• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Waterproofing service

RMlover69

Horology Curious
8/12/17
looking to get a repped waterproofed, anyone know someone?

Cooldaddyfunk286

20/6/18
NY
I believe a local watchsmith can do this for you in about 10-15 minutes for a pretty low price. I guess it depends on which watch you want waterproofed. Some are that way by design and only require a test of the waterproof by placing it in a pressure chamber. Also some lube (not sure which is best, I'd like to know as well) on the o rings. But like I said I guess it all depends on the watch. If it's a model meant for water, and u bought the best version available, just a pressure test should do. This is all what I've learned/been told.

Reactions: Cadows

RMlover69

Horology Curious
8/12/17
beauty thanks, I want to get my Sub No date waterproofed! Really helpful!

Cooldaddyfunk286

20/6/18
NY
That's why I like my sub rep. It's seen lots of water lately. I'm astonished at how well it's been in the water. Just make sure to have this done first.

RMlover69

Horology Curious
8/12/17
perfect, thanks! what rating did they give you when they waterproofed it? Above 3 atm?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
There isn't such a thing as a water proofing service because water proof watches don't exist.

Your watch is probably splash resistant, changing and greasing the gaskets, checking everything fits as it should may make it OK for swimming. A little more work with sealing the crystal, tube etc may make it OK for snorkelling/very shallow diving.
Going past that - 200m/20 ATM WR will depend greatly on how well the case has been made, especially the machining tolerances on the case back/case threads and the area around the crystal and rehaut.