• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob Daytona vs ARF Daytona

Kornsoup

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/2/16
I think Noob has a better dial and ARF has the better bezel. Sorry for the glitch, I didn't notice it until right before I uploaded it.

afrgennoob.jpg

120 mark is off on GEN. Noob has the best bezel. (JK) lol

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14
I'm not sure if it's just because the Arf pic is slightly out of focus, but apart from the text size on the noob it's looking better

The text on the Noob is definitely crisper.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
If you were criticial about the clasp on the Noob 4130 bracelet, you cannot be now: Noob just updated it with a better one. One less thing to complain about. Just saw photos of it.
I know of course there are defects and tells and people should keep on bringing them up in the hopes of Noob taking notice and correcting them: the issues with the Noob dial are not just in the print quality, but also the 2-D shape of the indices and crown, the sizing of the sub-dial rings, and the lume quality. If they improve all of that, and their ceramic and SS timing ring (also not perfect, I know), then there is not much left for Noob to do except bump the whole mid-case up to 904L to have a thoroughly NWBIG rep. If the gen world takes notice of that development, then you will have about 10,000 impagtient, frustrated gen collectors ordering Noob Daytonas and taking their names off of the 8 year Rolex AD waiting list for the cer Daytona, dropping from that list like flies from a fly zapper. That development would amuse me if our TDs would not then have much longer waiting lists of their own. I think guru was hinting at this possible development in his previous posts: rep world meet gen world in collective Daytona fever.

TagHeuerFan1963

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
6/10/13
Earth
If you were criticial about the clasp on the Noob 4130 bracelet, you cannot be now: Noob just updated it with a better one. One less thing to complain about. Just saw photos of it.
I know of course there are defects and tells and people should keep on bringing them up in the hopes of Noob taking notice and correcting them: the issues with the Noob dial are not just in the print quality, but also the 2-D shape of the indices and crown, the sizing of the sub-dial rings, and the lume quality. If they improve all of that, and their ceramic and SS timing ring (also not perfect, I know), then there is not much left for Noob to do except bump the whole mid-case up to 904L to have a thoroughly NWBIG rep. If the gen world takes notice of that development, then you will have about 10,000 impagtient, frustrated gen collectors ordering Noob Daytonas and taking their names off of the 8 year Rolex AD waiting list for the cer Daytona, dropping from that list like flies from a fly zapper. That development would amuse me if our TDs would not then have much longer waiting lists of their own. I think guru was hinting at this possible development in his previous posts: rep world meet gen world in collective Daytona fever.

I hope this happens these Rolex guys are insane with this 8 year wait when they make 1 million watches a year.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Toaday I have received 2 noob 116520 in black. Both are V2 versions. Ordered 3 weeks ago and received QC 2 days later.

SEL on both watches is good, no gaps. So they must have improved the quality on it. The printing on the dial is much better then V1, fonds are still off. Now the subdials are not even close to the gen. Color is not right and the size is too big. When I compare it with my 116520 in white, the subdials are much better on the white one. Size and color are 100 %gen. So if you do not want to franken it, go with the 116520 in white. Lume on all Noob watches is same as gen on holds over night. To me, the noob ceramic bezel is still the best.The ss bezel could be improoved but for the beginning it is ok. There are good quality ss aftermarket bezel available for $75. Check the latest picture with the quality of the ceramic bezel.

One point I have to made. When I got the 116500 black ceramic, the bezel was misaligned. After we changed the rep dial to a gen dial, the missalignment was gone. Sounds to me, that noob receives the case already assembled.

up to the pics

74bc95b20c0c76a400055c3fa1b8c892.jpg

2207cb29b85a0ac003469ce2486f8f8a.jpg

f95c1434aa1258590b58f9c684fe796f.jpg

2d23c01a60541bad49075e07cb3ac09b.jpg

My franken ceramic with gen dial compared to rep dial.
This dial is a CL lume dial for 116520 black

b0488d37b58393e6a2063d97e7f441b4.jpg

1fb678689f59a03d59faff0ef4f483b7.jpg

993f4d0104f04279be1ed985a9dd7b69.jpg

noob v2 black dial compared to noob v2 white dial

cc4a05e89ba222159d2352c33c85b804.jpg

92a74db95ca7363083702c137f11a439.jpg

d34f520ea235955cc43f13fcfd9c0a73.jpg

Franken ceramic compared with noob v2
148c6f0cf620146974d082230b7ee247.jpg

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
Thanks for the comparison! Very useful information
It seems the subdial on 116500 are still thicker but not as the black version

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Thanks for the comparison! Very useful information
It seems the subdial on 116500 are still thicker but not as the black version

The subdials on the 116500 are gen. It is a gen dial

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Toaday I have received 2 noob 116520 in black. Both are V2 versions. Ordered 3 weeks ago and received QC 2 days later.

SEL on both watches is good, no gaps. So they must have improved the quality on it. The printing on the dial is much better then V1, fonds are still off. Now the subdials are not even close to the gen. Color is not right and the size is too big. When I compare it with my 116520 in white, the subdials are much better on the white one. Size and color are 100 %gen. So if you do not want to franken it, go with the 116520 in white. Lume on all Noob watches is same as gen on holds over night. To me, the noob ceramic bezel is still the best.The ss bezel could be improoved but for the beginning it is ok. There are good quality ss aftermarket bezel available for $75. Check the latest picture with the quality of the ceramic bezel.

One point I have to made. When I got the 116500 black ceramic, the bezel was misaligned. After we changed the rep dial to a gen dial, the missalignment was gone. Sounds to me, that noob receives the case already assembled.

up to the pics

That 116500 white dial is awful, buddy. Let me put it out of his misery, (I'll PM you my address :dribble:).

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
Thanks for sharing. Doesn't really look much better.

​​​​​​​

Having owned ARF, Noob, and gen 116500 Daytona dials. The Noob's subdials rings are slightly thicker then the gen's subdial rings and the ARF's subdial rings are slightly thinner. I'll try to post comparison pictures sometime.
Guys my bad but for the 116500 I was referring to this pictures... The while noob dial seems closer to the gen than the noob black dial

PgrPgrPG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/5/18
Maybe because I need the chrono function for boiling my soft-boiled 7-Minute eggs in the morning and then in the evening for my pasta al dente, I will always be wearing a functioning chrono at those times of the day. Rolexwatchfan is right on target and so is guru: the Noob 4130 movement is probably the most significant capex investment Noob has made in replication in many, many years: it is a monster achievement. Noob have successfully simulated a high-performance, high-cost (> $5,000) chrono movement and are selling it at less than 1/10th the cost of the genuine movement at 98% of the quality. Personally, I do not want to promote this watch too much (uh oh, denegation) because it will only make it harder to greedily purchase yet more of them for my personal Franken projects. The whole obsessive macro culture of SELs (not so bad on Noob) and dial prints (one tick, two tick, etc.) is missing the point on this release: it is almost all about the movement…. With the Daytona bubble which make it almost impossible for us little sailors to lay our hands on a gen Cer Daytona for the next 8 years (!!!) this will do fine, and might even be the exit rep from the long waiting list at the snooty Rolex Ads and a relief from the Hodinkee-driven Daytona bull market. With full functionality, AND (if you really need it, I am not convinced you do) full compatability with all of the sweet goodies available on the M2M parts grey market…and a movement that can be turned up above 300amp by any mildly experienced mod monkey (me included) and with more than 80 hours PR… I will happily bow to Mr. Creme de la Creme for the one achievement in the last 4 years from them that is restoring my faith in them. Well done Noob!

Fully agree with all comment. In addition, couldn’t bear wearing a Daytona with not working sub-dial chronometer. This is really the worst thing I would think about every time looking at it... kind of obsessional behaviour and huge frustration... but that’s just me...

PgrPgrPG

Reactions: GregH and timnic54

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
Some of the ARF Daytona lovers should come to Bangkok where I live . We have girls here with all kind of stuff that doesn’t function or shouldn’t be there Also missing functional stuff that should be there.
One should avoid that kind of replicas...

Surgeonmd

21/1/17
Some of the ARF Daytona lovers should come to Bangkok where I live . We have girls here with all kind of stuff that doesn’t function or shouldn’t be there Also missing functional stuff that should be there.

Lol! Thats true. First thing i look at is the face then the hands. Haha ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spunky

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Thanks for this review OP, you have added to the list of reps I want to acquire. Grrrgh.

Has multipost been turned off in this new website? It didn't work for me when I went to next page.

Pet peeve: People quoting the entirety of post in reply, when it is a page or even more long, replicating the entire pics.

timnic54, I agree with your considerations for purchasing a rep. A working chrono is a must. Additional thing for me is timekeeping ability. What use is a watch on one's wrist, if one has to double check the time on the phone?

OP, thanks again for your review of Noobs time keeping abilities, i.e. accuracy and power reserve data. The white seems to be closer to rep per comments, a question I have for those who have seen both is: which is easier to read time off in difficult lighting situations? Low light, bright light, glare etc? i.e. white or black?

Reactions: Hinclimincli