• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

116500 ARF v2 - crown doesn't go all the way in

Calibre16

31/1/12
Just received my beautiful ARF Daytona today, but was a little sad to discover that the crown doesn't screw all the way in.

is there an easy solution for this or am I out of luck here?

zV3ws.jpg

zVmph.jpg

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The tube needs to be countersunk in the case.

Calibre16

31/1/12
What exactly does that mean?

Has anyone else had this problem with their ARF Daytona?

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
It doesn’t need countersinking as it is clear to see in the picture that the tube has not been screwed in all the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It doesn’t need countersinking as it is clear to see in the picture that the tube has not been screwed in all the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you looked at the first pic - which is the one that counts - you'd see that the base of the tube, just below the gasket, is a long way from the case.

and in the second pic, you'd see that the base of the crown is sitting flush with base/straight sided part of the tube - which is how it should be.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The factory messed up on your tube install bud. Like tripdog said, it was not countersunk enough into the case for the crown to sit flush to the case. To fix it, the movement has to come out, the tube has to be removed and a slightly larger diameter hole needs to be drilled partly into the case to allow a (preferably new, even a gen) tube to be reinserted. The likelihood of ruining the existing tube during removal is high. You could get an aftermarket tube pretty easily as well.

I know it isn't optimal but you may decide to just leave it as is. It really doesn't look bad and there is no increased risk of exposure to your movement. You will probably want to use a modder for this repair unless you are handy and have good tools. Case drilling into SS is not for the unskilled.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What exactly does that mean?

Has anyone else had this problem with their ARF Daytona?

This is not a one-off for ARF. Others have reported the same issue. Your TD would have had to notice it, and more vigilant QC might have prevented it (not meant as a criticism, we all can learn from it).

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
If you looked at the first pic - which is the one that counts - you'd see that the base of the tube, just below the gasket, is a long way from the case.

and in the second pic, you'd see that the base of the crown is sitting flush with base/straight sided part of the tube - which is how it should be.

The reason I said that was because on my ARF DAytona the tube was flat where it flushed to the case and not as gen where it has a 45 degree rebate. That is how it looked to me in the pic.

Calibre16

31/1/12
Thanks for all the good and informative answers.
I have fixed the problem, not in the "right" way but in a way... I found another thread about an ARF Sub with the same problem, so I used his solution simply because it was the simplest way for me, because of the tools I had available.

I simply opened the caseback, removed the shitty rotor and fake movement plate, released the crown and then filed down the end of the tube enough to let the crown screw all the way in. I've also ordered a new rotor, and a new stem because I accidentaly cut the old one slightly too short.

Simple fix that can be done quickly with a minimal set of tools.

Reactions: Alkuhf and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for all the good and informative answers.
I have fixed the problem, not in the "right" way but in a way... I found another thread about an ARF Sub with the same problem, so I used his solution simply because it was the simplest way for me, because of the tools I had available.

I simply opened the caseback, removed the shitty rotor and fake movement plate, released the crown and then filed down the end of the tube enough to let the crown screw all the way in. I've also ordered a new rotor, and a new stem because I accidentaly cut the old one slightly too short.

Simple fix that can be done quickly with a minimal set of tools.

Good job, whatever works. Beats drilling the case and replacing the tube for a DIY.