• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF deep sea case breakdown

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
hi guys, after coming across a few threads about the case construction of the DSSD Ive never been able to get info on the steps to removing the case parts. I ask this because I need to adjust the ring lock to get the coronet and engraving to line up with the dial. Unfortunately they are too far off to just swivel the dial slightly for correcting. The ARF DSSD I just received is way off in this department.
Is there anyone on here that could give a quick rundown on what parts are removed first. Is the ring lock pressed in from the rear of the case and does the crystal, gasket and crystal retainer need to be removed in the same process. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
muiramas thanks mate any help would be great just don't want to break anything lol

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Yes i can help you mate...DSSD my holy Grail and hate watch :D

The Problem with the inner Ring (OGEV Ring) is, that there is a Notch...so its not that easy to just rotate. But with a bit work you can adjust ist. If its only lightly off, you could adjust the whole Movement in the case - there is a minimal play to adjust.

1. Remove the whole Bezel ( on the ARF it stucks like hell )
2. Remove the Movement.
3. Press the Crystal out ( bottom to top ! )
4. Press the inner ring out ( top to bottom ! )

its a fiddly work to get all back together, but when you disassemble the Watch you can’t got wrong - there is always only one way. Also when putting all back - just reversed :)

When putting all back, get sure the inner Ring is fully pressed in !! Your caseback and Movement won’t fit otherwise.

when pressing the crystal back you have to fix the inner ring with the correct plate from your press. It has to be secured that the crystal doesn’t press it downwards.

notice: crystal can’t be fully pressed in without mods.

hope this helps a bit :)

theclaw25

Known Member
3/3/16
Hello mate look it this, this one have the Sapphire Crystal 1.0 mm out or is just me? Easy or difficult to fix? This is ARF Deepsea Dweller 904L SH3135.

20180911_132523.jpg

20180911_130132.jpg

Last edited:

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
RobSe1 thanks very much for the info mate that's a great help.
So does removing the bezel damage the thin hytrel ring that holds the bezel on? Im going to use a thin case back knife and work it around to pop it off or should I use another method?
I know this is probably textbook but I've had trouble reinstalling the SH3135 crown stem before, is it best to leave it in the hand setting position when removing?. Thanks again your help is much appreciated

Reactions: RobSe1

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
RobSe1 also I forgot to ask, when pressing the crystal back in...do you place the crystal and gasket in and then press the tension ring over the crystal and gasket. or place the gasket and ring into the case and press the crystal into it?

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Yes you can pop the Bezel with a knife off. Or carefully press the crystal out and take the Bezel off - but there is a risk to crack the insert. The Plastik ring should be ok, normally its no problem.
Always remove the stem in Time setting position!! you habe to push the button only a bit! when re-installing also push it a bit.

First put the inner ring in, than the tension ring and crystal gasket and then press the crystal in. Its a fiddly work till all is fitting. But you can do it well :)

Reactions: theclaw25

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
RobSe1 perfect! Thanks once again. This gives me the know how to adjust the ring lock. I'm a precision machinist so if I have to adjust the keyway slot to give me the room for the adjustment it's a bonus . Much praise mate thanks

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
sure mate :) take your time with the work!
important thing is a good crystal press where the plates are really even. When you removed all you will see it‘s not this hards as it seems :)

Thats perfect mate!! so you can make the cutout on the inner ring a bit bigger to align the OGEV.

Do you also want to get the crystal lower?

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
RobSe1 it's actually funny I just did the PCD calculation of the spacing between the engraving on the ring lock and the dial minute indicies and they don't match up. It's almost like even if I adjust the ring lock they still won't line up the whole way round.... damn lol

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Hmm thats strange mate^^ i would ligne up the OGEV text and the rest is at is is :)

keep us updated:)

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
RobSe1 no worries I'll keep this post updated mate when done. Just waiting for a new dial. It would be nicer to get the crystal lower as well but not sure how to attack that until I get it apart

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
mnkoshka good to hear. What Dial dis you order?

For the crystal it seems to me there are only 2 ways if you leave the Stock crystal ( don’t know if a gen crystal is lower ).
Main Problem is the Caseback cant be fully screwed down without mod.

1.) reduce the height of the inner OGEV Ring.

2.) reduce (shave down) the titanium caseback for like 1mm....now the crystal can be pressed fully down at the end of work and the lost millimeter will be compensated by the lower titanium caseback...

vjfOG.jpg

The Titanium Caseback is sitting on the Inner(OGEV) ring.
You will see what i mean when disassembled the Case :)

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Oh i forgot another point to think about with the crystal height...In every case to change the position of the Inner ring in case of the crystal pushing it down a bit your Movement will follow this way!
So it’s possible that you stem will bent because the position(height) of the stem hole (inner ring) will change but your crown position won’t change!

There is always a little play and room but this point has to be tested i don’t know exactly....maybe the position where the dial lies on the inner ring has also be shaved down the same size to hold the original Movement height in the case.

theclaw25

Known Member
3/3/16
Rob you are Beast...…!!! I will analyze whether to buy the crystal better or reduce the titanium cap. Remember we're not watchmakers ( we need some tools) I have a couple of spoons and two machetes here. I'm joking, a lot thanks for your valuable time and I will start as soon as possible with this great reference. I will keep you posted....

Reactions: RobSe1

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
RobSe1 i bought the deep blue dial off eBay as explained in this post
https://www.repgeek.com/rolex/297563-deepsea-blue-dial-issue-solved.html

my crystal only sits about 0.5mm above the insert so not sure if it's that critical compared to gen. if I machine down the OGEV ring on the backside I'll also drill out the hole for the stem to give some extra clearance. I'll machine the titanium case back down and the caseback ring sits to high on mine slightly which gives it a sharp edge where it meets the titanium

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
I‘m also no Watchmaker only a watch enthusiast with some veeeery high love for experimentals hahaha :p

theclaw25 if there is a lower crystal that would be perfect and easiest way. On WSO on ebay they also have a DSSD crystal.

mnkoshka that sharpe edge on the back was also on mine...
could you please share the Link where you bought the Dial on ebay? Or tell me ?

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
RobSe1theclaw25 i got the last dial he had for sale so it's not there anymore unfortunately. If there's a better crystal to buy that will cut out the machining time that could be a big bonus, please update on here if you find one

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
RobSe1theclaw25 i got the last dial he had for sale so it's not there anymore unfortunately. If there's a better crystal to buy that will cut out the machining time that could be a big bonus, please update on here if you find one

ok...what did you pay for it mate?
yes, new crystal would be perfect. Maybe WSO will fit!?
Gen is about 600$ but i don’t know the height.