• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SD43mm issue - advice

Mr_SD

Known Member
6/3/18
Hi all

I have just recieved my SD43mm back from a modder, however i went to adjust the time and the stem / crown popped out.

Me being an idiot i tried to put this back in and then snapped the sod off!

Does anyone know where i can get a new stem / crown? The crown doesnt seem to unscrew from the stem?

I am beyond annoyed.

Thanks for the help :)

D

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Sorry to hear about your trouble. What movement is in your SD?

You should not need a new crown. Soak it in acetone overnight (goof off or nail polish remover).The broken stem piece should then be able to be unscrewed from the crown. Replacing a new generic stem is easy. See this link. You can also look for a replacement stem on Esslinger, they are easy to find.

https://blog.esslinger.com/how-to-replace-a-watch-stem/

Now for the not so good news. The fact that the stem popped out and wouldn't go back in indicates that the keyless works have likely been fouled and need to be reset. This requires the movement to be taken out and the hands, dial, and datewheel to be removed. Not something an unskilled user can DIY.

Let's get your crown and stem back together and see if we can get it to go back in.

Reactions: MrBeasy

Mr_SD

Known Member
6/3/18
Thanks for the advice , that’s very kind

i did send to a modded to change the DWO , so clearly this issue with the keyless works stems from this..

how frustrating , I have emailed them - I hope they will sort it out.

Mr_SD

Known Member
6/3/18
Sorry to hear about your trouble. What movement is in your SD?

You should not need a new crown. Soak it in acetone overnight (goof off or nail polish remover).The broken stem piece should then be able to be unscrewed from the crown. Replacing a new generic stem is easy. See this link. You can also look for a replacement stem on Esslinger, they are easy to find.

https://blog.esslinger.com/how-to-replace-a-watch-stem/

Now for the not so good news. The fact that the stem popped out and wouldn't go back in indicates that the keyless works have likely been fouled and need to be reset. This requires the movement to be taken out and the hands, dial, and datewheel to be removed. Not something an unskilled user can DIY.

Let's get your crown and stem back together and see if we can get it to go back in.

The challenge is I cant get the stem from the crown as there is nothing to get hold of.

Mr_SD

Known Member
6/3/18
Is the 126600 a 7mm crown ? Anyone have one they’d like to sell me ?

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
send it back to the modder. Obviously they will fix it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Is the 126600 a 7mm crown ? Anyone have one they’d like to sell me ?

The ARf sd43 crown is 7 mm. You can get one from Raffles dials with the Rolex crown on it that will take about 3 weeks or you can get a sterile one from esslinger.com that will take about 3 days

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
The ARf sd43 crown is 7 mm. You can get one from Raffles dials with the Rolex crown on it that will take about 3 weeks or you can get a sterile one from esslinger.com that will take about 3 days
is the crown just a 704 crown? same as subs and GMT?

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Soak the crown in alumsolution, it will dissolve the steel of the stem but will not damage the crown as it is stainless.

Reactions: KJ2020

Mr_SD

Known Member
6/3/18
Soak the crown in alumsolution, it will dissolve the steel of the stem but will not damage the crown as it is stainless.

yes I’ve heard this will work...

lets see see if the ARF crown really is stainless 904L :)

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
You dont need a new crown, only a stem....if you send me the mvt or stemsize, I can check if I have one for you.....or your watchmaker maybe?

Mr_SD

Known Member
6/3/18
You dont need a new crown, only a stem....if you send me the mvt or stemsize, I can check if I have one for you.....or your watchmaker maybe?

Sir that’s very kind.

i couldn’t get the stem out of the crown and i don’t want to sit for days trying to dissolve it.

i purchased a new gen crown that I’m told will fit the SD43 - let’s see if ARF has the same dims on the tube.

my modded should have both to fix tomorrow and he has stems.

really appreciate you being so kind though!!

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Np, hope it will fit.... weeks to dissolve?? Takes an hour or 2

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Sir that’s very kind.

i couldn’t get the stem out of the crown and i don’t want to sit for days trying to dissolve it.

i purchased a new gen crown that I’m told will fit the SD43 - let’s see if ARF has the same dims on the tube.

my modded should have both to fix tomorrow and he has stems.

really appreciate you being so kind though!!

Lets hope your he doesn't fuck up the keyless works a second time.

Reactions: muiramas