• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF deep sea case breakdown

gym chan

Known Member
Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
Guys, I popped the bezel assembly off to replace the insert but when I pressed it back on again it sits unevenly (gap at 12, no gap at 6) it seems like the click springs are pushing the bezel up. How do I fix this?

Last edited:

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Guys, I popped the bezel assembly off the replace the insert but when I pressed it back on again it sits unevenly (gap at 12, no gap at 6) it seems like the click springs are pushing the bezel up. How do I fix this?

The clamping ring ( look Graphic above ) has to be lowered. I think it came a little bit up when popping the bezel off (thats mostly normal)
you have to popp the bezel off again and press the clamping ring a bit down with a crystal press. Than put the bezel back.

sometimes you have to do this procedure some times until it fits correct.

Other Method:

P
ull the clamping ring also out ( it sits not so tight ) than popp the ceramic insert out from the bezel. Put the clamping ring from above into the bezel and press the whole assembly on the crystal back in place ( you need a crystal press and a dye fitting on the clamping ring!!! )
if its sitting too tight you can go with a knife under the bezel carefully to lift it a bit up.

after that put the insert back in place.

Reactions: gym chan

gym chan

Known Member
Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
The clamping ring ( look Graphic above ) has to be lowered. I think it came a little bit up when popping the bezel off (thats mostly normal)
you have to popp the bezel off again and press the clamping ring a bit down with a crystal press. Than put the bezel back.

Other Method:

P
ull the clamping ring also out ( it sits not so tight ) than popp the ceramic insert out from the bezel. Put the clamping ring from above into the bezel and press the whole assembly on the crystal back in place ( you need a crystal press and a dye fitting on the clamping ring!!! )
if its sitting too tight you can go with a knife under the bezel carefully to lift it a bit up.

I appreciate the detailed explanation Rob! however, I can't seem to find the clamping ring, unless it's the one sitting flushed in the assembly at the moment.

gym chan

Known Member
Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada

Other Method:

P

Nevermind, I think i got it, I used bigger dies for the crystal press base and pressing the bezel rim. Now it sits evenly, cheers.

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Nevermind, I think i got it, I used bigger dies for the crystal press base and pressing the bezel rim. Now it sits evenly, cheers.

Perfect, good job Bro! and yes the clamping ring came out with the bezel on your pics.

Reactions: gym chan

jirages

Horology Curious
3/6/19
Hello,from a total noob ! I just fell on this thread and hoped I read it before, great info.
I got an ARF DSSD d-blue last month from PT and the crystal was protruding about 1mm above the bezel.
I passed by an AD and checked the crystal recess on the DSSD saturday afternoon.
The Sub , Seadweller protrude 1 mm from the bezel . The Deepsea 116660 they had, had the crystal level with the slanted bezel, in the shape of a continuous dome form.

So went back home, removed the case back with a sticky ball, removed the stem and placed the watch in a rotaional wheel press off amazon (the small red one).
First watch I open, ever in my life
thanks to info here on RWI , with a plastic dye a tad smaller than the crystal, I started to press, in the minimum increment I could, remove the watch from the press, and double check .
The crystal was seating down all right, but I meticulously checked each time, if pressing the crystal would lower the movement, by looking at the stem hole for alignment.
Lucky enough, the crystal went down to the level of the gen, and formed the uniform dome. Movement in case did not move
I closed the case and all was good, until I found out that the bezel was now stuck
So opened the case again, removed the stem and the movement this time,
Watch back on press, and I pressed the crystal out from inside,
it needed a micro push and the bezel turned and functioned nicely
movement back in , and all is good
maybe this could help an idiot like me

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Hello,from a total noob ! I just fell on this thread and hoped I read it before, great info.
I got an ARF DSSD d-blue last month from PT and the crystal was protruding about 1mm above the bezel.
I passed by an AD and checked the crystal recess on the DSSD saturday afternoon.
The Sub , Seadweller protrude 1 mm from the bezel . The Deepsea 116660 they had, had the crystal level with the slanted bezel, in the shape of a continuous dome form.

So went back home, removed the case back with a sticky ball, removed the stem and placed the watch in a rotaional wheel press off amazon (the small red one).
First watch I open, ever in my life
thanks to info here on RWI , with a plastic dye a tad smaller than the crystal, I started to press, in the minimum increment I could, remove the watch from the press, and double check .
The crystal was seating down all right, but I meticulously checked each time, if pressing the crystal would lower the movement, by looking at the stem hole for alignment.
Lucky enough, the crystal went down to the level of the gen, and formed the uniform dome. Movement in case did not move
I closed the case and all was good, until I found out that the bezel was now stuck
So opened the case again, removed the stem and the movement this time,
Watch back on press, and I pressed the crystal out from inside,
it needed a micro push and the bezel turned and functioned nicely
movement back in , and all is good
maybe this could help an idiot like me

did you Made some Pics of the Work? Show ist some Pics of the watch/Crystal heigh Mate.

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09

Good work!. Looks about the same as mine, still a little high though. The other problem with this bezel assembly is that either the insert removal ring or the insert is slightly to thick. The insert on the ARF sits out of the bezel when it should sit a micron under the edge of the bezel where the gen snaps in to a little lip

Queenkong

Horology Curious
19/1/20
1BNYE.jpg

Tried to read through the whole thread to find out which part I broke exactly and I believe it is the silicone hyrtel while trying to remove the bezel using the prying method? Is this the part I need to get for replacement? https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-BEZEL-GAS...72.m2749.l2649

It's an ARF model, if my local TD did not cheat me. Haha

=(=(=(

Last edited:

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
1BNYE.jpg

Tried to read through the whole thread to find out which part I broke exactly and I believe it is the silicone hyrtel while trying to remove the bezel using the prying method? Is this the part I need to get for replacement? https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-BEZEL-GAS...72.m2749.l2649

=(=(=(

Thats bad !!! not sure where to get the hyrtel ring. I'm not 100% sure, but i think those were whe wrong ones. It's for the Bezelring for DD. and statet wrong with 116660

But i'm not 100% sure. you could try it.

Reactions: Queenkong

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
1BNYE.jpg

=(=(=(

Hey buddy the hytrel ring is the same size
as the SD43 from memory. There was some on eBay sold for Sea-Dweller 126600.

looks like they are all gone but whole sale outlet 990 or
e-watch parts might have them in stock. I’ve used them and the do work.

I may have a spare if you get into trouble finding one

Complete

Renowned Member
18/10/17
The hytrel ring will work fine if its broken. Just cut out any bad/bent parts of it. It doesn’t seal anything just a ring for the bezel to slide on and keep centered.

Its okay if some of the ring is missing, you cant tell a difference in feel after you reinstall it.

Sorry if this was already mentioned. I didnt read all 145 posts.

Reactions: Queenkong

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
It’s not the same size as the one for sd43, I believe

Reactions: RobSe1

Queenkong

Horology Curious
19/1/20
The hytrel ring will work fine if its broken. Just cut out any bad/bent parts of it. It doesn’t seal anything just a ring for the bezel to slide on and keep centered.

Its okay if some of the ring is missing, you cant tell a difference in feel after you reinstall it.

Sorry if this was already mentioned. I didnt read all 145 posts.

Thank you! Unfortunately I've lost the broken hytrel ring .... betting everything on the gasket ring I bought from ewatchparts ...

theclaw25

Known Member
3/3/16
Thats bad !!! not sure where to get the hyrtel ring. I'm not 100% sure, but i think those were whe wrong ones. It's for the Bezelring for DD. and statet wrong with 116660

But i'm not 100% sure. you could try it.

That's hytrel could be work, just be patience when press over it. Used some petroleum gelly but just a little around the hytrel before press.