• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What sort of diamond is used on reps?

JumpiterT

Known Member
1/5/18
Hi Guys, I always wondered what sort of diamonds do they use on reps? artificial diamonds are not cheap either. unless they're just using cz or crystals?

Thanks,

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Glass or low grade cz

Reactions: johnlogan

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
There is a High grade ?

The difference between a low and high grade CZ is like the difference between a dump and a good dump.

Still not understand can you explain more about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Alot BS from what i reading here. Proper repfactories will use great quality stones. Nameless factories (the kinds you find on Ali or DHgate) use terrible low grade stones. When you buy a Noob, JF, DM factory rep you get a very sparkly one (hence the price is always from $600)

The cheaper full iced reps around the ~200/300$ which use ''glass'' looking stones.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Alot BS from what i reading here. Proper repfactories will use great quality stones. Nameless factories (the kinds you find on Ali or DHgate) use terrible low grade stones. When you buy a Noob, JF, DM factory rep you get a very sparkly one (hence the price is always from $600)

The cheaper full iced reps around the ~200/300$ which use ''glass'' looking stones.

What quality stones? All cz stones are similar in that they won't last more than 3 years and are astonishingly cheap ($0.1 per sesame-sized cz). middle east stones are even worse. If you really want to imitate the appearance of a diamond, try the soviet stones. the soviet stones are closer to gen diamond appearance but won't last either as their surface hardness are terrible. If you have the need to use your replica-diamond-paved watch, use the soviet stones. They would suffice if you use your watch 2 times a year for 3 to 5 years. After 5 years you will see a lot of scratches on your "diamonds" and you will have to throw it out of the window. Already far better than CZ since they at least look like the part. Any of these won't fool an experienced jeweler anyways.

If you choose to go cz, be prepared to say "sorry my diamonds are sick today, they don't refect certain colors of light/ they are even more shiny than your average diamond." before someone in the know.

Reactions: QueTip

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

Not true brother. I have had several, as you would say, good stone watches in my hands and also removed stones of some and looked at them with my jeweller. They're horribly crap.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
What quality stones? All cz stones are similar in that they won't last more than 3 years and are astonishingly cheap ($0.1 per sesame-sized cz). middle east stones are even worse. If you really want to imitate the appearance of a diamond, try the soviet stones. the soviet stones are closer to gen diamond appearance but won't last either as their surface hardness are terrible. If you have the need to use your replica-diamond-paved watch, use the soviet stones. They would suffice if you use your watch 2 times a year for 3 to 5 years. After 5 years you will see a lot of scratches on your "diamonds" and you will have to throw it out of the window. Already far better than CZ since they at least look like the part. Any of these won't fool an experienced jeweler anyways.

If you choose to go cz, be prepared to say "sorry my diamonds are sick today, they don't refect certain colors of light/ they are even more shiny than your average diamond." before someone in the know.

:lmao: Thanks

JMK

13/2/18
A good jeweler can replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
A good jeweler can replace them.

A good jeweller won't even get his hands anywhere near a fake watch with CZs on it. ;)

Reactions: johnlogan

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Not true brother. I have had several, as you would say, good stone watches in my hands and also removed stones of some and looked at them with my jeweller. They're horribly crap.

All the fully iced reps i had were sparkly af. Also the current R8 Factory PP Nautilus i have on my wrist is eye blinding.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
All the fully iced reps i had were sparkly af. Also the current R8 Factory PP Nautilus i have on my wrist is eye blinding.

They may be sparkly but that's not the only classification of a diamond. In fact, CZs catch and give light very different from a real diamond, also they are too sparkly. Look at a CZ next to a real diamond up close, and you'll see what we mean. This discussion has been had before in a different thread and believe me when I tell you that this is one of the discussions that has tired me probably more than the who has the best sub question.
Especially since so many people are talking out of their asses yet they haven't ever held a real gem in their hand let alone know anything about them. Do not take that against you brother, this is just a general opinion about the discussions that I have had about this topic in the past.

Reactions: tmp2018

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
They may be sparkly but that's not the only classification of a diamond. In fact, CZs catch and give light very different from a real diamond, also they are too sparkly. Look at a CZ next to a real diamond up close, and you'll see what we mean. This discussion has been had before in a different thread and believe me when I tell you that this is one of the discussions that has tired me probably more than the who has the best sub question.
Especially since so many people are talking out of their asses yet they haven't ever held a real gem in their hand let alone know anything about them. Do not take that against you brother, this is just a general opinion about the discussions that I have had about this topic in the past.

No worries bro, but calling these reps complete crap is also a bit to harsh. I think alot of people never ever held a real diamond so its same comparison when you are not holding a gen.

Yes you know how real diamonds should look in a watch 80% wont notice it :) just my opinion and 2c on this whole thread.

https://youtu.be/K2-uT_9hWrs

https://youtu.be/PnqB0eOxZK8

https://youtu.be/eRE_afyPSrg

Reactions: MFisc

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
The statement that 99% doesn't know about watches holds water because there are too many variants of watches, but there are only a few variants for stones. Replica diamonds can be classified into several categories: soviet stones (cubic zirconia, purely artificial), cz stones, middle east stones, SW crystals (alias Austria stones), and glasses, and a few more. You can see the number of the variants is very limited and an average girl, if interested in jewelry, can get to know all of these rep stone variants without much effort. She can even buy each of them to spot the difference if she likes. Most of them are cheap and easy to get.

I mean, you may pass it off someday as gen, but the risks of being called out on fake diamonds are just very high. It says something when a lady notices her fake diamond ring shines the same way as the watch on your wrist or your girlfriend notices there are a few scratches on your "diamonds". If your watch hits something hard, your "diamonds" may get scratches too. Some may break and show a cross section of yellowish or greenish color. It would be very funny. Then the ladies around you will just say wow and nothing else.

I am reluctant to replica gems because a random non-expert person has the chance to spot a fake, which is nearly impossible for rep watches.

Last edited:
Reactions: tmp2018 and QueTip

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
I would never get a diamond dial/bezel on any rep for me or my wife etc. and I would not endorse any of these reps as they are ridiculous.

However! If you have a simple DJ rep or gen, you can get a high quality aftermarket bezel.. maybe not the best quality but it is likely better than the rep factory stones. I think they are called lab created diamonds, or something like that.

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
CZ are brighter than Diamonds but thats not the point, that is like being yellower than Gold. The reason for that is then have a greater dispersion of white light , despite having a lower refractive index. The whole point is to look like a diamond (which they don't ) rather than some tinsel on a christmas tree (which they do) A CZ is 8.5 on th Mohs scale which is nearly as hard as sapphire, so they should last. Will never look anything like a diamond though.
I don't get all this middle east and Soviet stuff. A CZ is man made and doesn't care which country it is made in, it will be the same where ever you make it.

Reactions: tr573 and QueTip