• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Weight Difference of Gen Rolex Daytona Verses a Rep

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
Being a “newbie” I had no idea that the weight between a Gen Rolex and a Rep can be quite a lot and that this is the first “tell” an expert tends to use when looking at your watch.
I was showing my Rep 116506 Daytona (Platinum) Noob but made in Steel to a friend who owns 22 genuine Rolexes and the first thing he did was compare it’s weight to that of the YG Gen Daytona he had on his wrist. He then declared that mine was a fake before even actually looking at it and when I compared one watch in each hand the difference was obvious. The Gen of mine was supposed to weigh 283 grams and mine weighs 136g. I realise that steel weighs less than platinum or gold but I’m surprised that the manufacturers of Reps haven’t addressed this yet.
One forum member suggested them being made in Tungsten but he said the cost of using new machinery would add substantially to the cost. I was prepared to get my Rep platinum plated but now I hesitate when anybody “in the know” can easily spot the weight difference. He said that besides the weight it was a good Rep and doubted he could tell it was a fake until he put it under magnification.
I now understand why the Daytona 116500/116520 in steel is so popular on here because I saw on another thread that the weight difference is minimal between Gen and the latest Reps. According to him, a Rolex enthusiast would have trouble telling the Gen from the Rep in these without magnification and the “weight test” would not give it away.
As I said, I’m a newbie”, and here is a dumb newbie idea – would it be possible to put a thin layer of lead glued to the inside of the back case to weigh it down? Don’t laugh me off, it’s just an idea and maybe there isn’t enough space in there otherwise you guys would have done it (I guess?). Naturally, it would be obvious once the watch was opened but until that time…………..

Reactions: vcappp

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
Why, are you trying to fool others that you have a Genuine Rollie?

I thought you guys were ALWAYS trying to get your Reps as close as possible to Gen? Isn't that "the game"? Or have I missed the whole point of this forum? Or if this is not the point of the forum then please explain to a newbie what is the point?

Reactions: vcappp

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Well with literally thousands of members on the forums there are obviously many different reasons and no particular "point" of the forum or hobby.

For me I like watches and have Reps and Gens and my Reps are mostly of reasonable quality but I never try to pass of my Reps as Gens and certainly don't concern myself with weight accuracy but I also don't worry about "tells" as I wear watches to please myself and have no insecurities of "being called out".

I do enjoy discussing my Reps with other enthusiasts but in the context that they are Reps.

Others see it differently.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
OP, the easiest way would be to stop buying precious metal watches until our TDs provide pieces that are made of tungsten / wolfram. Hiding heavy materials in the case back in a fools game.

ubzer

Known Member
26/6/18
but as far as i know, the SS Daytonas from ARF and Noob are very close to gen in terms of weight.

JohnnyBe

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/1/16
Stainless steel watches,since the dimensions of rep and gen are the same,are absolutely the same..no way to figure out a gen/rep steel watch from weight difference,there is none.

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
Platinum plating wont do shit for weight compared to a solid platinum piece, don't waste your money. This is why I only stick to Stainless Steel, I would love a nice Day Date, but the weight is an instant tell.

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
Platinum plating wont do shit for weight compared to a solid platinum piece, don't waste your money. This is why I only stick to Stainless Steel, I would love a nice Day Date, but the weight is an instant tell.

I understand that plating will not add much to the weight but the overall look of the platinum verses the stainless should be better?