• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob Daytona vs ARF Daytona

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
I plan on wearing my ARF DAYTONA daily as soon as I receive it. Will I have any issues with the auto winding? Will I need to constantly mannually wind it each day?

Hopefully :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every few day you will need to manual wind it,you must remove deco plate because you have glued screws on deco what can fall in the movement,and arf stock rotor is very light and loud...when you put havier rotor you dont need to manual wind it anymore

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
For me it was never an option to buy the ARF. At the end of the day, it’s a watch with the wrong movement..... that would irritate me on a daily basis. The noob is in my opinion the only correct replica of the Daytona and on the wrist you are never gonna notice the tiny things we obsess about on blown up macros ????

Reactions: shaKi47

HotNHorny

Known Member
21/7/19
For me it was never an option to buy the ARF. At the end of the day, it’s a watch with the wrong movement..... that would irritate me on a daily basis. The noob is in my opinion the only correct replica of the Daytona and on the wrist you are never gonna notice the tiny things we obsess about on blown up macros ????

I don't plan on using the Cosmograph. I got the daytona specifically because I like the style and I personally think the daytona is the best looking watch there is.

Because of that, I chose the ARF as it is also much less than the NOOB despite the NOOB having the real rep movement.

Whats the difference in movement anyway aside from non functional 3 and 9 dials?

ashu2289

I'm Pretty Popular
16/6/13
I plan on wearing my ARF DAYTONA daily as soon as I receive it. Will I have any issues with the auto winding? Will I need to constantly mannually wind it each day?

Hopefully :(

don't worry mate, it winds good and you wouldn't have to wind it every day. It would autowind perfectly like any other automatics. power reserve should be around 36-40 hrs from my experience.
cheers!!!

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I don't plan on using the Cosmograph. I got the daytona specifically because I like the style and I personally think the daytona is the best looking watch there is.

Because of that, I chose the ARF as it is also much less than the NOOB despite the NOOB having the real rep movement.

Whats the difference in movement anyway aside from non functional 3 and 9 dials?

If you read all 1700+ posts, you should know by now :)

Last edited:

HotNHorny

Known Member
21/7/19
ARF is certainly a bargain...But the low power reserve is an issue. I take it off at 6pm after work, when I pick it the next morning, I have to adjust the time again...

Does a watch winder not work on the ARF? Say place it in a case that winds it automatically. I think it's less than $80 on Amazon.

Bobi01

2/2/19
Does a watch winder not work on the ARF? Say place it in a case that winds it automatically. I think it's less than $80 on Amazon.

That will help
i was in same position as you and i told you,if i full wind it,after 2-3 days it stops on the night and i needed to wind it again manually and set time
powers reserve is good but it winds bad with stock arf rotor...havier fix the problem,just find the watchsmith who wanna do this job,show him all instructions and thats it,costs about 50 dolars

ashu2289

I'm Pretty Popular
16/6/13
There are also models with 2 ticks with New clasp but without Rehaut engraving and SuperLuminova available.
I have seen such GEN models.

To be than period correct, you can sand down the Rehault engraving

I guess New Clasp and without Rehaut Engraving never existed in Gen. Rehaut engraved started with Late Z and Old clasp came till M serial.
Any model with V serial or random serials later came with New Clasp and they were ALL reheat engraved.
Anything you are seeing without Rehaut engraved and New Clasp has definitely Clasp changed.

Reactions: Nur-Uhr

Bobi01

2/2/19
Im interested in buying JF daytona caseback or noob caseback,if someone wanna sell let me know

swink6112

Known Member
15/7/20
My two cents and I'm also just a beginner in the rep game. From owning both Noob V3 and ARF V2, I can say with extreme certainty that for beginners who are looking for a simple answer on which is better right out of the box, here's my opinion on both.

ARF
OOTB the ARF will look more gen-like and solid. But the 3 and 9 o'clock position sub dials do not work. So if you want a more gen like "looking" watch OOTB, pick ARF. The bracelet feels more solid and the contrast between the brush and polished links stands out more while the Noob will sometimes look more blended. And the power reserve for the ARF is around 48 hrs tops with proper winding while Noob is more towards the 72 hrs length. As for the chrono only the second hand will move while the minute and hour hands will not so timing a race or boiling an egg is a no go, LOL.

Noob
OOTB The Noob while still gorgeous will look less gen-like compared to the ARF but it comes with a fully function chrono which to many is a must. And the rotor is more silent compared to the noisy ARF rotor. And the movement of the second hand at 6 o'clock position sweeping motion is way smoother and gen-like than the ARF. Can never get tired of looking at it. ARF second hand movement isn't as smooth.

So it just boils down to preference. Me personally find myself picking up the ootb ARF more as a daily wearer than the ootb Noob due to how good it looks on the wrist and my lack of interest in using the chrono to time anything. But keep in mind that these two factories are at the top of their game in terms of looks and quality so you can't really go wrong either way.

Noob OOTB = Performs more like gen. Movement looks like gen as well. Absolutely amazing.
ARF OOTB = Looks and feels more like gen and less expensive. No chrono.

So pick your poison or...

Experts will say to use the Noob body and movement with the ARF dial+bezel and bracelet/clasp.Seems like the best of both worlds. Oh and for someone wondering which color dial looks closer to gen, the black dial on both Noob and ARF. Hope this helps a struggling beginner just like myself. And I apologize if this point have been mentioned before. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: PastyMan

PastyMan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/8/20
CONUS
Experts will say to use the Noob body and movement with the ARF dial+bezel and bracelet/clasp.Seems like the best of both worlds. Oh and for someone wondering which color dial looks closer to gen, the black dial on both Noob and ARF. Hope this helps a struggling beginner just like myself. And I apologize if this point have been mentioned before. Cheers!

Great input and point of view. I have both (Black Dial) on order. Will be interesting to compare/contrast.

Reactions: swink6112

mcchicken

Known Member
22/5/20
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever try to put the SA4130 into an ARF Daytona?
Wondering about the possibility of working chronos.

Last edited:

Bobi01

2/2/19
Did someone ever did that?
also i think it is not worth because noob v3 latest batch have so much superior lugs and sels than the arf

Reactions: James2020

mcchicken

Known Member
22/5/20
So Noob is a better watch overall if it wasn't for the latest batch of Noob V3 panda dial that has the thin subdial issue.
Does anyone know where to get an ARF dial?
I am looking for one, thanks.

James2020

1/6/20
So Noob is a better watch overall if it wasn't for the latest batch of Noob V3 panda dial that has the thin subdial issue.

Either get one from forum member or buy the whole watch. TDs don’t sell the dial on its own

To increase your chances, you may want to post a “want to buy” post in the sales section

sc0ut84

Horology Curious
3/5/16

Eric from Geektime was actually able to source an ARF dial for me. It’s in the mail now :)