• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Question] v6s hulk rotor/winding problems?

Repwatchesv1

Horology Curious
10/2/16
Hey guys,

I have a concern with with regards to my noob v6s 3135 clone. I have weird things happening to it just recently... 1.)I have suspicions my watch stops running...but not due to the power reserve being depleted, but it gets caught with maybe a faulty piece and gently (sometimes not so gently) tapping the watch seems to get the hiccup out of the way 2.) the rotor makes a cloud clicking noise when shaking, and 3.) when winding, it has more of a tough grinding feel and clicks maybe 4 times per full wind rotation of the crown. I’m not sure what is goin on or what you guys can do to help diagnose what’s wrong or even what I can do to get it fixed. I can post pics if need be. Thanks

Repwatchesv1

Horology Curious
10/2/16
Okay so I found the reason for the clicking noise when self winding with the rotor. There is the purple gear that when you wind the watch with the rotor, it doesn’t move sometimes, it clicks back making a clacking noise. I’ll send a picture (or video if I can) to indicate which one

Repwatchesv1

Horology Curious
10/2/16
Well, I guess imgur doesn’t let me use sound and im too tired to figure it out. But you can see the purple bit on the gear clicks back and makes a clicking noise (believe me). I’m not sure if it’s a matter of a loose screw? https://imgur.com/gallery/Ws7EwON

Cooldaddyfunk286

20/6/18
NY
My v9 has had some of these issues, I just don't know how to explain it to anyone. I took the caseback off and it all looked in working order, so I wrote it off. But yeah sometimes I can hear the rotor swinging, sometimes I hear nothing, sometimes I hear a noise like a loose screw, but like I said I checked it out (not that I REALLY know what I'm looking at) but yeah, I have felt the same way, except mine winds very very smoothly, sometimes it seems like I get 12 hours or less, sometimes I don't have to reset it for weeks. I was going to drop a spec of oil on the rotors pivot and see if that helps it not sound "hung up" sometimes. I'll also add, sometimes when I tighten up my wrist I don't hear the "loose screw"sound, so I chalked that up to bracelet noise, but when I shake the watch like I said, sometimes I can hear the rotor spinning (most times) but sometimes it feels like it's getting hung up by something because I don't hear it.

What type of oil do we use for watch movements? Brand and type would be awesome.

Other v9 users, how long have you let your watch sit idle without it stopping? Let's be honest.

Thanks guys, to the OP, glad you made a post on this.

Repwatchesv1

Horology Curious
10/2/16
My v9 has had some of these issues, I just don't know how to explain it to anyone. I took the caseback off and it all looked in working order, so I wrote it off. But yeah sometimes I can hear the rotor swinging, sometimes I hear nothing, sometimes I hear a noise like a loose screw, but like I said I checked it out (not that I REALLY know what I'm looking at) but yeah, I have felt the same way, except mine winds very very smoothly, sometimes it seems like I get 12 hours or less, sometimes I don't have to reset it for weeks. I was going to drop a spec of oil on the rotors pivot and see if that helps it not sound "hung up" sometimes. I'll also add, sometimes when I tighten up my wrist I don't hear the "loose screw"sound, so I chalked that up to bracelet noise, but when I shake the watch like I said, sometimes I can hear the rotor spinning (most times) but sometimes it feels like it's getting hung up by something because I don't hear it.

What type of oil do we use for watch movements? Brand and type would be awesome.

Other v9 users, how long have you let your watch sit idle without it stopping? Let's be honest.

Thanks guys, to the OP, glad you made a post on this.

Just an update on where I am right now...The manual winding from the crown is back to normal, I'm not sure if that has to do with the fact that it was wound up already or what but its fine (really weird). Also, I think the problem with the clicking noise when the counterweight goes around is coming from the purple looking gear. I believe that's called the reverse gear? Don't quote me on that, I honestly don't really know whats going on.

So when the counterweight goes around to wind the watch, the reverse gear moves but clicks back to make that noise, if that's a common issue...This has just happened recently and I do not believe that this has happened before...Hopefully this post can be seen by others so that if they have this same problem it can be heard and hopefully, it can be fixed.

Cooldaddyfunk286

20/6/18
NY
I took my case back off again, everything is tight and free swinging like it should be. Maybe could use a drop or 2 of oil.

Can anyone recommend what oil to drop on the rotor pivot? Also what is used to grease the seals? I'd really appreciate it if someone can answer those 2 questions!

Thanks guys!!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I took my case back off again, everything is tight and free swinging like it should be. Maybe could use a drop or 2 of oil.

Can anyone recommend what oil to drop on the rotor pivot? Also what is used to grease the seals? I'd really appreciate it if someone can answer those 2 questions!

Thanks guys!!

Watch lubricants are a hotly debated issue. The correct lubricants are ridiculously expensive and many hobbyists use cheaper alternatives. You can look here for some info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WatchHorology/comments/7mc26a/watch_oil_on_a_budget_yes_i_know/

You are supposed to use Moebius 9010 on the rotor bearings. Since it's ~$30 for 2 ounces, you "can" use Novostar B, which is much cheaper. I've read about people using 3-in-1 oil (like sewing machine oil) also. Apply it VERY sparingly, tiny little drops. You should NOT use silicone grease on watch parts - it is very effective in silencing rotor noise, but it will contaminate cleaning fluids when the watch is serviced.

Silicone grease is used to grease the seals. You can buy a $3-4 tube from Home Depot that will last forever. Put a blob between your fingers and rub the seal back and forth to leave a light but thorough coating over the entire length.

Reactions: Cooldaddyfunk286

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
Mines always been similar , I took a look and seemed to be the rotor was catching slightly now and again making the noise but don't know enough about these movements to know what a suitable replacement would be. I read somewhere that you can't just replace the rotor

Cooldaddyfunk286

20/6/18
NY
Interesting. I can hear my rotor getting stuck occasionally, but when I removed caseback, twice so far, everything is moving perfect and free. I DID notice a little manufacture flaw on the bottom thread of the caseback, like a little ding the size of a pin head, maybe when all the way screwed down, the rotor snags that little chip on the inside of the CB thread? Threads on smooth, but I'm thinking this may be it. Maybe I can file it. Problem is, I have no tools, I JUST got into watches, let alone automatic watches.

Thanks KJ as always! I'm familiar with the process and the deal with little BITS of oil and grease, I own some top shelf custom folding knives (Rick Hinderer) and they require greased rings too, but they are plastic paper thin washers, not orings, but I'm very familiar with these too from half my lifetime with hydroponics. But on the knives washers, you use flourinated silicon grease, it's white. And a pin head is all you use. I wonder if it's applicable, but it's not no waterproof properties to it, so I'll stick w the propper stuff.

Thanks!