• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of my VRF YM 116621 (Pics, Purchase experience, pros and cons, comparison to gen)

ywg

3/7/17
Hey guys, today I got that special phone call. The courier was in front of my door bringing me my new VRF YM in two tone. I am not as pleased with my purchase as I would have liked to be, but nevertheless I bring you my review. I ordered the watch from Puretime on the 14th of October and received today, on the 2nd of November. Got my QC and found a machining issue with the bezel. Here are the machining marks I circled to show Elena from PT. I rejected the QC and asked for a new watch. Then 4 days later I was told "they are all like that" and that "this" - the machining marks on the bezel, were "not a problem", basically meaning she couldn't get me a new watch. Well, I didn't wanna argue and waste more time and asked if we can proceed with my order. So forward to today, I got my watch and was a little disappointed at the overall quality of VRF's build. This is the album. First thing I noticed were 2 dark grey marks on the bezel, which were NOT there on the QC pics I received and as seen IRL. Second thing I noticed is the visibility of the marks which Elena of Puretime claimed to be "QC taken under bright light that makes bezel look different" and said she didn't see the obvious machining marks. As seen in the album they are quite visible. Not too pleased with that. Now onto the known flaws of the watch.

LIST OF FLAWS
  • "YACHT-MASTER" red text is way too dark. Gen Dial *see in the upper right corner*
  • The brown color of the dial is too "light" and has a red tint, it should be darker. Gen Dial
  • The surrounding part of the bezel should be completely matte, not grainy like on all VRF YM's or made up of visible circular lines as seen on my watch - Gen Bezel
  • Engraved text on the rehaut has a dark "surrounding" and varies in height position throughout mostly being too low on the rehaut.
  • As shown in the album pictures, I have pointed to the last digit "3" of the serial number, which is significantly higher.
  • Datewheel doesn't have tailing of the numbers as shown on PT's sample on their website
  • Laser etched crown is splattered under magnification.
  • The clasp is supposed to contain a glide lock feature as per the gen, while VRF doesn't
  • 12'o clock triangular marker, 6'o clock rectangular marker and 9'o clock marker should be rounder at the edges.
  • Clasp is almost impossible to open up
LIST OF PROS
  • Cyclops magnification is correct size and has a black hole effect to it
  • The Rolex crown logo on the clasp is the best on a rep I've seen - Gen 116621 clasp Gen Daytona clasp vs ARF (same clasp shape as seen on the 116621)
  • Numerals on the bezel are really really well made, and the best try at the 116621 bezel. Tomrep mod for the surrounding part IS necessary however.
  • Rolex crown logo on the crown is perfect, nothing to complain about there
  • Feels relatively heavy, and in reality is 13 grams lighter than the gen, weighed it in at 143 grams, and the gen weighs 156 grams (all links included) - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=581340
  • Good SELs aside from the small gap on the right side of the watch right under the 25 numeral of the bezel (when the triangle is ligned up with the 12 o' clock marker)
That's a wrap

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
Great review and feedback bro. I had quite the opposite experience with the vrf YM. I am sure you recall my brief review in the other thread.

The only one thing I would have changed on mine would be change vrf crystal to prof black hole as it's much needed. Yes black hole is there but it's predominantly when there is absolutely no direct light.

If I recall, you had gen dial to finish this off?

Looks good and agree clasp is very well made. But it doesn't click like arf subs,

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

ywg

3/7/17
Great review and feedback bro. I had quite the opposite experience with the vrf YM. I am sure you recall my brief review in the other thread.

The only one thing I would have changed on mine would be change vrf crystal to prof black hole as it's much needed. Yes black hole is there but it's predominantly when there is absolutely no direct light.

If I recall, you had gen dial to finish this off?

Looks good and agree clasp is very well made. But it doesn't click like arf subs,

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hey man, yeah I recall seeing your review. I think I just got unlucky with the watch I got sent, although I asked for a new watch and was kind of denied basically. The black hole is there at certain angles, although not as prominent as gen, certainly. I am trying to source a gen chocolate dial, that is correct. I am also looking to get my bezel modded in order to get rid of these shitty machining line marks, but it will most likely destroy the gold color, so then I need to get it wrapped and it's a hassle.. Aside from that, the numerals on the bezel are just the best to date, only if VRF could use fine sandblasting to make the area around the numerals matte, that would be indistinguishable from gen. If they changed the dial sunburst a tad and make it darker and get rid of the red tint, and make their "YACHT-MASTER" red text the proper color, improve their rehaut engraving, and clasp mechanism, SUPER REP. Only nice touch to such a good OOTB watch would be a gen crystal.

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I've a buddy that's looking for one of these and he's a noob so wont care too much about finish...let me know if you want to sell and i'll run it past him?? No worries if not!

ywg

3/7/17
I've a buddy that's looking for one of these and he's a noob so wont care too much about finish...let me know if you want to sell and i'll run it past him?? No worries if not!

I was thinking of selling it to buy the new ARF YM. The watch has no scratches, however the gold plating is wearing off a little on the bezel, but it's not always visible. I will post a sales thread soon. Just for reference, I am located in EU.

AJ82

Known Member
19/3/17
Europe

ywg

3/7/17
Do you think the ARF is a more accurat rep? Was originally thinking about the 116622, but love the gold and brown....

https://www.intime03.co/rollie/4413...ition-brown-dial-on-ss-rg-bracelet-a2824.html

A.J.

In some aspects it is, it has much better rehaut engraving than VRF's misaligned poor quality rehaut engraving. Bezel insert is better finished, but the numerals are too round and too low, which makes them look almost flat. VRF's bezel insert is much better aside from the shitty circles texture it has. If you take a 116622 VRF bezel insert (basically the SS bezel insert, the RG plating would completely peel off on the 116621 VRF bezel insert after sand blasting) and get a Tomrep mod. Both dials on the ARF and VRF 116621 are not good at all. Both watches need a gen crystal or at least a Prof blackhole crystal. To get the most accurate watch, get an ARF 116622 because the RG plating on the 116621 peels off very quickly even with minimal wear, get a VRF bezel assembly and send that to Tomrep to sandblast. Maybe try to get a gen dial, and for sure a gen crystal or Prof's.

Reactions: AJ82

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Thanks man. Nice review!!

„Time doesn‘t exist. Clocks exist.“

Angryboai

Known Member
13/8/21
I wonder if VRF has fixed these problem with the machining now? I've seen VRF model added to puretime in May 2020.

ywg

3/7/17
I wonder if VRF has fixed these problem with the machining now? I've seen VRF model added to puretime in May 2020.

I'm not a 100% sure. Overall the watch is not a good out of the box rep IMHO. I never really wore it and it's been sitting around in my watchbox ever since I purchased it.