• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF Submariner today but something wrong

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
Awesome thread thanks! The QC on my watch looks to have this issue as well. Glad there is a fix even though I don’t think I’m competent enough to do it my self. I’m sure my modder can do it :)

kyle4311

Horology Curious
26/11/18
I just received my ARF 904L 116610LN 2824 from PureTime. Same issue. I brought it up in QC, but they just said it is what it is, which I guess I understand. Now I find myself really wanting to get this crown down a bit closer to the case because I'm a bit OCD about it. Is there any simpler way to do this? Do both the tube and stem need to be cut? Or perhaps just one or the other? Can one just get a different crown? Can the gasket inside the crown be cut or removed? Will the stem damage the movement if any depth modification like that is made without an equal trim to the stem? I've never even taken the case back off a watch on my own before so I'm not a big fan of trying any DIY like this at all to be honest. Any other suggestions or recommendations are very appreciated!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I just received my ARF 904L 116610LN 2824 from PureTime. Same issue. I brought it up in QC, but they just said it is what it is, which I guess I understand. Now I find myself really wanting to get this crown down a bit closer to the case because I'm a bit OCD about it. Is there any simpler way to do this? Do both the tube and stem need to be cut? Or perhaps just one or the other? Can one just get a different crown? Can the gasket inside the crown be cut or removed? Will the stem damage the movement if any depth modification like that is made without an equal trim to the stem? I've never even taken the case back off a watch on my own before so I'm not a big fan of trying any DIY like this at all to be honest. Any other suggestions or recommendations are very appreciated!

Is there any simpler way to do this? No

Do both the tube and stem need to be cut? Probably

Or perhaps just one or the other? Tube needs to be filed down to use this solution, it's better if you also shorten the stem

Can one just get a different crown? You could but it won't fix this issue

Can the gasket inside the crown be cut or removed? Yes, but that is not a wise option as it's there to prevent moisture intrusion

Will the stem damage the movement if any depth modification like that is made without an equal trim to the stem? Possibly but it's more likely that the stem would have undue stress on it which could lead to stem breakage, or it will force the dial to shift back and forth in the case with use and create a wear ring on it.

Suggestions:
Live with it as a 'character flaw', many gen Subs have a slight gap there due to the tube gasket.

Let someone else with experience do this.

Failing that,

Make a ball of masking tape sticky side out to open the back.

Remove the stem properly so you don't foul the keyless works - stem removal is done with the stem in the time setting position. Use a 1.2mm screwdriver so the ledges around the release button keep the screwdriver from pushing the button down too far.

Take the movement out before filing the tube down. Put the back on and plug up the stem hole tightly and be careful about no filings getting inside.

Just go ahead and trim the stem the same amount as the gap, then you don't have to worry about stem issues.

https://blog.esslinger.com/how-to-replace-a-watch-stem/

Next time don't allow your TD to talk you into taking a watch that was not assembled correctly. Hard to do I know, we've all been there. This is your consequence.

Reactions: Vvvlllooo

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
Stem needs to trim same as tube or else it will not stay in place. It’s not hard just file down and screw crown on till desired gap, gen has small gap make sure crown doesn’t touch casing too. Then file stem to where it sits and lock properly. Blow sand dust with air from inside to get rid of all debris

Stratoblaster

Known Member
29/9/16
Looks Great!! I'm loving my similar ARF w/2824. Can any of you more seasoned guys tell me of this cyclops os 3x, or if the font is the slightly bolder ARF font?
ARF3b.jpg

Here's a pic with unknown origin w/ SA3135? on left, and newer ARF on right.
ARF-NOOB.jpg

Renowned Member
9/12/18
Looks Great!! I'm loving my similar ARF w/2824. Can any of you more seasoned guys tell me of this cyclops os 3x, or if the font is the slightly bolder ARF font?
ARF3b.jpg

Here's a pic with unknown origin w/ SA3135? on left, and newer ARF on right.
ARF-NOOB.jpg

These are the common issues we see on the new batch of ARF sub and SD43

Personally, I updated my SD43 to prof crystal and it looks perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stratoblaster

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
^ Yes that cyclops mag is way too big. I cant believe ARF are still using the incorrect mag cyclops? Havent they run out yet - its been years since they started doing this and its still not fixed? WTF is going on.

Reactions: Stratoblaster

iang27

4/12/15
UK
The stem and tube issue was discussed thoroughly on the long ARF 116610 thread ages ago.

As far as I can remember the same ‘fix’ was illustrated but it’s a massive thread so I’m not sure where in the thread it is mentioned.

Mine is the same and I would like to do it but I am a little wary !

Do you have pictures of where to file the stem ?

Stratoblaster

Known Member
29/9/16
Thank you guys for giving your thoughts. (Sorry to OP, not trying to hijack any thread). Some dates are more prominent than others. But next to Noob V7, and other good rep with unknown origins, the font looks super bold. (Just didn't know if was font itself or 3x cyclops.)

Nicolai07

Looking Around
23/11/19
Hello all,

I hope someone can help. I have the sea-dweller arf V3. I thread of the tube is broken. I have a new replacement crown but I need a tube which fits to the ARV case and the arf crown. Does anyone know where to get one?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hello all,

I hope someone can help. I have the sea-dweller arf V3. I thread of the tube is broken. I have a new replacement crown but I need a tube which fits to the ARV case and the arf crown. Does anyone know where to get one?

Try Raffles dials, Yuki, ebay. You will need to measure your tube to get an exact fit replacement. It may require you to remove the tube to get the measurements. It will be easiest for tube removal and replacement if you have a proper tool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
​​​​​​

Last edited:

Nicolai07

Looking Around
23/11/19
Ok, butt how can I see which thread it is on the tube after removing it?
i can see how big the tube is, butt in case of the thread I don't know.

reptime101

15/9/18
Jesus christ, glad i canceled my order. The date wheels on the v2 and v3 are a joke. looks like something from alibaba

Reactions: KJ2020

Nicolai07

Looking Around
23/11/19
It can't be possible that the dweller arf V3 is the only watch with this tube size and thread...