• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is Today’s perception of the TC Sub.

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Let me make this clear, I am not offering a TC for sale and this is not a “fishing for a backdoor sale” post.

So my activity on the Rep forums has been much less lately as I have been busy with other things and find due to usual market trends and currency exchange variations that the cost of many of the Reps that interest me are a touch high these days when compared with modestly priced Gens.

My current collection is now under 10 including both Reps and budget Gens and I haven’t bought a Rep in over a year.

So I have often assessed my small collection and regularly consider selling them off simply as I am not wearing them and the longer I leave it the less they will be worth due to the constant issuing of new versions.

So the biggest dilemma I have had has been whether to sell my TC as it is my most valuable watch and my concern was that it will one day be worthless due to the new models being offered by the various factories.

Now with the others most are only worth a few hundred dollars so I have likely already enjoyed more than that in value so I’m not worried about moving them but the TC was different for several reasons being (1) that it was not cheap, (2) it was a replacement for an earlier TC that I sold and regretted selling (3) I waited for six months to get it from TC at a time when speculation was rampant that we were not going to get our watches as TC had disappeared off the Radar, I had never doubted that TC would deliver but the speculation and panic from various members added to the overall buying experience & most significantly (4) I will likely never be able to get another and even more likely that I’ll never be able to buy one direct from TC.

So after much procrastination and preparing a for sale listing at least three times I have now decided that I will keep it regardless if it’s interest from the hobby and value diminishes as I’m sure that I will regret it if I sell it.

So as I have not been as active on the forums recently and haven’t kept up with the various threads my question is this, Are the TC Subs still in high standing amongst the 5 Digit Sub fans given the newer offerings such as the JF and possibly other factories?

I’m really asking for general perceptions as the old “TC” killer thread pretty much covers the detailed stuff but I’m more interested in how people perceive the TC’s today.

My TCLVx with Gen LN insert.

UuU2F.jpg

With TC LV insert.

bZUyq.jpg

JoeyT

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/14
I have also been out of the rep game a while and I used to be very high on TC models and I still am. I would love to add one to my collection again one day. I am enjoying my ginault which had a lot of speculation about being made in part by TC himself but I believe that debate has been put to rest. Enjoy your watch my friend and I call dibs on it when you want to sell haha

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
Don’t sell it or you’ll regret it. They are still greatly respected, although the JF is better than it was as they removed the rehaut engraving. Tc is still the best 5 digit. The JF didn’t sell as well as they’d hoped so we might not see another factory attempt to rep it for a while

Reactions: vcappp and DD60

fradic

Renowned Member
16/9/11
TC still the king. Will be, until he returns again and releases v8. IF that ever happens, lol. Keep your watch and enjoy it.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
And do not forget, the TC comes with an ETA clone whereas JF puts a SH3135. Your TC will be ticking nicely 10 years from now, but I can't promise the same for the JF. Even better, if your TC stops working, you will get it sorted in a week, if a JF does stop... Well, prepare your wallet to get either genuine Rolex parts or a new movement.

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
TC Still the undisputed king !
My TCV7LVX - Eta 2824, H4 pinion, gen no ar/crystal
Rp6RF.md.jpg

Reactions: stufuse and KJ2020

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
For there to be something better, the TC7 needs to have flaws. If I recall correctly he was changing the way the pinion ends looked to match them to the gen. Think about it, he felt that the watch was so good he wanted to replicate something you could see only at magnification levels. This level of OCD is what makes it extremely difficult to spot a TC from a gen. Some members here are able to do it, but that is literally a few dozen people in the entire world. It's very difficult to perfect nigh perfection. WMD, TC and Phong are regarded so highly because they are the best

Also, I don't doubt that TC is very much involved with Genault. Circumstantial evidence; maybe... But hey you want to argue that TC going out of the Rep game business and weeks later almost an exact clone of the TC7 appearing under a homage brand is just a coincidence, be my guest

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
IMHO, I don't think that we will ever see the same or better quality from China factory reps like the TCV7x LV/LN as far as the 5 digit subs go.
So until we have another individual dedicated to producing quality 16610 reps with as much detail as TC, the value will remain.
So, while many of us await that next super rep version from the factories, I find myself looking for the next Sean or TC to come along.

My TCV7LVX Eta 2824, h4 pinion, gen crystal, crown, click spring and gen LN insert as TCV7LNX with maxi dial.

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
My V7X with gen insert, LEC/ AR crystal, tension ring, spring and click springs.

I've been through numerous reps in the past few months, Noob, JF, ARF but in my opinion, the TC always jumps out in terms of quality. The hands, the lume application and strength, dial marker surrounds, dial text print. Unless you're building a franken with gen dial & hands.

I made a video comparing the bezel action with a Noob V6S and ARF. The difference, one needs to see it to believe it.

@shoveintc I wouldn't be worried about a new version coming out. A JF 5-digit bracelet in 904L would be a nice addition at best. Wish I had your resolve though, just listed mine with a heavy heart on Repgeek and HB yesterday.
f2bef9372ec7fbd4e7e3899540c306af.jpg

Reactions: mech500

dhistory

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/11/17
It will always have a demand in this community.
not only because of the quality, but more importantly, the narrative that TC created as he built the different pieces. Definitely miss my V6. I hope to have an opportunity to get another one day. This time, I’d definitely spring for a gen crystal, all the difference in the world. Good luck brother.

Reactions: vcappp

androme

Tímêlëšš
Supporter
Certified
21/8/17
Brexit
I had a franken TC v7x with gen xtal, insert, tube and crown. Sold it in favour of my Superfranken v6s. Whilst I did love the TC, I hated the hollow clasp compared to the wonderful v6s clasp (which I had andrei01 do his clasp mod on to make it even better). It has a slimmer profile compared to the 6 digit imo. on the wrist which I think makes it a bit more versatile. I do regret selling it so my best advice is to keep it.

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Thanks for the responses guys.

I know that we should base our decisions and preferences purely on how we feel about something ourselves without considering how others perceve them but it sure helps to cement that perception knowing others share that feeling.

To be honest as JoeyT mentioned he had a Ginault I also have one and that has become my most favoured watch as it has features of both the 5 and 6 digit Sub so combined makes it my favorite watch and has been for some time hence my initial thoughts of moving the TC but the TC is just such a perfect rendition of the classic 16610 and from what you have said in these responses has yet to be completely matched so I guess it will remain in the watchbox or on my wrist for some time.

Cheers,

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I had a franken TC v7x with gen xtal, insert, tube and crown. Sold it in favour of my Superfranken v6s. Whilst I did love the TC, I hated the hollow clasp compared to the wonderful v6s clasp

Correct but the hollow clasp is a gen feature on 5 digit subs.

5digit vs 6digit sub is a matter of taste but it’s safe to say that the best 5 digit rep is TC v7 with KH Dial and hands.

Reactions: vcappp and KJ2020

peterpl

24/7/11
TC is still the best for 5 digit subs. I love my LV.

JF's one still has a lot of problems to fix. I just cant get over their DW they use.

Beone21

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/12/10
Only watch I ever regret selling. Had v2 LV, v6 and v7 extreme.
V7 was the best watch I ever owned.

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
Don’t sell your TC (or sell the LV to me if you don’t want to take my advice lolol!!!)

Here’s my beloved TC V7xtrm with gen crystal and insert, the only rep I would keep if I had to keep one!
37dc698b351f9d9c8319064ae08c23be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J___

M2M Stalker
Patron
Certified
3/7/14
I greatly regret selling my TC YM V2...sold it for only $500 at the time too.