• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF 116506 Ice Blue

alvedon

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
30/12/14
If anyone held a gen Plat Daytona they would call this out in a heartbeat. The gen weighs like a smaller brick!

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
ARF seems to be slowing down still no signs of the 15202 and the 116506 ice blue no idea whats going on?

grafixen

Horology Curious
18/6/18
Here's a simple differentiation between NOOB vs ARF
=> ARF: mimics the 116506 PLATINUM version. Simply because ARF has added all the Platinum certified stamps on the back of the watch.
In which case the major give away would be the SEL not protruding like in the platinum version as shown here: https://www.chrono24.sg/rolex/dayton...-id9089913.htm

=> Noob: mimics the 116520 stainless steel version because of the lack of the stamps as described above
In which case the major give away would be the bezel fonts. "UNITS PER HOUR" is narrower on the new bezels. The old ones seem to be a bit more on the regular side.
You can see a reference at this link: https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/dayto...-id7528854.htm as described by KJ2020.
Or if you do a quick Google search here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Dayto...-/263416360449

Accuracy wise, I'd say Noob is closer because there is NO SUNBURST on the sub dials on the stainless steel version (and nobody would ever notice even if there was). And the bezel is easily replaceable. Whereas getting a protruding platinum looking bracelet is a bit harder or much more expensive...

Last edited:

Fat Dave

1/6/13
Australia
=> ARF: mimics the 116506 PLATINUM version. Simply because ARF has added all the Platinum certified stamps on the back of the watch.
In which case the major give away would be the SEL not protruding like in the platinum version as shown here: https://www.chrono24.sg/rolex/dayton...-id9089913.htm

=> Noob: mimics the 116520 stainless steel version because of the lack of the stamps as described above
In which case the major give away would be the bezel fonts. "UNITS PER HOUR" is narrower on the new bezels. The old ones seem to be a bit more on the regular side.
You can see a reference at this link: https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/dayto...-id7528854.htm as described by KJ2020.
Or if you do a quick Google search here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Dayto...-/263416360449

Accuracy wise, I'd say Noob is closer because there is NO SUNBURST on the sub dials on the stainless steel version (and nobody would ever notice even if there was). And the bezel is easily replaceable. Whereas getting a protruding platinum looking bracelet is a bit harder or much more expensive...

Did Rolex secretly release an ice blue stainless steel version? Or are you looking at "custom" versions that have been modified with either a gen or custom dial and bezel. Most of the 116520 models I've seen with an ice blue dial clearly state "custom", and even those that didn't specify generally feature a dial and bezel look like hell.

I only know of ice blue in the 116506, post-2013, and I understood that Rolex only uses ice blue on Platinum models (which also have a different case shape).

And all of the genuine Rolex 116506 ice blue dials have sunburst subdials.

Reactions: vcappp

RTL2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/18
This is a very striking watch. Does anyone know if the 4130 movement is proprietary to Noob, or will other manufacturers have access to it?

grafixen

Horology Curious
18/6/18
Did Rolex secretly release an ice blue stainless steel version? Or are you looking at "custom" versions that have been modified with either a gen or custom dial and bezel. Most of the 116520 models I've seen with an ice blue dial clearly state "custom", and even those that didn't specify generally feature a dial and bezel look like hell.

I only know of ice blue in the 116506, post-2013, and I understood that Rolex only uses ice blue on Platinum models (which also have a different case shape).

And all of the genuine Rolex 116506 ice blue dials have sunburst subdials.

You are correct. I just checked, Daytona's pre 2016 never had ceramic bezel on their stainless steel versions. So yes the ice blue on Stainless Steel is custom. I stand corrected.

On a side note and on personal point of view, I think you can easily get away with the Noob version and not the ARF version.
The platinum version of the watch weighs around 230 to 260grams, and the bracelet has a certain shine on it. Hard to describe.
On top of that, taking the thickness and the wrong movement into account... the Noob still has the upper hand on this version of the watch.

Reactions: vcappp

grafixen

Horology Curious
18/6/18
Noob has the wrong subdials Instant tell for me

You must have hawk eyes to be able to distinguish the subdials from a distant :) But then for me, the bracelet on the ARF is also an instant tell.
In the end, wether you go with Noob or ARF, I think it all comes down to what you can think will give it away.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

What are you talking about??

where on earth does noobs Version mimic a SS Daytona? It has a 116506 case with plat hallmarks and also the correct lug shape. It looks nothing like a 116520. only the SEL is wrong which is a turn off and looking like SS Daytona.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This is a very striking watch. Does anyone know if the 4130 movement is proprietary to Noob, or will other manufacturers have access to it?
[h=2]4130 MOVEMENT[/h] [h=3]Model features[/h]
The Cosmograph Daytona is equipped with calibre 4130, a self-winding mechanical chronograph movement entirely developed and manufactured by Rolex. Its architecture incorporates far fewer components than a standard chronograph, thereby enhancing the movement’s reliability. Like all Rolex Perpetual movements, the 4130 is a certified Swiss chronometer, a designation reserved for high-precision watches that have successfully passed the Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute (COSC) tests. The chronograph movement features a Parachrom hairspring, offering greater resistance to shocks and to temperature variations.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Am I the only person that actually prefers the ARF recessed Sels to the Gen protruding ones?

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

'ARF; Better Than Gen'™️

Reactions: Therion666

grafixen

Horology Curious
18/6/18
What are you talking about??

where on earth does noobs Version mimic a SS Daytona? It has a 116506 case with plat hallmarks and also the correct lug shape. It looks nothing like a 116520. only the SEL is wrong which is a turn off and looking like SS Daytona.

My bad again. Most of the TD's pictures show the ice blue without the hallmarks, hence my conclusion.

RTL2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/18
[h=2]4130 MOVEMENT[/h] [h=3]Model features[/h]
The Cosmograph Daytona is equipped with calibre 4130, a self-winding mechanical chronograph movement entirely developed and manufactured by Rolex. Its architecture incorporates far fewer components than a standard chronograph, thereby enhancing the movement’s reliability. Like all Rolex Perpetual movements, the 4130 is a certified Swiss chronometer, a designation reserved for high-precision watches that have successfully passed the Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute (COSC) tests. The chronograph movement features a Parachrom hairspring, offering greater resistance to shocks and to temperature variations.

Thanks for the post - I was meaning have Noob an exclusive use of the clone, or is it available to the likes of ARF?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the post - I was meaning have Noob an exclusive use of the clone, or is it available to the likes of ARF?

Noob is the only one using the clone 4130. They developed it and understandably are keeping it to themselves.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Am I the only person that actually prefers the ARF recessed Sels to the Gen protruding ones?

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

'ARF; Better Than Gen'™️

It's one thing to like a rep feature better than a gen's feature for your own pleasure. It's another matter entirely to display it in public, especially around people who know better.

BTW, not sure what year this was implemented but ALL precious metal Daytonas now have the protruding SEL's beyond the lugs. Maybe somebody will rep these bracelets. (Not showing Platinum).

Yellow Gold
Yellow_gold_Medium.jpg

Rose Gold
Rose_gold_Medium.jpg

White Gold
White_gold_Medium.jpg