• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

THE STUVETJEE & DC PROJECT

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
REPPING THE SULTANS ROLEX

69134188-98-ED-4148-829-F-D132819-E31-E3.jpg

Think of a watch that you love but which has never been repped... now imagine you could get a one off rep made, how cool would that be?!

Well that’s exactly what Michael (aka Stuvetjee) and myself (Dave, aka DC) have been busy doing over the last seven months, and now we’re ready to share our journey with you all in what will probably be a fairly lengthy post. So strap in, get comfy, and enjoy!!!

INTRO

C916637-F-F808-4451-84-AE-176-C7-A825044.jpg

The history of collaborative watch projects on rep forums isn’t exactly a successful one, anyone who’s been around long enough to witness the RWG watches (various) will know it’s almost always a recipe for disaster (not to mention financial loss and “banned” status).

Thankfully this isn’t one of those “subscribe to follow our progress and see how we get on” kinda threads. As we really didn’t plan to do this and didn’t know what would be possible we kept it all under wraps until it was done, so if you just want to see the finished product then scroll away to the bottom of this post and it’s right there.. but you’ll be missing out!

Also this is technically a modding project, albeit we worked hand in hand with a factory from design stage right through production, we basically made parts for an existing rep to make a version that wasn’t already available and didn’t have aftermarket parts available. But we both wanted one so badly we just decided to make it happen!

THE WATCH

55-F4-C439-64-DF-4-E39-823-A-56-F6942-B7-A93.jpg

This is a story about a watch, of course. But I’m acutely aware that the watch in question is going to divide opinion (especially if you’re reading this on RWG were everyone hates anything remotely blingy). But like life itself, it isn’t the destination that matters, it’s the journey which took you there. So even if you aren’t into diamond encrusted Rolexes from the 1980’s you should still read on, you might just find it interesting!

C2-FD6570-D318-42-F0-A40-B-DB77606-A1-E3-E.jpg

Still, a little history lesson is always fun. So in the 1980’s the Omani Royal Family had a hankering for a sports Rolex. But of course when you’re a Sultan you can’t just sling on any old Rolex. So they commissioned Rolex to make a special version of the 6263 Daytona in solid gold with a pavé diamond dial and a baguette diamond bezel. Oh, and the sub registers in their royal colour, purple... coz, ya know, they’re the Omani Royal Family so why not?

However, Rolex wasn’t keen on one off watches, and to make it worth their while they insisted on producing two batches of four of these super special watches, and so the reference 6270 was born.

There are only eight of these in existence. His majesty owned one, of course, and his had the khanjar and swords engraved on the back (the Oman national emblem).

F1987-E2-B-B216-4198-B619-1-D43-D95-F68-C7.jpg

That particular watch has since been owned by none other than Tom Bolt (London based watch dealer to the rich and famous) as well as well known Rolex collector Alfredo Paramico to name a few. Of the remaining seven watches, which were likely gifted to dignitaries originally, it is only known where four of them are, and only two 6270s have changed hands over the last decade including the Sultans own piece, meaning that all the pictures of this reference you find online are likely to be of one of these two watches.

It’s a super rare Rolex, it’s a super expensive Rolex, it’s a super bananas Rolex... what’s not to like?!

IT STARTED WITH A PHOTO

Ok, it’s not for everyone, but something about it has always grabbed me. I love the vintage Daytona, and in gold it becomes less sporty and more classic, so add diamonds and sapphires into the mix as well as super rarity and you’ve got a real statement piece on your hands.

I was sure that I was the only person out there with love for this watch, especially when Hodinkee posted an article about it and got nothing but hate posts. Until I met Stuvetjee. We’d been chatting for a while and it became apparent to me that Michael and I shared a very similar taste in watches, from Rolex to Patek and Richard Mille. What’s more he, like me, doesn’t care much for the opinions of others.

Amidst quite a bit of Patek and Richard Mille chat I just happened to show Michael this picture of the 6270.

09-E2-A397-A47-A-4-EB0-9602-CEE58-B1-CACC6.jpg

He was instantly as hooked as me. You can’t deny it is pretty! That was back in April, and ever since then we have been obsessing over how to bring this watch to fruition. We started with the idea of just switching out the bezel of a gold 6265 rep for a diamond one, just to get some of the look of the 6270. We initially questioned whether a diamond bezel from a DayDate would retro fit, but the DD is 36mm and the Daytona is 37mm. Then Michael piped up to say “I could ask our jewellery factory”...

Oh yeah, probably should have mentioned, Michael has a jewellery and watch design company with manufacture suppliers. Like Rolex they weren’t keen on one off production, but after some persuading they agreed on this occasion to help us out.

So back to the conversation and cue several edited mock ups of how our creation might look...

2064-AD7-C-1-FED-432-B-8038-78-C3025018-F8.jpg

79-AA494-B-ECB5-453-D-A4-BE-9-BC14-C805547.jpg

It was a start. We had to arrange for a sample of the rep bezel to be sent to the factory to ensure that the new piece would fit the rep perfectly, but should be no issue.

We got a bezel shipped to them and it was at this stage that I realised just how complex and finite this rep game is, when the technical drawings came back showing the tolerances and profiles for our bezel...

All those measurements just for a bezel, never mind case/pushers/caseback/crown etc etc, just a “simple” bezel with some stones set in it. We would later realise that the number of stones was wrong, and once they had adjusted all the measurements the stones we needed had to be cut specially as there weren’t any off the shelf stones of the correct radius and size. This was fast becoming a real bespoke job!

Thickness was an issue too, it needed to be thick enough to house the stones and be strong, but too thick and we would lose the delicate classic look of the gen!

We were super excited and to be fair the overall look would be pretty close to the real deal...

2-D359546-D903-4-BFE-AE6-B-30-E40174-AEF8.jpg

But those bluey purple sub registers and sapphire hour markers kept calling to us!

“HOW HARD WOULD A DIAMOND DIAL BE?”

It was fairly soon after starting work on the bezel that I asked Michael this simple yet deadly question, and we were quickly down the rabbit hole, again persuading the factory to help us out.

But from this point the questions and issues came thick and fast, and it was really the dial process which gave me the greatest appreciation for what actual rep factories do.

I’LL NEVER COMPLAIN AGAIN

When you delve into the murky world of trying to make something look like something it’s not you realise just how hard it really is. Continually having to find a workaround for the fact you don’t have the correct movement. We all bemoan the extra 2mm of thickness on our reps versus the gen as though it couldn’t possibly be that hard to make it the right bloody thickness, but let me tell you it really is! The tolerances are so finite, and when you slap a load of fake diamonds on a dial things start to get thick quick!!

Michael’s man knew his stuff though, and issues like the placement of stones around subdials were quickly sorted.

284-C847-E-FDBE-43-C2-852-B-33-FF180-A2988.jpg

He had technical drawings of the ST19 which has a lower 6 o’clock subdial than a Valjoux 72, and we wanted our dial to be a straight swap for the rep dial that comes with the Cartel Daytona with no modding, so the stones had to be moved around to fit this layout without looking odd.

2411-B7-D9-9-AC5-4275-A893-24150-C824862.jpg

The clearance for the hands was going to be very tight, and it was almost impossible to tell if it would actually work at all until we had the dial made and fitted, but we took as many measurements as we could and basically crossed our fingers.

THE FONT OF ALL KNOWLEDGE

As a designer Michael is a details man, and this manifested itself in some serious attention paid to getting the text font right on the dial. This hadn’t even occured to me (I’m more an overall looks kinda guy). Given the rarity of the gen there are very few high resolution images of the dial available, so Michael and the factory got to work with what little reference images we had, tracing the text to create the correct font.

F118099-B-A45-A-4-E47-83-A7-CC10-B33925-D6.jpg

FD33-DF05-2-A7-E-4-BAA-AD73-3-CE0-F902-EAE0.jpg

3-FD6-A0-E7-D5-F4-49-A6-A0-DD-604-DAE3-C0494.jpg

And here’s the finished plan complete with text and indexes.

FEELING BLUE(ISH)

Layout sorted and with fingers still crossed on the whole thickness issue, the next task was getting the colours right.

11-EF0-D2-C-49-BD-4-FF6-93-F6-66-CC58-E8-F150.jpg

This is another subject of much frustration within the rep world. How hard could it be to colour match a dial? Well for starters unless you actually have a gen at your disposal (which I don’t believe many if any rep factories actually have despite what they may say) then matching is impossible, as we know variation between different cameras, camera settings, photo editing and printing/device used to view will mean you’re not actually seeing the true colour. There’s a huge variance in pictures of the 6270, so we decided to choose a Pantone colour based on our own preference. But the amount of choice is mind boggling!!

3-B203454-848-D-4-CEF-94-CE-7-C9-B5-E02-E780.jpg

From reference material we know the gen was organically some shade of purple, but it’s also evident that some of the examples have aged over time and are more blue. I’m a big fan of purple but didn’t want it to be too in your face (yep we’re making a baguette bezel pavé dial gold Rolex and I’m worried about being in your face... go figure) and Michael also favoured a less flamboyant tone, so we went for a dark deep purpley blue, trying to give a good contrast with the gold and the stones.

6-B3-C8-D13-BCD7-418-B-A272-C8-A8-A891-BDF3.jpg

And with this decision made we needed to pick the sapphire stones to match, again going for the darker deeper sapphire blue.

A0314622-19-DD-45-A7-B035-997-D989-A42-E6.jpg

MEANWHILE IN BEZEL LAND

The first bezel was made with the incorrect number of baguettes because we simply hadn’t thought to double check, but we asked for the incorrect bezel to be shipped to Michael anyway for test fitting while a new one got made. At this stage (and up until about a week ago) I still hadn’t laid my hands on a donor watch as the gold vintage Daytonas are out of stock, so Michael’s watch was the guinea pig!

E6-BE43-EA-2-F92-4-D0-C-BB6-E-1-C9-C32543200.jpg

Unfortunately the tolerances were a little tight on the inner edge of the bezel and it cracked the plexi when it was installed (bad times)

85-B95-EB4-C732-4829-989-C-A8-E60-F876003.jpg

But the fit with the case was good and tight and the bezel itself and stones looked awesome, so we were happy overall, albeit in need of a replacement plexi and some minor tweaks, a worthwhile test fit and our first sense of how our creation might look in the flesh.

C2-B3-B31-C-8008-4-D36-8008-30-C82-E2-D0-F23.jpg

F56-DC010-4897-42-A3-97-E3-71371131-DF47.jpg

WATCHING THE FACTORY WORK THEIR MAGIC

With all decisions made and problems solved (save the hand clearance possibly) it was time to let the factory get on with making our dials and wait for updates. It was fun seeing the various stages come together and the dial slowly come to life.

Dial blanks:

1-F39911-F-7414-4832-8-B46-4599-D898-C5-D4.jpg

Drilled ready for stones and plating (fun game, see if you can spot the one test fitted stone):

2304468-B-4-FCF-4-ADD-AAB5-0-DB071-D69-BBB.jpg

Stones set and dial plated and polished in readiness for subdials to be machine turned and printed:

BAFF2-A0-B-B90-B-4-DD5-A18-F-07-CFD99-C63-B6.jpg

And finally with subdials turned and a lovely Pantone applied:

0-EFE4-A05-E861-469-F-B618-46224-FF18-F3-A.jpg

And that, ladies and gentleman, was the last picture we saw before the dials landed. From the excitement of these final stages it was over a month before we saw the end result, an agonising wait.

UNTIL AT LAST

Oh hello, what’s this?

0-DB52654-5-D7-D-48-C4-9-ACB-436-B7-BC7963-D.jpg

FD9703-C8-06-F7-4362-81-F3-960-C9-B9-A9-E14.jpg

3-C5-F8-A62-D3-BA-4-F06-9818-58-BD103847-F7.jpg

You may not be into Rolex, and you may not be a fan of a diamond dial, but you have to admit the contrast of deep blue on gold is really very nice and the factory really did a superb job considering reps is not their game!

AND THE HAND CLEARANCE?!?

The million dollar question of course was would it fit? Only one way to find out!

1-E329-E37-B78-B-4-E2-F-A00-E-95-CD72-F82-DE4.jpg

The hands are very close, and our watchsmith has subsequently taken the precaution of removing the movement plate that sits behind the dial to increase clearance and eliminate the risk of the hands fouling the dial and causing the watch to jam. But together with the watch and bezel I think the finished watch looks killer.

239-FE4-A8-FAF9-4-FF3-829-D-55-C259-A541-B7.jpg

FCAA66-FA-061-C-4-E63-8263-E52-C49394814.jpg

At time of writing our watches are still with our watchsmith for final assembly, but once we get them back I’m sure there will be more glamour shots to follow. Michael did manage to get this one while test fitting his dial...

DC66-BA1-E-D777-45-E2-A45-A-093-B060-D6879.jpg

In the meantime I hope you’ve found the read interesting, and gained some more appreciation of the lengths that rep factories go to in order to create the reps we all love!

FINAL THOUGHT

There’s eight gen Rolex 6270s out there... but there are only two 6270 reps... this fact pleases me greatly!!

DC & Stuvetjee

Stuvetjee

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Still get shivers with this project together with Dave. We were such a good team together with our factory :)

Also very very lucky they made just two pieces. Even with Rolex trademarks as a legit factory :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Olavmol

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/8/11
Amsterdam
Great read and one heck of a project.
It’s now my style but the amount of time and effort you, and all parties, have put in to it is second to none.
Really looking forward to seeing live, daylight pictures of your project.
Wear them in great health (and wealth ????)!

Reactions: Stuvetjee

Olavmol

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/8/11
Amsterdam
PS the testfitted Stone is near the 3 o’clock subdial at around the 10 minute mark

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Incredible, Wow! What a great write up on a great project. Always enjoy seeing someone committing to an idea and seeing it through to completion.

Congratulations to you both and thanks for sharing.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Really cool write up -- not my cup of tea as far as the watch goes, but I can certainly appreciate the time, effort and maddeningly frustrating process to bring this to life. Like you said, its about the journey oftentimes in this hobby and this was one helluva trip. And I will concur that the gold/purplish-blue color combo is in fact killer. Well done gents!!

30/11/17
EU
Holy crap that's a serious project. Makes me happy to see you even traced the font! Hats off to you, I wish rep factories cars as much as you do!! Looking forward to seeing more of this sparkly beauty.:clap_1:

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Cheers for the kind words and enthusiasm guys! We can’t wait to get these back and start rocking them, just wait until you see the strap I’ve got for mine :p

DC

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Whoa guys, kudos for this incredible project!

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Only thing that actually still needed to be done is finding the correct midlink polished bracelet instead of the current one.

If anyone has tips where to get them? We already tried riyi, raffles, yuki

Reactions: stufuse

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
what a seriously interesting read. Thanks guys, made me appreciate the difficulty faced by the rep factorys. Good end result with yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ap@12

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/12/12
very cool guys
dont know if i could wear that watch,but all the time and effort you put in it in one word AMAZING
the blue /purple collor with the gold tone looks very good
deep respect for the both off you:notworthy:

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
very cool guys
dont know if i could wear that watch,but all the time and effort you put in it in one word AMAZING
the blue /purple collor with the gold tone looks very good
deep respect for the both off you:notworthy:

Thanks alot brother!