way too much for that one. There are some inserts worth more for special quality reasons, for example accurate blue color on a Batman insert. But if you want to buy a black GMT ceramic insert, this is a much better buy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Be...563003?varId=521521016601&txnId=2158176573012

Also, you should know that aftermarket inserts almost always have WHITE marker paint, not silver. And many of them have markers that are too skinny compared to gen, like the one you posted. You can do a paint mod to make them silver, but you're stuck with skinny if you buy it.

I did get one ceramic insert with silver markers (Surprise!) and used it in this fantasy combo, one of a growing number I have created. It came from the seller I linked above, although his black insert has white markers.

xXqnr.jpg

Fabulously

Supporter
Certified
13/11/17
Lalaland
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed answer - makes total sense to me. The item you listed was also on my watch list, but it seemed "too cheap" when comparing prices. The source states an outside diameter of 38mm which is definitely too wide for the 16710 bezel ring.

I assume this means that I am back to the aluminium bezels. Do you happen to have a high quality source for a solid aftermarket bezel at hand?

BTW: I like your fantasy combo - maybe you should go to Geneva as new manager of design ;)

Back to my initial question: did anybody have a chance to use a caliper and measure the dimensions of a gen bezel ring?