• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Datejust 36 - DJF vs ARF?

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
I would be interested to hear the outcome too as I am after a blue DJ oj jubilee and basically keen to go for whatever looks best OOTB (maybe a datewheel change)

If you’re going to do a DW change get the ARF. You can source a Gen Roulette or black and white here, many members have them. There is no ETA overlay that’s good unless its a TC, very hard to come by. The date font on the DJF is actually pretty good, a member in this thread reported different alignments on different dates, must have been a badly printed DW. The ones we’ve handled have been consistent throughout the dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
If you’re going to do a DW change get the ARF. You can source a Gen Roulette or black and white here, many members have them. There is no ETA overlay that’s good unless its a TC, very hard to come by. The date font on the DJF is actually pretty good, a member in this thread reported different alignments on different dates, must have been a badly printed DW. The ones we’ve handled have been consistent throughout the dates.

Guess I got unlucky, both with the bracelet and with the date font.

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
The only trouble with the 3135 movement is it’s a little mor unpredictable than a 2824. I had one serviced and it still failed working 6 months. Also I’ve had Gen parts fitted and the watch smith/modder said the parts didn’t fit properly but did in another 3135.

Adrenix

5/12/18
Thanks KS. I think DJF is fine for my needs in that case? I'd like a reliable movement as well. Very interesting input KS, thank you!

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Thanks KS. I think DJF is fine for my needs in that case? I'd like a reliable movement as well. Very interesting input KS, thank you!

May I add, any rep watch movement can be unpredictable, the 2824 is just cheaper to fix If the worst happens.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
May I add, any rep watch movement can be unpredictable, the 2824 is just cheaper to fix If the worst happens.

True. Honestly all of my A2824's have had some sort of issue. Still functional but they'll have issues like not clicking in properly when pressing the crown, hard pulls when trying to set the time, super grindy winding, and just bad time keeping.

I've heard that the Seagull chinese 2824 clones are almost on par with ETA especially when serviced. Those ones are only $70 ish and could be a decent upgrade to the clones put in these reps.

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
True. Honestly all of my A2824's have had some sort of issue. Still functional but they'll have issues like not clicking in properly when pressing the crown, hard pulls when trying to set the time, super grindy winding, and just bad time keeping.

I've heard that the Seagull chinese 2824 clones are almost on par with ETA especially when serviced. Those ones are only $70 ish and could be a decent upgrade to the clones put in these reps.

That’s a nice idea, have to look into that. I’ve had some of the same issues but winding had always been ok. luckily no failures so far.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU

Same here. All my 2824/2836 have been grindy (no oil I guess). One kept COSC time, others lost 30-50 sec/day..

For the crown pulling issue I've had that as well, but actually what usually helps here is to rotate a crown a little bit back (reverse direction of winding) before pulling it out. That usually fixes it. Same issue on gen Rolex as well.

Had two 9015. One loses 50sec a day but has an incredibly strong 45 hour powerreserve, been almost a daily for a year without any issues what so ever besides the 50sec/day which isn't an issue for me.. The other I haven't measured yet, but seems to keep within 10sec/day. Winds a bit rougher.

I guess we can just conclude that regardless of which movement we choose, any rep watch you buy 'should' receive a service sooner or later. I'd however still pick ETA clones over SA/SH because servicing is so much easier and a lot cheaper than the rolex clones. You can't get parts for SH/SA and if you really want to fix issues you need gen parts that cost more than an entire new ETA movement.

Ideally buy a 28xx clone rep, buy a gen ETA, swap it in and you'll basically have a rep that lasts forever without a service needed the next 6+ years.

Reactions: ElisAComing

Stradivarius

Known Member
12/11/17
Same here. All my 2824/2836 have been grindy (no oil I guess). One kept COSC time, others lost 30-50 sec/day..

For the crown pulling issue I've had that as well, but actually what usually helps here is to rotate a crown a little bit back (reverse direction of winding) before pulling it out. That usually fixes it. Same issue on gen Rolex as well.

Had two 9015. One loses 50sec a day but has an incredibly strong 45 hour powerreserve, been almost a daily for a year without any issues what so ever besides the 50sec/day which isn't an issue for me.. The other I haven't measured yet, but seems to keep within 10sec/day. Winds a bit rougher.

I guess we can just conclude that regardless of which movement we choose, any rep watch you buy 'should' receive a service sooner or later. I'd however still pick ETA clones over SA/SH because servicing is so much easier and a lot cheaper than the rolex clones. You can't get parts for SH/SA and if you really want to fix issues you need gen parts that cost more than an entire new ETA movement.

Ideally buy a 28xx clone rep, buy a gen ETA, swap it in and you'll basically have a rep that lasts forever without a service needed the next 6+ years.

Good advice! I think about just service my SH3135, let it run for how long it could be and when it die, I will swap in a ETA movement!
Do you know which ETA movement suits the Datejust 36mm?
Thanks

nonox

30/3/12
Probably a 2836 or a 2824 with h4 pignon but if someone else can confirm.

golfo90

25/5/17
The New ARF two tones are good. My mates wife was very happy and they’ve both only ever owned Gens.

f220c78152f45d481a70cc103fc74b34.jpg
8d37e81e1d26935b0939dca435b43306.jpg
469223739a1b79549631bd33abbe85e8.jpg

Great! Thanks for sharing. Could you do a pic comparing gen and rep?
thanks!!

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Good advice! I think about just service my SH3135, let it run for how long it could be and when it die, I will swap in a ETA movement!
Do you know which ETA movement suits the Datejust 36mm?
Thanks

That swap won't be so easy. You need a decent watchmaker to create a custom movement holder that will hopefully put the movement in a place that the stem will fit into.

Also he would have to mod the dial and hands to fit in the new movement, and you will need a new stem, crown and tube. By the time it's done that's a lot of money.

Stradivarius

Known Member
12/11/17
That swap won't be so easy. You need a decent watchmaker to create a custom movement holder that will hopefully put the movement in a place that the stem will fit into.

Also he would have to mod the dial and hands to fit in the new movement, and you will need a new stem, crown and tube. By the time it's done that's a lot of money.

LOL danggggg think I will have to stick with my SH3135 XD XD

Last edited:

Stradivarius

Known Member
12/11/17
Received my ARF 36mm today! I just have a question, on trustytime they say there is LEC on xtal. I tried so hard to find it but no chance LOL is there???

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Received my ARF 36mm today! I just have a question, on trustytime they say there is LEC on xtal. I tried so hard to find it but no chance LOL is there???

That's a good thing actually. Gen LEC is hardly visible as well! Do you want to share some pics mate? :)

Reactions: Stradivarius