• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need advice on good person to...

English Gent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/14
Just bought a Submariner 16610 LV Green JF 1:1 SH3135, and the date wheel looks bad, I see a lot of people on here selling watches that have been modded with new wheels and AR coated crystals, maybe even a service, anyone know who performs this service, Im based in UK, but dont mind sending out.

thanks guys

Paul

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hi Paul ... If I was based in UK I would be glad to help you
You could ask ado213 ... Adrian is based in UK and can possibly modd that watch for you

BTW Paul ... do you remember the DHGate Air-King I bought from you ?
I have modded it a little ... a BIG little in fact (5500 patina dial, drilled lugs, reworked case and lugs, reworked crown, etc ...)
Below is a pic of how it looks now and here is a link to the thread about thad mod https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...ir-king-precision-with-patina-dial-circa-1975

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Hi Paul ... If I was based in UK I would be glad to help you
You could ask ado213 ... Adrian is based in UK and can possibly modd that watch for you

BTW Paul ... do you remember the DHGate Air-King I bought from you ?
I have modded it a little ... a BIG little in fact (5500 patina dial, drilled lugs, reworked case and lugs, reworked crown, etc ...)
Below is a pic of how it looks now and here is a link to the thread about thad mod https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...ir-king-precision-with-patina-dial-circa-1975

Thanks for advice, Ill remember name for future, but I sent it back as it had other issues which I wasn't expecting from the TC killer it was sold as!

yes remember the watch, and love what you've done with it. Im waiting on 2 more DH gate specials, a Cellini and 36mm Perpetual... bit higher up price scale, but see what I get, I think with simple watches like this you can get good deals.

PS might look nice on a black croc your Airking!

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Thanks for advice, Ill remember name for future, but I sent it back as it had other issues which I wasn't expecting from the TC killer it was sold as!

yes remember the watch, and love what you've done with it. Im waiting on 2 more DH gate specials, a Cellini and 36mm Perpetual... bit higher up price scale, but see what I get, I think with simple watches like this you can get good deals.

Who sold it as “the TC killer”?

If I remember correctly Puretime said “is it time to say goodbye to TC sub?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nivka

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Who sold it as “the TC killer”?

If I remember correctly Puretime said “is it time to say goodbye to TC sub?”

Isnt that the same thing? Time to say goodbye suggests the new product is better...

and its not.. not even close, shame I sold my TC now.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16

Thanks ... there's some close-up pics in the dedicated thread, really nice IMHO ... I'm really proud of what I did with the crown (chamfered the "case-side") and case and the dial is not bad too.

I'm always interested about "cheap" watches that can be modded so if you post a review of your DHGate Cellini and Perpetual please PM me

Reactions: English Gent

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Isnt that the same thing? Time to say goodbye suggests the new product is better...

Woul you give some details about the issues with the JF 16610 ?
I was close to pull the trigger so I'd really like to know what's wrong (to see if I can upgrade myself).

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Woul you give some details about the issues with the JF 16610 ?
I was close to pull the trigger so I'd really like to know what's wrong (to see if I can upgrade myself).

mine had misaligned bezel with LOADS of play in it, dial was ok, but suffered from the light print JF seem to do, when I tried to pull out the divers clasp so I could extend the bracelet the end link that has no screw to the bracket just popped out, and I'm far from a strong man, I have arthritis...

Insert seemed dark to me as well, darker and flatter than the gen insert I had in my TC v6 LV.

the date wheel looks like it was copied from a photocopy, super thick numerals, but that is a known problem. also setting date could be hard to find second gear and set. I had planned to get date wheel fixed, new crystal and service for the movement. but not worth it.

I only bought it as I'm into collecting diver watches with coloured bezel rings.. kid you not.. lol Ive gone almost all Gen now apart from 2 watches, and had some credit with Puretime.

getting the 2 watches I said from DHgate to test on wrist, like the idea of the grape perpetual at 36mm, and want to see what Cellini is like at 39mm, as there's new ones coming out by good makers.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15

No it’s not the same, Puretime didn’t say it was time to say goodbye, Puretime asked the question “is it time to say goodbye” that’s the way I interpreted it anyway

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
No it’s not the same, Puretime didn’t say it was time to say goodbye, Puretime asked the question “is it time to say goodbye” that’s the way I interpreted it anyway

Well obviously its not...

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
mine had misaligned bezel with LOADS of play in it, dial was ok, but suffered from the light print JF seem to do, when I tried to pull out the divers clasp so I could extend the bracelet the end link that has no screw to the bracket just popped out, and I'm far from a strong man, I have arthritis...

Insert seemed dark to me as well, darker and flatter than the gen insert I had in my TC v6 LV.

the date wheel looks like it was copied from a photocopy, super thick numerals, but that is a known problem. also setting date could be hard to find second gear and set. I had planned to get date wheel fixed, new crystal and service for the movement. but not worth it.

I only bought it as I'm into collecting diver watches with coloured bezel rings.. kid you not.. lol Ive gone almost all Gen now apart from 2 watches, and had some credit with Puretime.

getting the 2 watches I said from DHgate to test on wrist, like the idea of the grape perpetual at 36mm, and want to see what Cellini is like at 39mm, as there's new ones coming out by good makers.

OMG ... full pack of issues

From my own experience date wheels are rarely OK ... misaligned, too thick, too thin, what else ?
Plus it's sometimes impossible to find a period correct date wheel for a specific model, depending on the movement you use.
I've been searching for a date wheel with open 9 and 6 for a 16800 build with a DG2813 (working perfectly so I dont want to swap) ... without any success
So I have designed a correct DW with Illustrator and printed it on clear decal paper.
Then I have sanded the DG2813 existing date wheel and painted it with matte white lacquer.
This week I'll put the decal on the date wheel, spray 2 coats of glossy varnish and put it back on the movement.
If I get a good result I'll post something about that modd on the forums.

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Noob dwo is a good cheap alternative to gen. Most modest should be able to swap out the date wheel and service the movement. If also swap in a gen crystal and insert

Reactions: English Gent

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Noob dwo is a good cheap alternative to gen. Most modest should be able to swap out the date wheel and service the movement. If also swap in a gen crystal and insert

Thanks for advice, but already packed off and sent! think Im going to swap it for a no date, never did like the cyclopes.

simplysimo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/10/17

Nice watch!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks for advice, but already packed off and sent! think Im going to swap it for a no date, never did like the cyclopes.

If you swap for a no date you'll be stucked to the 6 digits (or a vintage) ... never seen a good 14060 Rep (but I have not visited the TD's website for some months)

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
OMG ... full pack of issues

From my own experience date wheels are rarely OK ... misaligned, too thick, too thin, what else ?
Plus it's sometimes impossible to find a period correct date wheel for a specific model, depending on the movement you use.
I've been searching for a date wheel with open 9 and 6 for a 16800 build with a DG2813 (working perfectly so I dont want to swap) ... without any success
So I have designed a correct DW with Illustrator and printed it on clear decal paper.
Then I have sanded the DG2813 existing date wheel and painted it with matte white lacquer.
This week I'll put the decal on the date wheel, spray 2 coats of glossy varnish and put it back on the movement.
If I get a good result I'll post something about that modd on the forums.

I am extremely interested in this project my friend. I have a Seagull movement Skydweller with a horrible datewheel that I have been trying to get around to doing something similar. Please post back on your progress. I was going to make my own overlay and have it printed on thin cardstock, then glue it to the DW. Your decal approach is intriguing. Any chance you could email me the Illustrator file you have? It would save me so much time. Thanks bro.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I am extremely interested in this project my friend. I have a Seagull movement Skydweller with a horrible datewheel that I have been trying to get around to doing something similar. Please post back on your progress. I was going to make my own overlay and have it printed on thin cardstock, then glue it to the DW. Your decal approach is intriguing. Any chance you could email me the Illustrator file you have? It would save me so much time. Thanks bro.

Thanks !!! glad to know you like my project.
And of course, as I already said it, I'll share the results and some pics of the process, probably on my 16800 Comex thread (I need to reupload the pics on that one casue the have disapperd, thanks to hosting pics :wacko:)
Now ... about sharing my Illustrator file ... unfortunately I don't think so :no:
I like sharing my methods and my tricks, many of which I learned from members here and there, some of which I discovered by myself and a few of which I have designed (you'll see one on my A/6538 thread when the build will be finished).
But as you wrote it ... the result asked me "so much time" ...
As I promised I will explain all the stages of the process so that if a member here wants to do the same mod he will have everything in hand to succeed if he agrees to devote the necessary time ... and if he doesn't have time to devote or if he's too lazy or doesn't like to tinker a little ... I read my Pm box once a week :yes: