• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Datejust 36 - DJF vs ARF?

waltswagon

Horology Curious
8/1/19
Tacotuesday

I appreciate the help! One of my friends is a watchsmith and said he will be helping with the servicing/DW swap which reduces the cost significantly.

I've heard about the reversing wheel issue but thought it is no longer as relevant with the Sh3135 v2, and the DW was basically a drop in? According to Angus they seem to be much more reliable (although that is to be seen).

Again any input would be greatly appreciated, I think I am leaning to the arf since the finishings are better

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
It is mate, I'm sure of it. It looks like shit 6 months later so I'm pretty sure it's got a few microns on there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only been out for a month How do you know how it will be after 6 months

Reactions: lpl

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
It's only been out for a month How do you know how it will be after 6 months

Sorry thought you were talking about the v1.

Everyone talking about rhodium plating here is thinking like a jeweller. IE plating the steel with 24k gold, then palladium or something similar, then a third layer of pure rhodium, for 12-18 months. That is how we would all do it, expect it, and want it. If I send a bezel to Tomrep for example, and we talk about this, we discuss how we are going to get the gold as white as possible, percentages of palladium etc.

However we are not a Chinese factory looking to maximise profits. With sterling silver, to rhodium plate it first requires nickel plating. The metal must be clean (first fail - never going to happen in China!) and more importantly, the the temperature, density and voltage have to be regulated and the rhodium plating must be done immediately after the nickel plating otherwise you run the risk of oxidisation and quick wear.

I've seen 3 ARF bezels on here, including my own, and the other fora that display these symptoms.

Put simply, it's lipstick on a pig.

When I got my ARF I was raving about the bezel. It looked mint. Don't be fooled.

Last edited:

Luxuracer

Renowned Member
There is NO proof that ARF, DJF, or any rep factory use rhodium plating on their bezel. There was NO test done on them.
IT'S JUST A RUMOR.
Chinese rep factories would not go through the expend to rhodium plate. The only fact is that ARF finishing and polishing are better than most.

Reactions: ssouthall6

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Sorry thought you were talking about the v1.

Everyone talking about rhodium plating here is thinking like a jeweller. IE plating the steel with 24k gold, then palladium or something similar, then a third layer of pure rhodium, for 12-18 months. That is how we would all do it, expect it, and want it. If I send a bezel to Tomrep for example, and we talk about this, we discuss how we are going to get the gold as white as possible, percentages of palladium etc.

However we are not a Chinese factory looking to maximise profits. With sterling silver, to rhodium plate it first requires nickel plating. The metal must be clean (first fail - never going to happen in China!) and more importantly, the the temperature, density and voltage have to be regulated and the rhodium plating must be done immediately after the nickel plating otherwise you run the risk of oxidisation and quick wear.

I've seen 3 ARF bezels on here, including my own, and the other fora that display these symptoms.

Put simply, it's lipstick on a pig.

When I got my ARF I was raving about the bezel. It looked mint. Don't be fooled.

Great explanations bro. They should just leave it SS and run it though the buffer a few mins longer.

Reactions: ssouthall6

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Hey guys, I understand that ootb the DJF is probably better than the ARF. If I was to compare just an ARF with a WSO DW swap and the DJF, which would you say would be better? I do not intend to undertake any further mods.

Aesthetically I can't seem to spot any visual differences apart from the fat font on the ARF too. Any input?

PS w2c the silver dial DJ 36

The ARF is a more refined finished watch in the little details, dispite the fat font DW and potential service I’d pick the ARF every time. The DJF looks and feels cheaper (to me anyway, I’ve had both)

Reactions: KJ2020

jonsydney

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/3/09
Hi all - are all ARF and DJF 36mm versions correctly engraved between the lugs? Doing some research as I embark on a light franken build for the missus and want to confirm that these cases will play nice aesthetically when wearing leather/fabric straps.

Any photos would be helpful.

cheers
J

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
This is my ARF btw

932ad9b7da103a0094db34f0459f7ae1.jpg

Gen dial, crystal, dw, crown, tube, stem, some movement parts, rehaut engraving removed, repolished and brushed

The only way to do it. Well done, sir.

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
This is my ARF btw

932ad9b7da103a0094db34f0459f7ae1.jpg

Gen dial, crystal, dw, crown, tube, stem, some movement parts, rehaut engraving removed, repolished and brushed

Looks great man