• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is Today’s perception of the TC Sub.

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
Love my Caddell sub. Got also the Ginault but put that one on sale now..

iqQs8.jpg

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Oh dear. I'm about to swim against the tide.

I'm not exactly comparing like for like, but this is my stock, no rehault JF Kermit (with a $10 shark bezel swapped in at time of photo). To my eye, I fail to see what's so amazing about the TC to justify the massive price difference. I think a JF with prof/Gen crystal upgrade would look better than a stock TC with normal crystal. So it might be great and a better watch, but not worth the cost imo.

iLPNg.jpg

Reactions: vcappp and KJ2020

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I owned various versions of the JF16610 sub, and IMHO, they were comparable in terms of looks to my one TC LV V7. But today, only one JF is still ticking. The SH33135 movement is really too unreliable. In contrast, the TC LV is still one of the daily beaters and runs like a champ with +5S/day.

Reactions: KJ2020

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
I had a TC LV and it looked great. What killed it for me was his stubborn insistence that the bezel turning as hard as it did was just like gen. “Use three fingers and push down while turning”. I’ve owned a gen five digit Sub and it never had that issue. Plus he was kind of a dick. But the watch did look good.

Reactions: vcappp

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
Build my kermit from zero its my favorite submariner ootb, and i have quite a few modded, as many old members say " 6 digit subs are for noobs" ????

WatchSpaz

Known Member
28/2/17
Just before TC went underground, I ordered a V7extremeLV. My oldest son was in a car accident (everyone ok in the end) so I cancelled the order for cash flow. A few weeks later I had recouped some money and went back to TC to order the watch and POOF he was gone. Months later the JF LV version came out and I picked it up. Sorry for those of you that are happy with it but in my opinion it was rubbish. Dial font looks awful, rehaut was wonky, lugs too thick, movement needed service. I quickly sold it and gave up on obtaining a Kermit. Then a few weeks ago I was searching the forum late one night and a TCV7 hit for sale and I was able to jump on it. It truly scratches the itch I have had for months and months. Fantastic watch out of the box. I have upgraded it with gen crystal and gen insert. I also had some chamfers and bezels reworked to gen. Also rebrushed the case and smoothed edges as gen. It is an amazing watch! No plans to ever let it go. A better 16610 will not be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: ginopino

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
Oh dear. I'm about to swim against the tide.

I'm not exactly comparing like for like, but this is my stock, no rehault JF Kermit (with a $10 shark bezel swapped in at time of photo). To my eye, I fail to see what's so amazing about the TC to justify the massive price difference. I think a JF with prof/Gen crystal upgrade would look better than a stock TC with normal crystal. So it might be great and a better watch, but not worth the cost imo.

iLPNg.jpg

What's wrong with that 7 man ; )

Reactions: Longwood

p.schwabe.2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/11/16
TC V6
Gen crown
Gen Bezel and insert
Gen crystal
Gen springbars
Modded case (lugs in case) and braclete (to fit gen springbars).... With swiss eta 2836 and noob dwo (v6s)
f30df62e8ab40967887bdfa28301c19e.jpg
0aafc781e35e903489e77d6e303c1df0.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
JF with mods can be as good or better than the TC, for the same price. The one thing I will say about the latest TC, the PA2 bezel is fantastic.

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
IMHO, you should keep your TC, OP. I know I will keep mine. Many thought he was difficult. But he was real nice to me and accommodated my request to deliver my TCLV V6 (with V7 everything except the PA bezel) in the only window of opportunity available to my cousin who hand-carried it for me in Asia. I waited less than 22 days, if I remember right. And my TC still winds as smooth as butter as the cliche goes. Only my Loco Louie Bluesey comes close to the TC winding almost rubbery smoothness. So, yeah, keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
Can anyone verify with me with this TC? I got it as part of a trade. I don't recall TC releasing Submariner dials with a Flat S, "Zubmariner".
d58a0853b27fbb1c8c19dd19c866766e.jpg
5a5b6254544dc9518ac90515f16b3ab9.jpg
35cc2688a3ba25322e6fc5ecae6c8015.jpg
f7a734568da7ccdfcaa6c68f715bf8eb.jpg
60443d17fa2fe542493396ae08a693bb.jpg
94976994602c2977c825b0baf19ea77e.jpg
113a5898f6862f003db1d2bbc0b398ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
My 2 cent: My first rep was a TC V7X LN bought directly from TC... and is the reason why I met this forum.
Is simply stunning and regret no to ordered an LV version too... but luckily I found a good V7 in M2M some time ago.

The only upgrade, to me, is the insert and Crystal... in this configuration is perfect.

Don't sell it, you'll regret it! But if you really want to do it, sell it to me :D :D :D

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Hi guys, I bought pancorjackhammer Ginault and must say she is a beauty, i've only had it for a couple of days and not absolutley sure if i will keep it, I really do miss not wearing my 16610. I'm hopring it will grow on me. The quality is outstanding. Anyway the thing that seams to me to be a huge contradiction in the rep world (not just here on RWI) is that with a TC sub everyone just adores it and gushes endlessly over it, but the Ginault gets an absolute battering, but surely the Ginault is just a TCV8 without Rolex on the dial?? Can anyone else see the irony in this? And I have not seen anywhere the absolute biggest advantage of the Ginault is that you can actually dive in it.... that's why I bought it, try taking a rep down to 30m!

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
Anyway the thing that seams to me to be a huge contradiction in the rep world (not just here on RWI) is that with a TC sub everyone just adores it and gushes endlessly over it, but the Ginault gets an absolute battering, but surely the Ginault is just a TCV8 without Rolex on the dial??

As much as everyone hates to admit it - the Ginault doesnt have "ROLEX" on the dial. That is what everyone wants. We all say we like these watches for our own pleasure you can believe that if you wish but if we are being completely honest most people like to portray their reps as gens.

That is why the Ginault is not that popular.

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I agree, my "Rolex" makes me feel better somehow? But my bigger problem tonight is that my Ginault Bezel has completely seized??? Was moving perfectly 2 days ago and now completely stuck, only managed to turn the pip to 11 any advise pls??

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
I haven't actually read any criticism of the Ginaults on the Rep forums, the Gen forums are a different matter.

Can't really agree that the Ginaults aren't popular as anytime they come up for sale they don't last long and get good money.

I have the TC and a Ginault and to be honest wear the Ginault much more often as it gives me everything that I love about a 5 Digit Sub but without the negative perceptions that some people feel about Rollies.

Either way both are in the "keeper" category at the moment.

Anyway this was a TC thread but I only responded as I like my Ginault so much.

As far as the bezel is concerned it likely just needs to be removed and re-seated as I think the retainer washer sometimes binds up somehow.

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
As much as everyone hates to admit it - the Ginault doesnt have "ROLEX" on the dial. That is what everyone wants. We all say we like these watches for our own pleasure you can believe that if you wish but if we are being completely honest most people like to portray their reps as gens.

That is why the Ginault is not that popular.

/Off-topic on
This! Finally someone who doesn't say the usual BS. When looking how crazy nitpicking 90%+ users here are with QC and so on, the usual BS that reps are just for us to enjoy as a hobby just doesn't cut it.
​​​​​​
I sold my Ginault to cover funds for my TC LN V7x. After having both I never wore the Ginault again, very likely because it looked like a Rolex Sub but had Ginault on the dial.
/Off-topic off

Funnily I don't wear my TC LN V7x either but as far as the OP goes, my advice would be not to sell it. I don't wear mine at all but not putting up for sale as I know I will be regretting it.

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
Hi guys, I bought pancorjackhammer Ginault and must say she is a beauty, i've only had it for a couple of days and not absolutley sure if i will keep it, I really do miss not wearing my 16610. I'm hopring it will grow on me. The quality is outstanding. Anyway the thing that seams to me to be a huge contradiction in the rep world (not just here on RWI) is that with a TC sub everyone just adores it and gushes endlessly over it, but the Ginault gets an absolute battering, but surely the Ginault is just a TCV8 without Rolex on the dial?? Can anyone else see the irony in this? And I have not seen anywhere the absolute biggest advantage of the Ginault is that you can actually dive in it.... that's why I bought it, try taking a rep down to 30m!

On a side note : )

I was wearing a carbotech pam replica direct from the factory during my last beach holiday. Just to try it, I took it swimming and it was holding up. We befriended another family at the resort and one day they said ok we are going diving. I did not tell them the watch was a rep and just went diving with the thing - and the pam was bombproof. I was so proud of the little sucker! I was thinking of selling it before but now she is a keeper.

Of course take this as an exception guys - don't ruin your reps :)))