• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Datejust 116234 36mm PROJECT

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Hi guys,

I present to you my latest datejust build. I'll mostly let the pics do the talking.
Here it goes :

SEL sits very tight between the lugs, very hard to remove.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Stock ARF hands / dial (pretty good) :

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

next to the gen dial :

image.jpg

Gen dial :

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Removing the stock hands :

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next, i remove the DW :

image.jpg

image.jpg

In order for the gen DW to fit in the date changing mechanism, you must take the plate off and slightly pull the 3 studs holding the DW in place a little higher . You could try and use a flat screwdriver to pry these but i found it risky as the studs can easly snap :

image.jpg

Here you can see the top stud snapped and i had to rotate it :

image.jpg

image.jpg

Safest way is to gently push them from underneath :

image.jpg

If you do snap a stud just simply rotate it like so :

image.jpg

Here you can see how it sits a bit rised :

image.jpg

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Even with the modification mentioned above the gen used for this project still didn't fit. The funny thing is that the other gen dw i've had did fit however but the font was thinner. I don't know how many of you know but the latest datejsut uses a thicker date font than the Sub for ex.

EDIT: thanks to @2fake4u i just found out that by removing the pink jewl the dw would fit for sure . Thanks !

Since i had a spare sa3135 i decided to use that instead, as this took the gen dw without any mods :

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gen hads in place:

The minute and the hour hand are almost the same but the seconds hand is much better on the gen .

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gen on the right:

image.jpg

ARF is a little thicker

image.jpg

ARF:

image.jpg

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

GEN:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Swapping the stem :

image.jpg

Ouch! since the arf crown is thicker, the gen crown doest screw all the way in !

image.jpg

Since i didn't had a gen tube to go with the crown my only solution was to grind away the tube a bit. Just enaugh not to ruin the inside groove holding the o-ring.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Voila !

image.jpg

Finished piece :

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed the pics above. The datejust is an amazing watch and i certainly hope i get my hands on a gen piece someday !
Please keep in mind this project served only as means of recreation and it had no commercial purpose ! :)

HQ pics will follow !

Last edited:

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
nice build.

whyd you swap in an sa3135 though?

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
nice build.

whyd you swap in an sa3135 though?

Thx !

Although i tried modding the date changing mechanism to accept the gen dw it didn't. I had a spare sa3135 that accepted the gen dw without any modificatiom, so i used that instead.

Sent from the RWI App

2fake4u

20/9/16
Thx !

Although i tried modding the date changing mechanism to accept the gen dw it didn't. I had a spare sa3135 that accepted the gen dw without any modificatiom, so i used that instead.

Sent from the RWI App

remove the jewel that is at 23 in this picture. pop the jewel out from the back of the top plate.

IMG_0866-1024x768.jpg

Reactions: Spatiumtemporis

Denny14

Known Member
7/9/16
Thank you so much for the info.
Beautiful watch, congratulations for the mod.​​​:worthy::worthy::worthy::drooling::drooling:

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
Great pictorial and great looking outcome! I’m happy working on cheapos, but decided to send my dj to a professional for a similar build

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Absolutely fantastic. I wish I could afford some gen parts, but as of currently, I would only do a noob dw and a movement service. Thanks op for the great photos

Thanks. The watch is already great ootb so a noob dw will pretty much be the only necessary mod if you re not going the franken route.

The crystal has ar on both sides so the blackhole effect is almost gen like.

Sent from the RWI App

ssouthall6

10/10/13
4b993fec3cf5dd08349599dc23471d2e.jpg

848abb61c2188fb8562cbb4fff068526.jpg

Mine says hi :)

Gen dial, crown, tube, stem, crystal and dw.

Think I'm gonna add white gold bezel and hands to finish it off, and get a rebrush and Polish.

ARF killed it with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
As i told you in the other thread, i'm looking for a mini franken DJ
How much it costed you all ?
I've just bought the gen datewheel roulette and would like to add the blue dial but it's a mission impossible to find one at human prices ...