• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Changes in VRF Submariner

Subzed

24/4/18
I had sent Ryan a message asking if he could source the VRF MAX and never heard back. I am hoping that the VRF "Best Edition" is in fact the MAX.... Awaiting QC photos now. I am grateful for the initial poster who showed the differences between the "old" VRF and the newer one, just in case I get sent photos of the older one for QC :eek:

I'll be very interested to see the differences in the two when I have them both in hand... It will be a great way to see if I can really tell much of a difference in the insert color, the weight, the steel, etc....

FYI - If you sent Ryan a PM it may be a long wait. He gets a ton of emails and I believe that takes up a lot of his time. So best to email him in the future if you didn’t originally.

On the VRF vs. ARF please be sure to let us know what you think and throw in some photos as well. You can never have enough comparisons when talking about such similar watches. Each has their own merits so there’s no wrong decision.

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
FYI - If you sent Ryan a PM it may be a long wait. He gets a ton of emails and I believe that takes up a lot of his time. So best to email him in the future if you didn’t originally.

On the VRF vs. ARF please be sure to let us know what you think and throw in some photos as well. You can never have enough comparisons when talking about such similar watches. Each has their own merits so there’s no wrong decision.

Fortunately, Ryan emailed me today and pointed me to the same one I had just ordered - the "Best Edition" VRF as the "VRF MAX". So I guess he just doesn't have it listed on his website as the "MAX" but it's the same watch... I did reply and asked if he could source me a "newer" one with the updated dial as Subzed mentioned in the OP (thanks very much for the info, BTW!!) and send QC photos when available.

I was really pleased with what I felt was a pretty quick response time from him (about 3 days) considering how busy he must be!

Last edited:

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Was just doing some research on previous posts and noticed that DrJohnWatsonJr recently sold a watch with this description:
"This is the newest VRF MAX Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk w/a genuine Rolex crystal w/LEC. This watch features the best green bezel insert color to gen right now and is the perfect watch for anyone looking for perfection. Wearing at 40.5mm, this watch has a deep and double line engraved rehaut, superlumed dial and hands in blue,and a corrected dial without the stupid long “f t” error."

But - the OPs photos show the newer dial WITH the log f and slanted "+" sign.

So now I am totally confused - which dial is the one I should look for when I receive the QC photos?

Subzed

24/4/18
Yeah there’s so called “correct” dials for the period the watch represents. This is apparently coupled to other things about the watch like clasp polished or flat, case shape, etc. All too advanced for me to figure out. Plus you’re really a slave to what the factories are putting out unless you plan on modding.
Just buy what makes you happy.
Theres a sticky that talks about dials but I’m still not sure what’s right.
Maybe someone else can chime in if your looking for the most “correct” version.
I don’t know how to tag members so they see the post but “Smoke” is very knowledgeable about all things Sub.
Good luck

Reactions: Jtchez

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
So I got my QC photos today for the VRF MAX Hulk from Ryan at Intime, and now am confused by the dial. Is this the correct VRF MAX dial or not? It does not have the "long f t" or the misaligned "=" sign...

2mU5d.jpg

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I had the same, I got my watch 3 weeks ago. I thought it was the old version, but it’s just an updates MAX

I'm confused - when you say updated, did you mean you get the watch with the long " f t " etc. or not?

Exklusive

I'm Pretty Popular
28/6/15
So I got my QC photos today for the VRF MAX Hulk from Ryan at Intime, and now am confused by the dial. Is this the correct VRF MAX dial or not? It does not have the "long f t" or the misaligned "=" sign...

2mU5d.jpg

I suspect it might be old batch cos the SELs looks kinda flushed too. I have been waiting for my QC since last week and my TD confirmed today that VRF hulk is still out of stocks. Am surprised Intime managed to get it for you.

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I suspect it might be old batch cos the SELs looks kinda flushed too. I have been waiting for my QC since last week and my TD confirmed today that VRF hulk is still out of stocks. Am surprised Intime managed to get it for you.

Also, the font for "Submariner" and "Oyster Perpetual Date" looks the the older version... anyone agree or disagree?

Subzed

24/4/18
That looks like the previous version. The SELs look to be more flush and the ft marker and = symbol indicate that as well.
I’m not able to tell if the font is different or not. When I compare the two it looks very similar to me.
That being said it’s still a beautiful watch but if it’s not what you want then explain to the TD what you are looking for.
I’m sure the factory will want to sell out of the earlier version first so I’m not surprised you were offered this one.

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
Vrf make the perfect date wheel. Better than noob and arf. Just needs a professor crystal and your sorted

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
That seems to be the old version. I also ordered the VRF MAX Hulk from Ryan and now waiting for it. But my one is the updated version.
BTW: I was not a problem for Ryan ordering this watch. After 7 days he got it from the factory.

f762f4842497690f3059b7b3cb9fc5a0.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Will examine this tomorrow. Datewheel seems to be completely slightly leftified.

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
Looks great, looks like they have fixed the pearl.

Can't fault it. Previous vrf pearl use to annoy me

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
The first dial in that vrf/bp is best because it's period correct.unlike the second dial

ks123

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
27/3/16
London
Will examine this tomorrow. Datewheel seems to be completely slightly leftified.

i sold mine because of that, i kinda regret it now, should of just a noob dw and got that installed

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
smoke
What does not match with this dial? As I understand this is a MKIII dial from 2016-2017 which should be period correct with a polished inner clasp.
The rehaut engraving on this VRF is double lined and very precisely made. Should this dial only match with the newer matrix style font?

Here‘s a gen example:

2c9fe36446e8147ffaebbd5017941fb3.jpg

VRF:

d7d1dfc783a179aaa85ee6d07f4c5d94.jpg

The only thing which annoys me on this watch is the fact that the finishing on lugs and endlinks is not 100 percent perfect. Will try to improve this in future but at first I will wear the watch a week or so.
Finishing and build quality is really good at this pricepoint but definitely not on par with my ARF SD43.

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
smoke
What does not match with this dial? As I understand this is a MKIII dial from 2016-2017 which should be period correct with a polished inner clasp.
The rehaut engraving on this VRF is double lined and very precisely made. Should this dial only match with the newer matrix style font?

Here‘s a gen example:

2c9fe36446e8147ffaebbd5017941fb3.jpg

VRF:

d7d1dfc783a179aaa85ee6d07f4c5d94.jpg

The only thing which annoys me on this watch is the fact that the finishing on lugs and endlinks is not 100 percent perfect. Will try to improve this in future but at first I will wear the watch a week or so.
Finishing and build quality is really good at this pricepoint but definitely not on par with my ARF SD43.

there is no such thing as mk1 mk2 mk3 etc etc .All dials apart from 1 are still in use on all subs regardless of year​

Reactions: Technit1957