• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex GMT 126711 Root Beer from GMF

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date

robvs

Known Member
8/7/14
How close would do you think the brown bezel is to that of the gen? how many percent?
I don't think it's even close. I am not talking about whether it's too dark. The tone is completely wrong. On a colour scale, the gen is more yellow but the rep is way too red.
The rep factories can't even the ceramic pepsi dial right, so I think there is zero chance they can get this root beer one right on the first try.
Can your rep match with this gen in the picture? This is the colour I see in real life.
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-b...verose-Gold-Root-Beer-Brown-126715CHNR-1.jpeg

I'll try tomorrow for sure. I'm wondering how much of the pic you posted is reflection vs. the inherent color. This thing grabs the color from reflections for sure. It's not 100% match, but I think the match on a Pepsi is worse right now. It is slightly off in both tone and brightness. However, it doesn't sit in one color all day long. Every tilt, every change in environment, etc. changes the color of this watch. The same exists on the gen. If you put them both side by side in the same light, yes, they will not 100% match inherently, but that's under test conditions. Stick one on your left arm and one on your right and take them out into the wild and they'll match on and off. And can you find pics of the gen grabbing the yellows more than the reds? absolutely. But this doesn't stay one color full time. There IS a difference that is a bit intangible though. The gen almost looks more "flat" or "matte" on the lower half of the bezel than the rep BP. I'm not sure how that's done on ceramic, and I'm not sure if I'm explaining it properly. Perhaps we're picking up on the same thing and I just weigh it less than you do due to having it in practice.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Off topic but IDK how ppl can own a 36K watch and let the insert triangle get dirty, let alone post a pic of it that way. And if it doesn't come clean easily, that's even worse. I wouldn't let a rep look that way.

15610013580311.jpg

Last edited:

Stevenf

Supporter
Certified
12/7/17
Singapore
It's more likely that BP has gotten a new batch of inserts with the 18 transition point moved a little, than it being a movement specific characteristic.

BP A3186 Insert
15609942781300.jpg

That's disappointing if true. I’m actually more curious about the bezel number paint. It looks pretty flat in pictures, wonder if it has the platinum effect when viewed at an angle.

robvs

Known Member
8/7/14
How close would do you think the brown bezel is to that of the gen? how many percent?
I don't think it's even close. I am not talking about whether it's too dark. The tone is completely wrong. On a colour scale, the gen is more yellow but the rep is way too red.
The rep factories can't even the ceramic pepsi dial right, so I think there is zero chance they can get this root beer one right on the first try.
Can your rep match with this gen in the picture? This is the colour I see in real life.
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-b...verose-Gold-Root-Beer-Brown-126715CHNR-1.jpeg

I tried only one pic. I’m sure I could get it closer if I played with lighting. This was taken in traffic. Terrible?

1285fc76393c9b163d6ffbf4ef1fbea1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

robvs

Known Member
8/7/14
That's disappointing if true. I’m actually more curious about the bezel number paint. It looks pretty flat in pictures, wonder if it has the platinum effect when viewed at an angle.

Hard to see in pics. There is an attempt at the platinum effect. It’s a bit gritty and shiny, but mostly only at the triangle.

0cf5733bef532eda9e77098da7790731.jpg

G

I mean maybe it's old age and my eyesight but I'm really not seeing the difference that people make out. If it's only blatant when a gen is next to it then it's a moot point for me. The hand stack being correct is more important to me. Will be annoying though if they have changed the bezel manufacturing process or something. I've been waiting to pull the trigger for agesssss.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

robvs

Known Member
8/7/14
I’m flooding this thread, but home some of this is helpful. Here’s my biggest issue with this BP:
f95c9387c28f2b24162326c86e235380.jpg

I inquired with the TD for a solution and he said “it’ll wear away slowly.” That was a double bummer for me. It means I’m not getting a solution and/or the plating doesn’t last on these things.

Reactions: Nivka

robvs

Known Member
8/7/14
And what’s going on with plating after assembly?

G

No please flood, it's very informative for us guys looking to pick one up.

Regarding the RG on the SEL, was it visible on the QC pics? I'm assuming not....

robvs

Known Member
8/7/14
No please flood, it's very informative for us guys looking to pick one up.

Regarding the RG on the SEL, was it visible on the QC pics? I'm assuming not....

Nope. It’s also a very reflective watch. Add about 3 pounds of plastic wrap and it’s impossible.

G

Ahh bugger :( if I pick one up I'm going to specifically ask for up close pics with the plastic removed.

The more I look at your pics the more I'm feeling to pull the trigger. It's gorgeous.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I’m flooding this thread, but home some of this is helpful. Here’s my biggest issue with this BP:
f95c9387c28f2b24162326c86e235380.jpg

I inquired with the TD for a solution and he said “it’ll wear away slowly.” That was a double bummer for me. It means I’m not getting a solution and/or the plating doesn’t last on these things.

That is easliy removed with some 600 grit sandpaper. Practice first on a spare link or a junk bracelet. Once you get accustomed to working with the metal, you will gain confidence and can easily work a thin strip of sandpaper back and forth in a precise location. If the sanding doesn't leave a proper brushed look, tape off the center SEL and rebrush the outer SEL link with a thin strip of Scotchbrite.

15348766540121.jpg

15348766651262.jpg

15347745996510.jpg

15347293236711.jpg

Reactions: Nivka and robvs

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It might wear off if it wasn't in a spot that NEVER gets any contact, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobel and robvs

vince_hiro

Renowned Member
14/7/16
Wonder will the GMF come out with a root beer with CHS and correct bezel. I guess is it a matter of time.

Reactions: KJ2020

robvs

Known Member
8/7/14
Wonder will the GMF come out with a root beer with CHS and correct bezel. I guess is it a matter of time.

I’m interested in the process of the factories coming out with corrected versions. What do you think the TDs report back to the factories about comments? Or are they just a self-correcting entity? And I wonder what prompts corrections, good sales or poor sales?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I’m interested in the process of the factories coming out with corrected versions. What do you think the TDs report back to the factories about comments? Or are they just a self-correcting entity? And I wonder what prompts corrections, good sales or poor sales?

They fix one thing and mess something else up. This trend is too consistent for it to be accidental. They know customers will frequently buy the newest model looking for the perfect rep. Noob could easily have stopped with the V6s Sub but then they wouldn't have sold those million worth of 7, 8, and 9's.

Reactions: Nivka
G

^ this X 1,000,000

They have no intention of fixing issues when the community raises them. What will happen is they will fix whatever people are complaining about and at the same time introduce a change elsewhere. Their business model is to yield as much profit as possible. I'm quite certain they could produce a NWBIG rep for a huge proportion of watches out there (barring things like complicated movements, etc) but it's not in their interests to do that. How many versions of the AP Diver did we have?! And how many pieces do we have that really are NWBIG? Very few and far between. Unfortunately it's part of the game and most of the time we have to balance up the pro's and con's of each factories versions to find a medium, acceptable ground.

G

The bezel on the previous BP batch seems to have the brown touching the 8. Did BP somehow downgrade the bezel in this new batch?

I'm in agreement here. Having looked at countless pictures of the gen on Instagram the "red" of the insert slightly touches the '8' of the number 18 and also the '6'.

BP seem to have this on the 2836 version but not on the CHS that's just been released. Now that I've seen it I can't unsee it :(

GMF have now started to put out CHS versions so fingers crossed!

mOrLoC89

Known Member
15/2/19
I'm in agreement here. Having looked at countless pictures of the gen on Instagram the "red" of the insert slightly touches the '8' of the number 18 and also the '6'.

BP seem to have this on the 2836 version but not on the CHS that's just been released. Now that I've seen it I can't unsee it :(

GMF have now started to put out CHS versions so fingers crossed!

I just ordered GMF Version at PureTime:

https://puretimewatch.io/gmt-master...-gm-best-edition-on-ss-rg-bracelet-a2836.html

Fingers crossed- maybe the have the correct Hand stack in QC Pics - i will update when received!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk