• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cyclops Misaligned...Can I rotate the entire crystal to correct?

HSN

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/2/17
Just got my first (proper) rep, an ARF 37mm Yacht Matser.
The Cyclops is out by 5 degrees or soa and it's really been bugging me....
I've contacted a watchmaker who is willing to take out the crystal and rotate it for me.
Can someone confirm either this can be done (or is there an index on the crystal/case to locates and fixes the position of the crystal).
I'm also worried that having this done may damage the watch in some way, has anyone done this before on an ARF YM?

mascob1

6/11/16
Hello. Normally, you can rotate the crystal. The watchmaker you've contacted is right: You have to take out the crystal, rotate it to adjust the position of the cyclops with the date window (and check the engraved crown at 6) and reinstall with a press.
So bad you didn't saw it on your QC pics...

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Can you post a pic? I've seen some rep cyclops that have non-parallel top and bottom edges, usually the bottom edge slants down to the right. In this situation, a cyclops or crystal replacement is needed.

HSN

19/2/17
Thank you for your replies. I'll ask the watch repaired for their thoughts. It's very difficult to make out in pics hence why I didn't catch in the QC pics.
I've uploaded a picture here:
https://ibb.co/jwiAjz

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Despite there being a narrow slanted shadow at the top edge of your date window, after using some filters you can see pretty well the orientations and relationship of the cyclops and the datewheel. It looks to me like your cyclops has parallel horizontal edges that are level with respect to the dial. The date window looks to have a slightly irregular shape, neither its horizontal or vertical edges are parallel to each other.

The bottom edge of the date window appears parallel to the bottom edge of the cyclops so if you were to rotate the crystal clockwise to aid the upper edges appearance, it would be at the expense of the currently proper bottom edges appearance. Best you can do is 'split the difference' and have tops and bottoms both off slightly, the tops edges being less off than they are now and the bottom edges more off than they are now. You would be looking at a minuscule amount of rotation, about .1mm - .2mm

If you are going to pay someone to do this, I would want to be there to approve the final placement.

15373257607600.jpg

kyo86sg

23/9/16
The Cyclops can easily be adjusted or removed but its just the matter of melting the cyclops glue below and perform the realignment.

HSN

19/2/17
Wow thank you so much for checking in such detail for me! I really appreciate it.
Would you just live with it or have it rotated?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Wow thank you so much for checking in such detail for me! I really appreciate it.
Would you just live with it or have it rotated?

I know its your first proper rep and you want it as close to perfect as possible, but honestly it's a rep crystal anyway with no AR and if you leave it alone you'll likely grow to be more annoyed by all the glare from it than any miniscule offset. I would just live with it or put the money you save toward a Clarks or Prof crystal. A crystal replacement is often the first mod folks due for the reason I mentioned. I have a Sub where my cyclops horizontal edges are not parallel, the lower edge slants down to the right. I never even think about it anymore (til now, thank you very much) Hehe, j/k. Reps will have flaws, as you get more you will learn to live with them or have emptier pockets!

Azmodia

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/8/18
Yeah, for my first rep I expected the flaws and planned on fixing them myself (ie. replacing the crystal with a gen and buying a crystal press to do it myself. The cyclops was also misaligned and the gasket height was off so the magnification was off as well. As they say, if you want it perfect, just go with the gen. You can't expect the same from a rep, even if it is "super rep" quality.

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
My gen has a slightly crooked cyclops. It’s gen spec bro. :)