• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Living with Pelagos Rep. Thoughts solicited!

Hawthorne33

Horology Curious
12/11/18
Hey fellas, my 2 liner ZF Pelagos rep has been a very cool, very tasteful rep.

A few things have bugged me and keep me wearing other watches. Maybe if I could resolve these, I'd be all in.

First, the titanium bracelet is sharp when it slides up and down my wrist. Is there a decent way to kill the edges? Dremel might leave it rough... Is there a better bracelet out since the 2 liner reps?

Second, and also strap related... is there a decent rubber rep strap? Mine tore pretty quickly and was definitely silicone. I don't break things often, so ripping things is more the quality than me...

Last, the crystal picks up grime like no other. Would I be better off getting a new crystal? Is there a hack?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Hey fellas, my 2 liner ZF Pelagos rep has been a very cool, very tasteful rep.
A few things have bugged me and keep me wearing other watches. Maybe if I could resolve these, I'd be all in.
First, the titanium bracelet is sharp when it slides up and down my wrist. Is there a decent way to kill the edges? Dremel might leave it rough... Is there a better bracelet out since the 2 liner reps?
Second, and also strap related... is there a decent rubber rep strap? Mine tore pretty quickly and was definitely silicone. I don't break things often, so ripping things is more the quality than me...
Last, the crystal picks up grime like no other. Would I be better off getting a new crystal? Is there a hack?
I've had a two liner rep, a 5 liner rep and a gen two liner, so I'm quite familiar with them. The pelagos rep is extremely close to genuine in construction and finish, at least both of mine were. Regarding your specific concerns, you can try smoothing the sharp edges with a nail file. in my opinion, the build quality was only slightly better with the 5 liner. The issue i had was my first was a v6f and second was zf. The line fill on the v6f was horrible on the bezel, the zf was far superior.

As far as the Crystal picking up grime, can you elaborate? It's design puts the crystal more front and center then other watches, leading it to more redialy attract finger prints and other such dirty spots. My genuine has the same issue. I don't forsee adding a 2AR crystal improving this and it would take it further from gen.

IMG_20180902_0954133effa34ebd7c4d01.jpg

Cameronh212

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/12/17
What factory made your 2 liner can you remember, looking into purchasing one ?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
To kill sharp bracelet edges use a dremel with following rubber polishing tools. The green one leaves a high glossy surface and is very very fine. The red one is a bit more rough but also suitable. It leaves a more satin surface.

Here the tools:

a1e200ece689675854a08717dd6d3cd8.jpg

Look at my bracelet edges. Deburred with the green one:

cdf25f093a796ca542b4ab3207ae2397.jpg

518cf165cf0cb8f9449e97801f224e5d.jpg

Considering the grime on the crystal. Mine V6F seemed to have an outer clear AR coating which worked extremely well. But after some days of wearing it showed more and more micro scratches. And it worked like a smudge magnet. So I polished the coating away with #3000 diamond paste and a felt wheel. Since then no more smudge magnetizing and still very clear. Gen looking IMOP.

The bezel lume infill was too much on mine. I scratched the exzessive lume away with a razor blade and carefully cleaned it with a cloth and a tiny amount of isopropyl alcohol. But be aware too much isopropyl solves the lume!

b7e33c171a2290eae948cfa4cd1bdf48.jpg

And for the rubber strap: You can try to get 2 gen Breitling pro-2 rubber pieces or Oceanracer-2 pieces and use them with the delivered Tudor rep pin buckle. Very high quality and no visible branding.

Greets Andi