• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF Submariner today but something wrong

Pelagic

Renowned Member
30/8/07
I'm interested in the tube seating, if it can be seated more deeply and how. Hope someone with experience will chime in.

If you are going that deep into working on the watch. I suggest installing a gen tube and crown. The case will have to be tapped as the thread pattern is not the same, the case will have to be countersunk or the gen tube will have to be machined on a lathe to sit correct on the case as the tube is tapered.

Here is one I did on a ARF sd 43. The rep tube only had one gasket and was not seated correctly.

Rep tube single gasket slot
ee8ffc0272141872d2c2f54d134b6e08.jpg

d30ec51ab9a8d75629f01f2424f1769b.jpg
17b68b5acdedb3e6d36db295cc34335d.jpg

Reactions: KJ2020

Pelagic

Renowned Member
30/8/07
One other thing you don’t want the crown to screw tight against the midcase. I like it to sit out .5-1mm so the o ring in the crown properly seats.

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
One other thing you don’t want the crown to screw tight against the midcase. I like it to sit out .5-1mm so the o ring in the crown properly seats.

looking really nice there buddy. cant wait for my attempt. looking at your pics i can def shave .5mm off the end tube to get the crown to sit closer, close enough at least, thanks for your input.

Pelagic

Renowned Member
30/8/07
looking really nice there buddy. cant wait for my attempt. looking at your pics i can def shave .5mm off the end tube to get the crown to sit closer, close enough at least, thanks for your input.

I would not shave the outside of the tube if that’s what you’re thinking of doing.

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
Finally got my Rolex case back tool and got around to doing my crown mod. The crown was sticking out way way too much like a sore thumb and I couldn’t wear a super rep with that issue until resolved. I got the gap down to a little over half of what it started at and very satisfied with the result. Even gen have a gap so I believe my gap is super close to gen. See pics

Reactions: KJ2020

Yunnah

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/10/16
Nice job! I'm waiting for the same version of this rep to be delivered to me. I could see a slight gap on QC pic, but realised it's a macro shot and I maybe worrying too much, so approved the QC, hopefully the postman will be knock, knock, knocking on the door soon :)

I'm nowhere near competent enough to mod if I had the same issue tho....

Reactions: tandy

lukko

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
20/11/12
Italy
If you are going that deep into working on the watch. I suggest installing a gen tube and crown. The case will have to be tapped as the thread pattern is not the same, the case will have to be countersunk or the gen tube will have to be machined on a lathe to sit correct on the case as the tube is tapered.

Here is one I did on a ARF sd 43. The rep tube only had one gasket and was not seated correctly.

Rep tube single gasket slot
ee8ffc0272141872d2c2f54d134b6e08.jpg

d30ec51ab9a8d75629f01f2424f1769b.jpg
17b68b5acdedb3e6d36db295cc34335d.jpg

people here do not understand that this is actually partially correct as an effect because even the gen is like that. To install this tube as you intend it should be removed the tube and countersunk the hole. But be careful, it should not be done too much because the tube must stay exactly with its curve out, just as it is now. He just has to get in a bit. Steam has nothing to do with it, and I do not understand why the people above have talked about steam.

I’ve also do this with my BP SD to accept Gen tube

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
Finally got my Rolex case back tool and got around to doing my crown mod. The crown was sticking out way way too much like a sore thumb and I couldn’t wear a super rep with that issue until resolved. I got the gap down to a little over half of what it started at and very satisfied with the result. Even gen have a gap so I believe my gap is super close to gen. See pics

So what was the fix ?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
great observation, that would be a bigger issue. To check this, the stem could be removed from the crown or the movement removed from the case, then attempt to screw the crown flush to the case. If it fits flush the stem is too long. If it fits like it does now, the tube is not fully seated.

^^^ this ^^^^

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
When did you get this ARF sub? Just a few days ago? Yours looks pretty damn good. Correct date wheel magnification as well.

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
I ordered my sub a month ago, I provide the wrong address so it was sent back to China then resent back to me took 5 weeks total for shipping twice lol but yes this ARF does look good except that crown gap but now it’s fix, wearing it proud now

ExOmegaFan

26/7/18
Germany
I ordered my sub a month ago, I provide the wrong address so it was sent back to China then resent back to me took 5 weeks total for shipping twice lol but yes this ARF does look good except that crown gap but now it’s fix, wearing it proud now

You just made me validate my shipping address.... :)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Remove stem, shave crown tube end to near O ring, shave stem equal length of what’s remove from tube, buff sharp metal and reinstall. Wasn’t hard just time consuming

Good job, easier than a tube replacement I figure.