• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any Rolex rep with decent water resistance OOTB?

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
I've got a beach holiday approaching and I'm not keen to risk either anything genuine which is WR or my newly acquired TC, which I've yet to get WR'd.

Has anyone bought any Rolex reps recently which have held up to swimming straight from the TD? I know this is a gamble but I'm thinking this is as good an excuse as any to try a different style of watch from the subs for a couple of weeks.

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
All arf watches are tested for 3 bar . This was confirmed by angus.

Few folks have been diving with them with no issues

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: watchboi and vcappp

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Water Resistant 30 Meters / 3 Atmospheres / 3 Bar.
If your watch claims to be water resistant to 30 meters, it actually means it's just splash resistant. It does NOT mean the watch will be fine if you bring it 30 metersbelow sea level.

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
WR ratings relate to static WR. As soon as you move in water you can effectively double the pressure. Swimming at surface and upto 2 or three meters really needs 5 bar. Any kind of depth needs 10. at least
That said. I have a pool at home and regularly swim in all my Rolex Reps and I have never had a problem.

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
TDs can water test for a nominal fee. I do this and have no worries when swimming.

Reactions: vcappp

Akra

11/1/17
WR ratings relate to static WR. As soon as you move in water you can effectively double the pressure. Swimming at surface and upto 2 or three meters really needs 5 bar. Any kind of depth needs 10. at least
That said. I have a pool at home and regularly swim in all my Rolex Reps and I have never had a problem.
Apparently that "doubling the amount of pressure" thing is a myth. I read about that somewhere.

Moving your arms when diving (dynamic pressure) accounts for less then a couple % of the actual depth.

obamayomama

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/3/18
Keep in mind that there are no guarantees in the absolute sense. We are taking about cheap things manufactured in factories in China without any sort of pride in quality of workmanship.
The only way to really be certain is to have it tested by a local watch maker.

Dino2018

Patron
Certified
14/3/18
For underwater ventures I use my Seiko SKX 007 and leave the Rolex rep at a dry safe place. I would recommend you buying a proper tool for diving. Mine cost me 199 US at Amazon and for this price is a hell of a watch.

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
For underwater ventures I use my Seiko SKX 007 and leave the Rolex rep at a dry safe place. I would recommend you buying a proper tool for diving. Mine cost me 199 US at Amazon and for this price is a hell of a watch.

Wore Seikos for many years, just not a fan anymore.

Thanks for the replies all, shall see how I go.

Reactions: Dino2018

Daniel1112

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/7/18
New York, USA

I completely agree with this. Every time I'm out on the water, I'm with my SKX009. It might be just me, but I just don't trust my rep to handle any type of water

Reactions: Dino2018

Pombok

12/1/17
Replace your crown tube with a WSO tube for $30 bucks, comes with all gen spec gaskets, loctite the tube thread, grease your gaskets. Quoting another forum member, your crown should be tighter than Tom Thumbs’s cheerio.

Very very few watches should leak from a compressed crystal.

Pombok

12/1/17
Repeating some good information from our tech section;

Replace your crown tube with a WSO tube for $30 bucks, comes with all gen spec gaskets, loctite the tube thread, grease your gaskets. Quoting another forum member, your crown should be tighter than Tom Thumbs’s cheerio.

Make sure your case back gasket is properly greased and case back tightened up.

Greased gaskets are key, metal on metal in not waterproof, not even a screwed down crown.

Very very few watches should leak from a properly fitted crystal.

Always get your watches pressure tested to at least 5atm before swimming.

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
Anything with a screw down crown and screw down caseback SHOULD fare better than a watch with pushers. HEV valves also leak so.... best to test it before doing anything

Dino2018

Patron
Certified
14/3/18
I completely agree with this. Every time I'm out on the water, I'm with my SKX009. It might be just me, but I just don't trust my rep to handle any type of water

I plan to build a proper sub using a Swiss Made Startime case, that should be waterproof, and take it to my watchmisth to do a water test. I guess that is the only way. Cheers and enjoy your Seiko!

saxo

Renowned Member
21/3/16
My ARF SD43 held up well for fishing which required my arm to go underwater. But each time was just a quick submerge, wouldn't recommend reps to be WR. I just got lucky I guess?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

newrepper

13/6/18
I went in the pool a few times with my NOOB Yacht Master with no issues.